Re: Would this be Cool - Check Entity Status in AC Log While Contesting?

Mark W

Scott,

Will this include eQSL and/or LOTW? Or will there be a setting to choose which confirmation applies? I have many QSOs confirmed by eQSL and not LOTW. Myself, I would only be interested in the LOTW confirmations.

Thanks for your great work!

Mark

K3MRK

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@... [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@...]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:49 AM
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@...
Subject: Re: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Would this be Cool - Check Entity Status in AC Log While Contesting?

Scott, thanks for the explanation.  I did not realize that LoTW confirmations could be downloaded into AC Log from LoTW.  That doesn't, of course, mean that an entity is "confirmed" in DXCC or any other award, only that it is "confirmed" in AC Log.

I think you're onto something very clever with your idea.  I'll be interested in seeing how it develops. In the meantime, I will look into downloading my LoTW confirms onto AC Log.

73, George

On May 18, 2016, at 5:22 AM, Scott & Kimberly Davis SNKDavis@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@...> wrote:

Hi George,

Thanks for your thoughts.  In the approach I'm coding, an entity will be considered confirmed if it is marked as confirmed in AC Log on the band and mode queried.  If you don't already have all your records in your AC Log file, you can just click the All Confirmed button under Download on the LoTW form to bring in all your LoTW confirmations.  That still leaves card only confirmations, but you can always export your other log files via ADIF and merge them into AC Log to easily create a master file you can use while contesting.

Implementing the AC Log lookup from the contesting software keeps my plate more than full here, but the API I've coded makes any change to the country field available to any connected application, so anyone with the interest and ambition could simulate what I'm planning with AC Log, using other data sources.

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
From: George georgek5kg@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
To: N3FJP_Software_Users <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2016 7:31 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Would this be Cool - Check Entity Status in AC Log While Contesting?

Scott, the idea of using the API to see if a "new" entity is confirmed is cleaver.  It does, however, bring up the question of the meaning of an "entity being confirmed".  For me, I think of an entity as being confirmed if it is credited to my DXCC Award.  So, if I understand what you are proposing here, it sounds like I would need to have an "AC Log" log that contains all of my confirmed DXCC entities by Band and Mode.  That sounds like quite a chore to build that file in AC Log, and keep it current as the number of confirmed DXCC entities grows.

So, along these lines, have you considered the possibility of somehow having the API connect to a users DXCC entity file [instead of AC Log] to query the confirmation.  Seems like you would have to work with the DXCC folks at the League to see if that would be feasible. 

Another possible approach might be to have the API reach out to the LoTW database to do a query for a confirmation.  That too would have to be discussed with the League.  Of course, this would not really confirm a DXCC entity, only that a QSO with some station had been "confirmed" in LoTW.

Another possible approach to being "confirmed" could simply mean that you had received a QSL card or an LoTW confirmation, and you keep track of those confirmations in AC Log.  This, of course, would have nothing to do with DXCC or any other award confirmations, such as WAC, WAS, etc.

Lots of interesting possibilities here, but not without some thought as to how a meaningful database of "entities" can be made available.

73, George, K5KG

On 5/17/2016 2:09 PM, Scott & Kimberly Davis SNKDavis@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] wrote:

Hi Gang,

Something that I've always wondered while working contests is whether the juicy DX I am calling is confirmed on that band and mode in AC Log or not.  In fact, some contests are as much about collecting new entities as the event itself!

I still have a lot of coding to go, but I think with my new API, I can make that happen!  The concept is that you can optionally connect to Amateur Contact Log via API from any contesting program.  When you tab from the Call field in the contesting program, a status query will go out to AC Log to see if the Country is confirmed on that band and mode.  If the entity is not confirmed, you'll see a display something like this (CQ WW software in use):

<Image>

That's the direction I'm heading.  If anyone has any suggestions for course corrections, now is the time!

Lord willing, I hope to have this implemented before the fall contest season begins!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-- 
George Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL
941-400-1960

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.