Re: Staying Connected to DX Spots

Pat Whelton

Good luck John.  I hope you get your issue resolved.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Staying Connected to DX Spots

Me too. Running Windows 7 on one machine and Windows 8.1 on another

John KE6K

Good luck.  Hope someone helps you.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:26 PM

Hi Gang,

I would also like to find out if there is a utility or a fix for this anomaly.  I have the same issue.
I’m good for approx a half hour 45 min or so before disconnect.  Running Windows 7.
If I run VE7CC by itself it will stay connected all day.

Bob
K6UJ

Hey Steve.  Thanks.  You don’t by any chance know of a utility that will send  a ping to VE7CC with a “-t” switch every second do you?  Also doesn't anyone think it odd that my connection has been 95% OK for the last couple of years and now it’s like do-do?

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:44 PM

Pat,

I suspect that Scott and John are on the right track to your disconnects.  Something else that will cause this problem is the “aging” of the translation table in your router/firewall.  If the firewall doesn’t see regular activity between your computer and the telnet host, it will remove the entry from the translation table.

You might be able to keep the translation table entry active (depending on the router software) by running a continuous “ping” from your computer to the telnet host.  Open a DOS Command window (run the program “CMD”), then use the ping command with the “-t” switch to ping the telnet host once per second.

Good luck!

73, Steve N9IP
--
Steve Belter, seb@...

From: "'Pat Whelton' pwhelton@... [N3FJP_Software_Users]" <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 4:31 PM
To: "N3FJP_Software_Users@..." <N3FJP_Software_Users@...>

Hi John.  Thanks for the input.  I tried that several days ago.  No luck.  But thanks for the suggestion.

Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 3:25 PM

Make sure you have 3min keep alive checked. If spots are
coming slowly many spot servers will disconnect clients if
they don't see a 'ping' or ack from the client within 3min.

wrote:

> Hi Mark. I’m sorry you have the problem too but I’m glad I’m
> not going crazy and that someone other than myself has the
> same problem. What do you do when it happens? Do you just
> reconnect 40-50 times a day?
> Pat - KZ5J

However, a large number of electrons were terribly
inconvenienced !

k9ij@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor