Topics

Trouble with Remote Spectrum Display

Rick Tavan

Before CQWW, I had Spectrum Display running at my radio QTH and relaying spectrum down to my city/control QTH. I took the Airspy HF+ with me to PZ5W where it worked great in a local configuration during the contest. After return, I re-installed the SDR but I'm having trouble getting spectrum data relayed back to the control QTH. There have been several releases of MM Logger since the last time it worked, so I'm not sure whether the problem is something I did or perhaps an introduced bug.

Configuration: K3 at both ends with microBit RRCs in between. Airspy HF+ at the radio site in the RX ANT loop. spyserver.exe running on an always-on server at the radio site. The server instance of MM has its spectrum window set up to relay to the external IP address of the control site on port 13064 and has source name Fi. At the radio site, port forwards are (still) in place for the basic MM/RemoteRig control functions and port 13064 is forwarded to the server computer that runs MM. At the control site, 13064 is forwarded to the logging computer where the spectrum window specifies Fi as the Source name. At the control site, MM sees the RRC, displaying its frequency in the Bandmap window and the SD window. It specifies Config | Broadcast | Radio to the external IP address of the radio site on port 13064. At the radio site, the SD window shows the frequency of the remotely-operated radio and the spectrum display looks correct. It follows band changes. At the control site, however, there is no spectrum data and the title bar says "Unnamed Scope Spectrum (Radio 1)" even though the right-click menu specifies the correct Source name. My son ran a network trace and sees nothing arriving at the router on 13064, so it looks like the radio side is not sending.

Am I missing a setting? I've carefully reviewed the setup documentation for this sort of configuration plus my own notes from getting it set up originally, but there may be a setting that was coincidentally correct before and now is wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

/Rick N6XI

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Tom - N1MM

If no packets are received on 13064 at the control site, then investigate why.

Did the external IP address of the control site change?

Reenter at the remote computer the relay ip addr:port e.g. 71.235.146.144:13064
Reenter at the remote computer the relay name

If still no results, at the remote site, open a new spectrum window and receive the data there.  i.e. forward the data to 127.0.0.1:13064 and see if you can get that working.

Tom

Rick Tavan

Thanks, Tom. I had tried all but that last suggestion of opening another window at the radio site and trying a local relay. Tried that just now and yes, the radio site server instance of MM can relay from one SD window to another on 127.0.0.1:13064. That suggests to me a problem getting data OUT of the server or the radio site. I didn't make any conscious changes to router settings that might prevent it and was under the impression (perhaps naive) that outbound traffic isn't constrained. But I can't guarantee that nothing changed "behind my back" during my month-long absence. In particular, Win 10 may have updated itself as it often does. I'm often baffled by the array of protections that Windows itself and all its little friends keep installing in order to "help" me. Maybe one of them is the culprit.

Happy holidays,

/Rick N6XI