Re: Is it just me hearing QRO stations?

John Huber

Chris / NU1O and all,

Sometimes an operator chooses to work a contest knowing they are not following one or more rules, for whatever reason.  Maybe the individual set a goal of worked all states during the contest on a single band? Maybe they just had the amp repaired and needed a good shakedown test.  Whatever the reason, IF they do not submit a log EXCEPT as a check log, then they are not cheating the entrants who follow the rules. 

Most contest organizers would like to see ANYONE who made contacts during a contest to submit a log.  That helps with the log checking of those logs entered in the contest.  I encourage everyone who makes even 1 casual contest contact to at least submit a check log. That one verified contact could affect the results for the other operator, like in the 2014 WRTC. 

73,  John / N8FYL

Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2018 10:24
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@...
Subject: Re: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Is it just me hearing QRO stations?

The first year I particpated in the NAQP I didn't know the maximum power was capped at 100 watts so I ran my amp.  I was back in ham radio after a very long break, late to the contest, and I simply didn't read the rules.  Things seemed odd, however. Signals weren't as strong as a normal contest and I was getting a lot of reports on how strong I was. So, I read the rules and I realized I was using too much power.  Naturally I didn't submit that log.  Lesson learned was to first read the rules before entering any contest.

Yesterday I was "running" stations on 20 meters when I got a call from a local ham who was barely above the noise level.  Normally he's 20 over S9 when my beam is his way which it was. He said he was running 5 watts as opposed to my 1K.  I told him the limit for NAQP was 100 watts and that's what I was using.  That ham has been licensed for 40 years but he's not a big contestor and he just asssumed legal limit power was the maximum allowed.

I have no doubt some people were cheating. Cheating happens in all contests,  but the NAQP is the only contest I can think of that limits power to 100 watts.  I'd be willing to bet quite a few of those using amps simply didn't read the rules.

Chris
nu1oscar@...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJP_Software_Users
Sent: Sat, Jan 20, 2018 5:00 pm
Subject: RE: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Is it just me hearing QRO stations? [1 Attachment]

[Attachment(s) from Dale included below]

Hearing the same……

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2018 4:47 PM
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@...
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Is it just me hearing QRO stations?

Working the NAQP and it seems a few boys are running QRO!

I hear relays and fans going, shame on them.

Back to the contest

N6OIL

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.