Re: Online Data Backup

Pat Whelton

Hi Chris.  Not sure if this will be of any value to you but I stopped using both Microsoft's backup utility and Acronis’ backup software after they both failed to do their jobs.  I have since been using a Microsoft utility called SyncToy and have been very happy with it.  I don’t backup my operating system nor any of the software that can be reloaded from CDs.  I backup the following files: 

ACLog
Turbo Tax
Quicken
email contacts
Documents
Photos

The files are not encrypted or compressed.  They are ready to use.  I bought a 32 gig thumb drive and have it permanently installed on on extra USB port.  The thumb drive is external to the rest of the system so if there is a crash it should be OK.  My backups occur daily at 4:00 pm.

I’m not sure how to backup ACLog after “each” QSO but it does do a  backup when you close the program.  Sorry I can’t help there.

Regards,

Pat - KZ5J

Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:36 PM
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Online Data Backup

Yesterday I was deleting a log entry and while the green bar was slowly moving across the top I believe I tried to edit an entry. When the process ended 20,000 of my 39,000 QSOs were missing. Fortunately, I had backed up my log to a CD at the end of the previous night's operating session and I had uploaded some of yesterday's entries to LoTW but not all of them.

After retrieving the missing data from LoTW and retrieving the data from the CD I lost about a half dozen QSOs.  Thankfully none were new band slots. I just put up a 40 meter rotary dipole and I'm new to the band so I've been working a few new band slots almost daily for the past few weeks. Sometimes I upload to LoTW after each QSO but when I work a bunch of QSOs in succession that becomes impractical.

Additionally, I normally back my log up to a thumb drive but that stopped working a few days ago and I haven't bought a new one yet.

This incident has me thinking about using an online service to backup my data but I'm not familiar with what's out there and if I could configure AC Log to automatically backup my log after each and every QSO.  I don't see backup after each QSO as an option.

Is anybody backing up their data online and can AC Log be backed up after each QSO?  If you're using online backup what company and what's the rate?

Chris  NU1O

Join N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.