Topics

SO2V and WSJT/SSB

Walter Miller, AJ6T

With a SO2V radio like the K3s is it possible to run WSJT-X on VFO A (only) and SSB/CW on VFO B (only) so that quasi-continuous operation on two modes becomes possible?   That could avoid the awkward WSJT-X shutdown in order to run a different mode.  I suppose WSJT-X will complain when the radio goes into SPLIT, but that could be easily reset when going back to operation on VFO A.

Or is the only way to achieve this by going to a real SO2R setup with two radios?

73, Walt, AJ6T

ve3ki

I don't believe this will work.

You could try to avoid problems with the second VFO in WSJT-X by setting WSJT-X's Split mode to "Fake it" instead of "Rig", so that WSJT-X does not try to use VFO B, BUT: The K3/K3S does not allow transmitting from VFO B when the modes in the two VFOs are different. This puts a severe crimp in cross-mode SO2V. Basically all of your transmitting must be done from VFO A, so you have to swap VFOs when switching modes. That's not really SO2V, it's basically just using VFO B as a temporary frequency memory for the other mode. Furthermore, if one of the modes is for WSJT-X, even this won't work, because the VFO A Entry window call sign box will be commandeered by WSJT-X whenever the WSJT Decode List window is open.

Rich VE3KI

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 02:41 PM, Walter Miller, AJ6T wrote:
With a SO2V radio like the K3s is it possible to run WSJT-X on VFO A
(only) and SSB/CW on VFO B (only) so that quasi-continuous operation on
two modes becomes possible?   That could avoid the awkward WSJT-X
shutdown in order to run a different mode.  I suppose WSJT-X will
complain when the radio goes into SPLIT, but that could be easily reset
when going back to operation on VFO A.

Or is the only way to achieve this by going to a real SO2R setup with
two radios?

73, Walt, AJ6T