Topics

Switching Winkeyer between 2 radios.


Chuck Kraly K0XM
 

PLEASE read the full scenario before commenting guys.....
I am assisting Craig KY0O in setting up us TS590 (radio 1) and his TS2000 (radio two). I have the Winkey for Key1 going to the TS590, and Key 2 going to the 2000. The combination ini file which controls BOTH radios simultaneously works
great, and \ switches radio and moves his key line to the appropriate radio. 
Next setup. Craig wanted 2 ini files so if he wanted to run just the 590, OR the 2000, but not both. All went well following the document on the web page.
Until it went for CW keying. It always keys on the 590, even in the TS2000 ini file. Since the 590 IS set and plugged into Key 1 on the winkeyer, it makes total sense.
Is there a way for the 2000 ( or radio 2) ini to select Key 2 output on the winkeyer when radio 2 is run alone? Is there a setting I am missing?

Chuck K0XM


Skip
 

**K6DGW reply interspersed--

On 10/18/2020 9:47 AM, Chuck Kraly K0XM wrote:
PLEASE read the full scenario before commenting guys.....
I am assisting Craig KY0O in setting up us TS590 (radio 1) and his TS2000 (radio two). I have the Winkey for Key1 going to the TS590, and Key 2 going to the 2000. The combination ini file which controls BOTH radios simultaneously works
great, and \ switches radio and moves his key line to the appropriate radio. 
Next setup. Craig wanted 2 ini files so if he wanted to run just the 590, OR the 2000, but not both. All went well following the document on the web page.
Until it went for CW keying. It always keys on the 590, even in the TS2000 ini file. Since the 590 IS set and plugged into Key 1 on the winkeyer, it makes total sense.
Is there a way for the 2000 ( or radio 2) ini to select Key 2 output on the winkeyer when radio 2 is run alone?
**Not that I've found.  I am SO1R at home and I run W7RN remotely.  I'd like KEY1 for local K3, KEY2 for remote.  N1MM+ forces KEY1 when it starts even if there is only one radio so when changing from local to remote operation, it's a "unplug/plug" exercise behind the WK.  One of the cables invariably falls behind the desk into all the "wireless" back there. :-(

Is there a setting I am missing?

**Not that I know of.  I've scoured the .ini files and found a couple of tentative candidates, but so far haven't had success.  Please let me know if you break the code.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County


VE9AA - Mike
 

Chuck

Not that I know of.  Sometimes I am SO2R, sometimes SO1R with a pair of IC7410's.
The solution is just to close (or ignore) one of the radio entry windows.

That's the easier thing I could come up with and it costs me $0.00 and no additional software, INI files or swapping cables around.

Even if he were to go so far as to not power up a certain radio; just acknowledge the error and move on.

Easy peasy.

HTH

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 01:47 PM, Chuck Kraly K0XM wrote:
PLEASE read the full scenario before commenting guys.....
I am assisting Craig KY0O in setting up us TS590 (radio 1) and his TS2000 (radio two). I have the Winkey for Key1 going to the TS590, and Key 2 going to the 2000. The combination ini file which controls BOTH radios simultaneously works
great, and \ switches radio and moves his key line to the appropriate radio. 
Next setup. Craig wanted 2 ini files so if he wanted to run just the 590, OR the 2000, but not both. All went well following the document on the web page.
Until it went for CW keying. It always keys on the 590, even in the TS2000 ini file. Since the 590 IS set and plugged into Key 1 on the winkeyer, it makes total sense.
Is there a way for the 2000 ( or radio 2) ini to select Key 2 output on the winkeyer when radio 2 is run alone? Is there a setting I am missing?

 
--
Mike VE9AA


Chuck Kraly K0XM
 

Sorry for the delay...
Thanks everyone. 
The main issue is Craig is visually handicapped and I was hoping to have the capabilities without him having to deal with cable changes all the time.  Is, or would this be a viable option for a newer release change?
What does everyone think, would adding this be a useful feature?

Chuck K0XM


VE9AA - Mike
 

Chuck,

Maybe you missed my reply (pasted below), but you are asking the wrong group about this particular part:
"...Is there a way for the 2000 ( or radio 2) ini to select Key 2 output on the winkeyer when radio 2 is run alone? Is there a setting I am missing?
…"
I believe the default, if setup with one radio is to always activate port one on the Winkeyer.  I don't think there's anything the N1MM crew can do about that.

Again, my solution below costs nothing and I don't have to swap cables.  Simply setup as SO2R and if only running a single radio, just use THAT radio's entry field. Leave the other one open, or if it's in the way, close it (and ignore the warning).  Can't get much simpler than that for CW and 2 radios.
$0 cost, 0 software, ) swapping of cables,.

Maybe I don't understand the question exactly, but this way seems to work for me and has for many years...depending on my mood, I am SO2R or SO1R

GL


On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 09:51 PM, VE9AA - Mike wrote:
Chuck

Not that I know of.  Sometimes I am SO2R, sometimes SO1R with a pair of IC7410's.
The solution is just to close (or ignore) one of the radio entry windows.

That's the easier thing I could come up with and it costs me $0.00 and no additional software, INI files or swapping cables around.

Even if he were to go so far as to not power up a certain radio; just acknowledge the error and move on.

Easy peasy.

HTH

 
--
Mike VE9AA


Tom Wagner (N1MM)
 

How about a physical switch?


On Thu, Oct 22, 2020, 9:38 AM Chuck Kraly K0XM <k0xm@...> wrote:
Sorry for the delay...
Thanks everyone. 
The main issue is Craig is visually handicapped and I was hoping to have the capabilities without him having to deal with cable changes all the time.  Is, or would this be a viable option for a newer release change?
What does everyone think, would adding this be a useful feature?

Chuck K0XM


Chuck Kraly K0XM
 

Mike, and Tom, 
No Mike you read correctly, and I missed your reply. Yes that maybe the option, and then Tom's suggestion is a viable one also. I will discuss with Craig this week. Of course see everyone in CQWW this weekend (will be M/S at W0MB's)