Re: ACL 5.x and TS-2000 not working quite right

David Head

Oh, 1 more thing from the manual:

SETTING UP
n Equipment Needed
• A PC equipped with an RS-232C serial port.
• One straight cable. This cable must have a 9-pin
D-Sub RS-232C female connector at one end, and
at the other end a 9-pin or a 25-pin D-Sub
RS-232C female connector that mates with the
RS-232C port of your computer.
• Transceiver control application

Take a close look.  "One straight cable"   This is a bugaboo with the TS-2000, it needs a cable with the pins wired between the 2 connectors in a 1-for-1 fashion  pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc. without the otherwise helpful crossover where most cables switch wires - where pin 2 is wired to pin 3 on the opposing connectors, and 3 to 2 going the other way.   It needs to be wired Pin 2 to pin 2, and pin 3 to pin 3.

I _think_ this is what you need:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/52030/6ft-db9-m-f-serial-rs232-extension-cable-black#reviews

An extension cable _should_ logically not swap those pins 2 and 3, and that's what you need for the TS-2000.

Dave Head
K8DH

At 09:46 AM 11/7/2016, you wrote:

Hi Mike,

I just fired up my system, and here are my settings for my TS-2000:

First, I checked the radio itself, using menu 56 to see that the rig is using 9600 for the com port settings.   You can change it to whatever you want, I think the default was 4800 when I first started setting this up.

I'm using Kenwood 2 settings on the ACL software.
Have 9.6 rselected in the ACL software
Have Parity = none selected in the ACL software
Have Data Bits = 8  selected in the ACL software
Have Stop bits = 1  selected in the ACL software
Under "Connector Power" have RTS  selected in the ACL software
Have "Radio Polling" = 2 sec  selected in the ACL software
Have "Mode Determined by Rig"  selected in the ACL software
Have "Use Frequency on Main Form" checked in the check box  selected in the ACL software
Command to read frequency is (either IF; or LF;) not sure which selected in the ACL software

Checking the TS-2000 manual, "IF;", as in India Foxtrot, is the correct command to send the TS-2000 to read the transceiver parameters including the frequency.

Command to read mode is BD;  selected in the ACL software

Looking at the manual, I kinda question the "BD" for reading the mode, but that's what its set to and it works, so don't ask me.  The manual says that "BD;" moves the band down, as opposed to "BU;" which moves the band up.   But... that's what I have, and again it seems to work.

Dave Head
K8DH

At 07:33 PM 11/6/2016, you wrote:

First, my apologies for my FFS (fat finger syndrome) that allowed me to send a blank message. Please overlook an old man's problems.

I am have a rig control issue with ACL 5.x and my TS-2000.
Under the Settings tab:
Select Rig = Kenwood2 (and I have also tried Kenwood)
COM3 in use
Baud Rate = 9.6 (and all others tested as well)
N82 for Parity, bits, stop (also tried N81)
Connection Power = RTS
Polling Rate = 2 sec (all other values also tested)
Mode Determined = Radio
Use Frequency on Main Form is checked.
Polling Test seems normal.
"To test the change frequency command..." works for frequency and mode.
Multi Radio Configuration is not used.

The issue is when rig control is active and I enter a Call, tab over to Date (correctly filled), then tab over to Band ACL will always fill the box as "20" not the band the radio is actually tuned to. If I manually set the Band to something like "40" it is immediately reset to "20".

The Power box will default to "25" and will not track the power setting on the TS-2000.

Also, when I tab to the Frequency field the default is displayed as "7.070" and will not track the radio.

Call sign look up is correct.

I suspect there is something I'm overlooking but I can't find it. Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome. No flames, please.

Thanks in advance and best 73 to all.
Mike
W4WYI