Topics

WSJT-X SO2R Highlighting

Jon KM8V

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like when running two instances of WSJT-X in an SO2R configuration, the callsign highlighting is inconsistent.

Working in the VHF contest, very often a dupe is highlighted blue or red.

It seems to happen when the station is NOT a dupe on the other radio/band, as if it's picking whichever one it sees first but is not taking in to account that there are two instances of WSJT-X.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Rick Ellison

I will double check the coding of the mult routine as soon as I get a chance..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jon KM8V
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:09 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MM+] WSJT-X SO2R Highlighting

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like when running two instances of WSJT-X in an SO2R configuration, the callsign highlighting is inconsistent.

It seems to happen when the station is NOT a dupe on the other radio/band, as if it's picking whichever one it sees first but is not taking in to account that there are two instances of WSJT-X.

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Jon KM8V

Thanks, Rick.

For another data point, the N1MM Decode List windows seem to always be correct. It's the highlighting inside WSJT-X itself that seems off.

Chet, N8RA

Yes I see something similar. For ssb/voice SO2R I have both radios on one instance of N1MM+. When running WSJT on SO2R 6 and 2 meters, I use separate networked computers. I switch radio 1’s logging and control to a second computer to run one band independently of radio 2 which stays on the main computer. The colors of radio 1 on the second computer get marked correctly. Radio 2 though does not have the colors correct so I cannot trust it. I was thinking I had something not set right between the two computers and N1MM/WSJT setups but am unable to find any differences.

Please let me know if I can help this investigation.

Chet, N8RA

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jon KM8V

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Rick Ellison

In an earlier message someone said the colors in the N1MM WSJT Decode window were correct but were not in WSJT. Is that a correct statement or not?

73 Rick N2AMG

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chet, N8RA
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] WSJT-X SO2R Highlighting

Yes I see something similar. For ssb/voice SO2R I have both radios on one instance of N1MM+. When running WSJT on SO2R 6 and 2 meters, I use separate networked computers. I switch radio 1’s logging and control to a second computer to run one band independently of radio 2 which stays on the main computer. The colors of radio 1 on the second computer get marked correctly. Radio 2 though does not have the colors correct so I cannot trust it. I was thinking I had something not set right between the two computers and N1MM/WSJT setups but am unable to find any differences.

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

ERIC OLSON

If radio 2 is tuned to 2 meters 6 meter spots will not be colored correctly.  Maybe need to filter spots to just the band radio 2 is using?

Eric N7EPD

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of Chet, N8RA <chetsubaccount@...>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 5:36:12 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io>

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

ERIC OLSON

By spots I meant WSJT decode list calls.

Eric

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of ERIC OLSON <ericn7epd@...>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 7:05:47 AM

If radio 2 is tuned to 2 meters 6 meter spots will not be colored correctly.  Maybe need to filter spots to just the band radio 2 is using?

Eric N7EPD

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of Chet, N8RA <chetsubaccount@...>

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Rick Ellison

Do you have 2 decode windows open. The mults shown in the decode window are based on the band that the the wsjt it is associated with is currently on. Decode window one follows WSJT for EW1 Decode window 2 follows the WSJT for EW2.

73 Rick N2AMG

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of ERIC OLSON
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 10:08 AM

By spots I meant WSJT decode list calls.

Eric

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of ERIC OLSON <ericn7epd@...>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 7:05:47 AM

Eric N7EPD

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

I think, but not positive, that the decode list and wsjt s display matched on the computer that had the good color coding. But I was mainly watching the wsjt window so cannot be positive.

On the other computer with the incorrect color coding, I think both windows were not correct, but again not positive. On this radio I wound up mainly CQing to avoid working dupes, or checking my  log if tempted to answer someone else’s CQ.

Chet, N8RA

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Ellison
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 9:11 AM

In an earlier message someone said the colors in the N1MM WSJT Decode window were correct but were not in WSJT. Is that a correct statement or not?

73 Rick N2AMG

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chet, N8RA

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Jon KM8V

For my reported issue, SO2R on one computer, two instances of WSJT-X that is a correct statement. I had two decode lists up, one for each radio, and they were correct. The issue I am reporting is with the highlighting in the WSTJ-X Band Activity windows.

Rick Ellison

Jon..

If you remember what color that was different from the decode window compared to WSJT. When the message is received from WSJT the call is processed for its mult status and then it get printed to the decode list as soon as that is done a message is sent to WSJT informing it of the callsign and what color it should be coloring it. I’m trying to figure how the color is changing from the time it is printed to what is displayed in WSJT.

73 Rick

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jon KM8V
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:33 PM

For my reported issue, SO2R on one computer, two instances of WSJT-X that is a correct statement. I had two decode lists up, one for each radio, and they were correct. The issue I am reporting is with the highlighting in the WSTJ-X Band Activity windows.

Chet, N8RA

Rick,

I’ve turned on my setup with the two radios and computers with my weekend’s contest log opened and will monitor the FT-8 freqs for a while.

Eventually I should capture some activity showing what colors are where and will give you a more definite description.

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chet, N8RA
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 10:57 AM

Hi Rick,

I think, but not positive, that the decode list and wsjt s display matched on the computer that had the good color coding. But I was mainly watching the wsjt window so cannot be positive.

On the other computer with the incorrect color coding, I think both windows were not correct, but again not positive. On this radio I wound up mainly CQing to avoid working dupes, or checking my  log if tempted to answer someone else’s CQ.

Chet, N8RA

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Ellison

73 Rick N2AMG

To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groupsio

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Chet, N8RA

Well that did not take long.

On the main computer with a 2M WSJT EW2 window:

The decode list has a call  that is not a new call or mult incorrectly marked red, but it is correctly shown with a grey background in the WSJT band activity pane. Another call that is a new call but not a new mult is shown red on the decode list and also has a red background on the band activity pane.

On the second computer with a 6M WSJT EW1 window:

The decode list call text colors correctly matches the band activity pane call background colors: two new mults show red in both, two dupes show greyed in both, and a new call shows blue in both.

Chet, N8RA

(In my case the WSJT band activity colors are very easy to recognize- all call text is white with its field background box being the color code and the rest of all lines have a green background and black text. Very easy to interpret quickly Maybe I need to fiddle with my color scheme setups.)

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of Chet, N8RA
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 3:04 PM

Rick,

I’ve turned on my setup with the two radios and computers with my weekend’s contest log opened and will monitor the FT-8 freqs for a while.

Eventually I should capture some activity showing what colors are where and will give you a more definite description.

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Yes I see something similar. For ssb/voice SO2R I have both radios on one instance of N1MM+. When running WSJT on SO2R 6 and 2 meters, I use separate networked computers I switch radio 1’s logging and control to a second computer to run one band independently of radio 2 which stays on the main computer. The colors of radio 1 on the second computer get marked correctly. Radio 2 though does not have the colors correct so I cannot trust it. I was thinking I had something not set right between the two computers and N1MM/WSJT setups but am unable to find any differences.

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

ERIC OLSON

Sorry but I have to ask.  Does N1MM on the main computer for 2m show the same frequency as WSJT?  Or at least show N1MM is on 2m?

Eric N7EPD

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 12:49:39 PM

The decode list has a call  that is not a new call or mult incorrectly marked red, but it is correctly shown with a grey background in the WSJT band activity pane. Another call that is a new call but not a new mult is shown red on the decode list and also has a red background on the band activity pane.

The decode list call text colors correctly matches the band activity pane call background colors: two new mults show red in both, two dupes show greyed in both, and a new call shows blue in both.

Chet, N8RA

(In my case the WSJT band activity colors are very easy to recognize- all call text is white with its field background box being the color code and the rest of all lines have a green background and black text. Very easy to interpret quickly Maybe I need to fiddle with my color scheme setups.)

Rick,

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Yes I see something similar. For ssb/voice SO2R I have both radios on one instance of N1MM+. When running WSJT on SO2R 6 and 2 meters, I use separate networked computers I switch radio 1’s logging and control to a second computer to run one band independently of radio 2 which stays on the main computer. The colors of radio 1 on the second computer get marked correctly. Radio 2 though does not have the colors correct so I cannot trust it. I was thinking I had something not set right between the two computers and N1MM/WSJT setups but am unable to find any differences.

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Chet, N8RA

Yes and no.

If I start N1MM+ and type a 2M freq, it applies the transverter offset and shows that 2M freq.

When I start up WSJT from that window (radio 2 of SO2R), EW2 WSJT opens and after a few seconds shows that freq and its lights go green.

If I choose the 2M FT8 freq in WSJT, it puts the radio there and both show that 2M freq.

But….if I minimize N1MM+ and then restore it, it no longer has the 2M freq, it shows the IF freq which is on 28 Mhz in my case, while WSJT still shows the full 2M FT8 freq and its big red square stays green. The Radio 2 bandmap also changes back to 10M.

Perhaps this is a clue? I will try going to manual control for the N1MM+ radio 2 and set it to 2M and monitor WSJT sigs and see how the colors behave.

Chet, N8RA

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of ERIC OLSON
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 4:16 PM

Sorry but I have to ask.  Does N1MM on the main computer for 2m show the same frequency as WSJT?  Or at least show N1MM is on 2m?

Eric N7EPD

Chet, N8RA

Rick,

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

ERIC OLSON

Yes when N1MM thinks it is on 10M everything is a new contact and multiplier as far as the decode list is concerned.  Not sure why minimizing N1MM makes it switch to the I.F. frequency.  That is for the experts to figure out now.

Eric N7EPD

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 1:41:08 PM

Yes and no.

If I start N1MM+ and type a 2M freq, it applies the transverter offset and shows that 2M freq.

When I start up WSJT from that window (radio 2 of SO2R), EW2 WSJT opens and after a few seconds shows that freq and its lights go green.

If I choose the 2M FT8 freq in WSJT, it puts the radio there and both show that 2M freq.

But….if I minimize N1MM+ and then restore it, it no longer has the 2M freq, it shows the IF freq which is on 28 Mhz in my case, while WSJT still shows the full 2M FT8 freq and its big red square stays green. The Radio 2 bandmap also changes back to 10M.

Perhaps this is a clue? I will try going to manual control for the N1MM+ radio 2 and set it to 2M and monitor WSJT sigs and see how the colors behave.

Chet, N8RA

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> On Behalf Of ERIC OLSON

Eric N7EPD

Chet, N8RA

Rick,

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Chet, N8RA

Yes that looks like part of the issue Eric!

Only caught one fish so far with a manual radio setting but it was one of the stations CQing earlier today that now correctly shows grey in both places. Earlier with a transceiver offset connection that station had shown red in the decode list.

Chet, N8RA

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 4:49 PM

Yes when N1MM thinks it is on 10M everything is a new contact and multiplier as far as the decode list is concerned.  Not sure why minimizing N1MM makes it switch to the I.F. frequency.  That is for the experts to figure out now.

Eric N7EPD

Yes and no.

Chet, N8RA

Sorry but I have to ask  Does N1MM on the main computer for 2m show the same frequency as WSJT?  Or at least show N1MM is on 2m?

Eric N7EPD

Chet, N8RA

Rick,

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Rick Ellison

Thanks..

73 Rick

Rick,

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Rick Ellison

I will add this to my list..:)

Thanks

73 Rick

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 4:58 PM

Yes that looks like part of the issue Eric!

Only caught one fish so far with a manual radio setting but it was one of the stations CQing earlier today that now correctly shows grey in both places. Earlier with a transceiver offset connection that station had shown red in the decode list.

Chet, N8RA

Sent: Monday, January 20, 2020 4:49 PM

Eric N7EPD

Yes and no.

Chet, N8RA

Sorry but I have to ask  Does N1MM on the main computer for 2m show the same frequency as WSJT?  Or at least show N1MM is on 2m?

Eric N7EPD

Chet, N8RA

Rick,

Tnx and 73,

Chet, N8RA

Hi Rick,

Chet, N8RA

73 Rick N2AMG

Chet, N8RA

Thanks & 73 de KM8V Jon

Jon KM8V

Mostly what I was seeing were calls that were dupes (and properly indicated in grey in the decode list) showing up as Red or Blue in WSJT-X. It also seemed to be inconsistent as to if they showed up Red or Blue (multi or new), enough so that wasn't able to discern a pattern.

73 de KM8V