Topics

SO2R SSB Feature Suggestion

VE9AA - Mike

I don't do very much SSB SO2R, so maybe I missed a tick box or a dropdown or something somewhere, but is it possible please to have (scrolling?) text of some kind below the callsign entry box like there is in CW that tells me visually what is being "said" out over the air?

Obviously it can't tell me letter by letter like in CW, but even if just the Function key label (or a user configurable label) was displayed, that would be great !
Scrolling text would be awesome, (based on the length of the recording?) but I realize this may be an unreasonable ask.

I just got on briefly for NAQP SSB (taking a break now) and with me NOT listening to my outgoing audio on radio #1, I am never 100% sure if I have hit an incorrect key.

At least with CW, I can see the text scrolling by to insure everything going out is all OK, but on SSB (unless I've missed it), there is no way to know what's being sent. (unless you listen to your outgoing audio, which kinda defeats the purpose of SO2R, because it would be pretty hard to hear radio #2's receiver if you were listening to yourself in Radio #1's transmitter in a monitor-type function)

Thanks Dev team !

--

Mike VE9AA

Karl Beckman

Using dual (split) audio feed into a stereo headset, monitor your primary Tx audio at greatly reduced level relative to the alternate receiver?  My Kenwood TS-2000 from 2005 can do that with 6M on the main RF and either 2M or 70 cm on the second Rx.
--
Karl  WA8NVW - OH
in N1MM+ Logger groups.io

VE9AA - Mike

That would be fine Karl if I was running on only one radio and had a way to swap audio levels every 3 seconds, but I am running (sometimes) on 2 radios, just like I would be on CW.  On CW I see my transmitted text scrolling out a letter at a time as it's being transmitted.  (I love this feature!)

On SSB, I just have to hope I hit the right key - and- I have no idea (really) where I am in the transmitted audio timing sequence until the radio lets up and goes back to receive.)

If I am transmitting on radio #1, both headphones are on radio #2 to hear any potential callers with my undivided attention....as soon as I flip flop, the situation is reversed....I am now transmitting on radio #2 to a potential caller and picking up any callers on radio #1 (where I was just transmitting)

Sometimes if I get a mistimed transmission,(slow caller)  I'll hit the tilde ~ key to go stereo to listen to both radios at once,( a radio in each ear) but it's not my preferred thing and I usually operate a pure flip-flop operation if at all possible if I have 2 good bands to run on. If I don't then I am run on one radio and S&P on the other.

There is no need to listen to outgoing audio (CW/SSB/RTTY).  This is unnecessarily distracting....to me anyways....it means I am not giving my caller or my QSO partner my full attention on the other radio.

All I was asking for is a way to determine that I hit the right button and the correct message is being transmitted. (same as CW)...A super bonus would be some way to know where I was in the sequence.  If I was a programmer, (I'm not) I can think of several ways to display it, but I would not know all the steps to get there.

73