Topics

Telnet #n1mm

InMiami Ale

Good evening to all, in recent days there have been changes on telnet links with some nodes the most used during the contests especially with the nodes nc7j, and w9ap. after several investigations I came to the conclusion that Microsoft changed something at the DNS level in fact the nodes mentioned above seem to work only in the United States but in Europe and other countries of South America did not telnet connect but it was not possible to see the online stations. I consulted with several emails with some friends of the n1mm team and with friend Dave w9ap and therefore to solve the problem will be required an update to the cluster dx of n1mm. For the moment I solved it in this way, connecting telnet to a reverse beacom node which is what it takes to us when we make contests and also serves for daily dx. So who still has problems as I understand for example in countries of South America and Central America to connect telnet of n1mm to the following node: telnet.reversebeacon.net:7000

open the telnet list editor and add the new node, Cluster Name, Telnet, URL: telnet.reversebeacon.net:7000

73 Ale
The photo above attached to the w9pa node as you see the fields on the right window are not populated.
the photo below with the new node that is working well, and as you see all the fields are populated.

Pete Smith

Alex, please DON'T advise people to connect to the telnet.reverse beacon.net:server.  That server is designed for feeding "retail" DX clusters such as NC7J, W9PA, VE7CC and W3LPL, as well as literally hundreds of nodes across the world.  The reversebeacon feed is stripped down for speed, and has absolutely no filters, such as spot origin by zone, country  or state

I have no idea what you encountered, but I think it is fantasy to think that Microsoft somehow changed things at the DNS level.  In fact, all of the nodes you mentioned are operating as expected right now.  I believe that what you were seeing from W9PA is an inter-node protocol, and it should not surprise anyone that the Available window is not displaying spots from it - the format is all "wrong" for the user level.  I don't know how you got into that - perhaps an incorrect port number?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 12/8/2019 4:51 PM, InMiami Ale wrote:

[...]

Ed W2LCQ

Pete N4ZR,

From your message I gather you watch over the RBN. Please allow me to thank you for such a fantastic reliable service. In the middle of the night when no one is responding to my CQs and I’m beginning to doubt if anyone is hearing my 100 watt signals off the end of my 30 ft wire antenna the RBN assures me that I’m being heard by many stations around the world and at decent SNRs too. Keep up the fine work. Much appreciated.

Best, Ed

Vy 73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

                   Frankford Radio Club
CWops 701 - SKCC 5474C - FISTS 12294

“My ear barely caught signals coming in regular succession which could not have been produced on earth.” —- Nicola Tesla

On Dec 8, 2019, at 11:04 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

<Cattura3.JPG>

The photo above attached to the w9pa node as you see the fields on the right window are not populated.
the photo below with the new node that is working well, and as you see all the fields are populated.

<Cattura9.JPG>

InMiami Ale

Hi Peter, I gave a tip to momentarily solve the problem, IN EUROPA AND OTHER COUNTRIES OF AMERICA AND SOUTH AMERICA THE NODI NC7J AND W9PA NOT FUNCTION MORE FROM SEVERAL DAYS AND THE solution That I DATO I SERVIVA ONLY TO FAR CONTINUE THE CONTEST DISSS THAT ERA ACTIVE IN THIS LAST WEEKEND. I also know that this is not a definitive solution, but since this weekend I had to finish the contest that I was doing to solve the problem momentarily I had to do a lot of checks on it and since only in the United States the nodes mentioned they worked and in the rest of the world there are problems don't you think something could have happened? The trivial thing that only with some logs the nodes function but only for a short time. Now we need to do a more severe analysis to understand until the extent to which the reasons for the malfunction in Europe of the nodes described above. I have already had a clear idea of the reasons and after 48 hours of analysis I already know where to intervene.

73 Ale

Max NG7M

Ale and others that are seeing PC protocol messages from a direct 'retail' AR6 node, you must have set output to the PC protocol... I know HRD will do this use the PC protocol for it's cluster connection (super irritating IMHO cluster sysops when users have questions later on).  To set your connection back to normal output, issue this command after connecting:

set dx output on

If you set the AR17 mode, you will get the PC codes... i.e. don't do this unless you know why you are setting this...:

set dx output AR17

Max NG7M (NC7J AR6 Cluster SysOp)

InMiami Ale

Hi Max I just came back from the qrl later after dinner I do some rehearsals. It was clear that something changed structurally but not knowing what I had to do with the investigation. thank you I'll let you know.

73 Ale