Topics

Uncommanded Shutdown

John N0TA

During the JARTS RTTY contest, I had N1MM shutdown several times. Most occurred when I quit for a couple hours. When I came back, N1MM was closed; however, 2Tone and GRTTY were still running. At least twice while I was operating, N1MM shutdown (with 2Tone and GRTTY continuing to run). I was chatting with a friend this morning who experienced exactly the same thing, so thought it was worth mentioning.

I had N1MM up all day Wednesday for the CWOps contest -- no problem. It continued to stay up through last night's Sprints, again no problem. One of last night's Sprints was RTTY, so not sure if RTTY is the cause.
  - 73, John, N0TA

Jim Sharp

I also experienced the N1MM+ shutdowns several times similar to N0TA.

It happened while operating rtty during the JARTS test, requiring shutting down all the decoder windows so I could make a clean startup.

It also happened while away from the rig/computer for an hour or so. Like it was timing out

ve3ki

Have you changed the settings in Windows to prevent it from shutting down USB ports to save power?

See <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown> for a description of the steps you need to take to do this.

If you have already done this and if a Windows update hasn't interfered with your settings, then something else is going on. Try using one RTTY decoder program at a time to see if you can isolate it to one of the programs.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 09:56 AM, Jim Sharp wrote:
I also experienced the N1MM+ shutdowns several times similar to N0TA.

It happened while operating rtty during the JARTS test, requiring shutting down all the decoder windows so I could make a clean startup.

It also happened while away from the rig/computer for an hour or so. Like it was timing out

ART W2NRA

And don’t forget to periodically recheck those USB ports on Device Manager.  Windows does occasionally turn them off.  On Rich’s post I rechecked and found 6 that were in sleep mode.

Thank you, Rich

73, Art W2NRA
CWOPS #1955

On Oct 24, 2020, at 10:12 AM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

Have you changed the settings in Windows to prevent it from shutting down USB ports to save power?

See <http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/PreventUSBPortPowerDown> for a description of the steps you need to take to do this.

If you have already done this and if a Windows update hasn't interfered with your settings, then something else is going on. Try using one RTTY decoder program at a time to see if you can isolate it to one of the programs.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 09:56 AM, Jim Sharp wrote:
I also experienced the N1MM+ shutdowns several times similar to N0TA.

It happened while operating rtty during the JARTS test, requiring shutting down all the decoder windows so I could make a clean startup.

It also happened while away from the rig/computer for an hour or so. Like it was timing out

Gary K9GS

Hi Art,

I wish someone would create an app to periodically disable the USB sleep state.

73,

Gary K9GS

[...]

Correction: Windows does occasionally Turn them On

And don’t forget to periodically recheck those USB ports on Device Manager.  Windows does occasionally turn them ON.  On Rich’s post I rechecked and found 6 that were in sleep mode.

73, Art W2NRA
CWOPS #1955

On Oct 24, 2020, at 11:15 AM, ART W2NRA via groups.io <w2nra@...> wrote:

And don’t forget to periodically recheck those USB ports on Device Manager.  Windows does occasionally turn them off.  On Rich’s post I rechecked and found 6 that were in sleep mode.

Thank you, Rich

73, Art W2NRA
CWOPS #1955

ART W2NRA

Hi Gary,

Yea, me too.  I've got a lot going on in my computer with an SO2V setup and dual spectrum displays (one for each VFO), I know I'm putting quite a load on it.

73, Art W2NRA
CWOPS #1955

On October 24, 2020 at 11:48 AM, Gary K9GS <k9gs@...> wrote:

[...]

Mac

I don't know about an app, but I have fabri-cobbled together a couple of Powershell scripts which will do this.

  • USB_Hubs_PwrSaveOff.ps1
    •  turns off the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting for any USB Hubs.

  • USB_SleepDisable.ps1
    • disables the "USB selective suspend setting" for the AC Power (Plugged in) option of the currently active power plan.

Both must run as administrator, and will request elevation  of privilege if not.

To run, execute

        powershell <scriptname>

Hope it helps.

73,