Topics

Trigger a macro

Steve

In addition to triggering a macro with a function key, is there a way to trigger a macro from other events? Such as mode change to SSB, mode change to RTTY, band change to 20 meters, band change to 80 meters, etc?

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

Dave K2XR

You can trigger F-keys with a footswitch, however I use the footswitch in N1MM on SSB for that purpose (PTT/Normal)  but on cw  I have used it to send F4 (MYCALL) and can be set to trigger any number of the F keys but I never found it terribly useful.  It might be useful to switch radios, but I don't do SO2R  so never tried. Your mileage may vary and you asked... so there it is.

Footswitch wiring is in the online documentation, and configuration is is the configuration menu under hardware  ...  com 6 on my setup

Dave

K2XR

On 10/14/2019 9:45:23 PM, Steve wrote:
In addition to triggering a macro with a function key, is there a way to trigger a macro from other events? Such as mode change to SSB, mode change to RTTY, band change to 20 meters, band change to 80 meters, etc?

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

Tim Shoppa

Steve, do you want to do something really specific, like use a different rig antenna port depending on band, or use a different rig power setting depending on mode, by sending control character streams to the rig?

Extrapolating your request, something like the band-and-mode change automation you suggest, I do by enabling UDP Broadcast packets from N1MM and having a smart device (ESP8266 based) do the relay throw or whatever is necessary when it sees the new mode or new band. HOWEVER those relays are outside the rig.

As K2XR points out, footswitch launching of macros works with legacy or USB serial ports in N1MM. I could imagine some Rude Goldberg scheme where a UDP packet was picked up by an ESP8266 that emulated a footswitch press to a COM port that triggered a N1MM macro.

Tim N3QE

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 9:45 PM Steve <steve65@...> wrote:
In addition to triggering a macro with a function key, is there a way to
trigger a macro from other events? Such as mode change to SSB, mode
change to RTTY, band change to 20 meters, band change to 80 meters, etc?

Thanks.

Steve, K8JQ

Steve

Hi Tim,

I'm interested in using event triggered macros for two things.

One would be to reconfigure AutoSend when I transition from CW to SSB or the other way. I made some postings about that to this reflector over the weekend. There may be better ways to do this but event triggered macros (I think) would work.

Another task I'd like to accomplish with event triggered macros is configuration of the SPECTRUM SCOPE on my Icom 7851 transceiver. For instance, move to 40 meter CW and configure the SPECTRUM SCOPE to display 7.025-7.050MHz. Move to 75 meter SSB and configure the SPECTRUM SCOPE to display 3.800-3.900MHz. Use a macro to send CIV commands to the transceiver to accomplish what is now a manual operation.

Steve, K8JQ

On 10/15/2019 10:10 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

Andy (KU7T)

There are a few options, the sky is the limit. You need to find a trigger that you then can use to carry out your desired action. Trigger could be UI change, DB change, or UDP data sent from N1MM+. Examples of the first is how the original MorseRunner integration for code practice used to work. DB change example is how Athena works...  A better approach would be using UDP... See if this helps:
  1. Enable the UDP broadcast and verify that the information you want to trigger on is part of the information. And check that the data changes when the event (in N1MM+ or radio or any other device) occurs
  2. If you have verified that all information is available (1), you can use any other tool outside of N1MM+ anywhere on your local network to listen to the UDP and do the action (control antenna, send a message to another device, send email, brew coffee...)
The device could be any CPU (any CPU literally means any, like PC, Linux, Apple, Raspberry PI, Android smart phone, etc.) with some custom software.  I have been playing with Node-Red a little and it seems promising for this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYreeoCoQPI).

73
Andy
KU7T