Topics

Shielded usb a/b cable

Les C. VA7RN

Does anyone know of a source of a shielded usb a/b cable?  Trying to cut down on rfi. Tried lots of ferrite but I'm still having trouble on 160 when I use the amp. So, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good a/b usb cable.
Les, VA7RN

Rod Greene

Les,

I just purchased a couple of Tripp-Lite U023-006 shielded with ferrites A to B cables. I have one installed and it prevented RFI problems on my IC-7600 to PC connection. My RFI problem was mild as I only run 100 watts. So no extensive testing done but it has worked for me. I think you can buy them at Mouser and Amazon, etc.

73 and GL, Rod/w7zrc

On Saturday, November 28, 2020, 12:09:43 AM MST, Les C. VA7RN <les.corris@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of a shielded usb a/b cable?  Trying to cut down on rfi. Tried lots of ferrite but I'm still having trouble on 160 when I use the amp. So, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good a/b usb cable.
Les, VA7RN

Les C. VA7RN

Thanks Rod.

Les, VA7RN

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 8:00 AM Rod Greene via groups.io <w7zrc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Les,

I just purchased a couple of Tripp-Lite U023-006 shielded with ferrites A to B cables. I have one installed and it prevented RFI problems on my IC-7600 to PC connection. My RFI problem was mild as I only run 100 watts. So no extensive testing done but it has worked for me. I think you can buy them at Mouser and Amazon, etc.

73 and GL, Rod/w7zrc

On Saturday, November 28, 2020, 12:09:43 AM MST, Les C. VA7RN <les.corris@...> wrote:

Does anyone know of a source of a shielded usb a/b cable?  Trying to cut down on rfi. Tried lots of ferrite but I'm still having trouble on 160 when I use the amp. So, I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good a/b usb cable.
Les, VA7RN

Joe WB9SBD

I wonder how short of that kind of cable can be found?
https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Ferrite-U023-006/dp/B008VOPCGY?th=1

even 3 feet is three times longer than I need or ant.

It is for the SDR recvr. it literally is sitting like 6 inches from the rear of the computer and all the USB ports.

Joe WB9SBD

On 11/28/2020 9:59 AM, Rod Greene via groups.io wrote:
Tripp-Lite U023-006

Kimo Chun

As I have used both short and ferrite type USB A to B and hadn't seen both in the same cable, I thought I'd search after seeing the digest today.
I didn't do an exhaustive search.
But I found (all USB 2.0):

Tripp-lite makes a 3 ft and 6 ft USB A to B with ferrite.
P/N U023-003   3 ft. with ferrite  $5.99 on Amazon Prime
P/N U023-006   6 ft. with ferrite  $6.00 on Amazon Prime

Tripp-Lite makes a 1 ft USB A to B no ferrite.
P/N UR022-001  1 ft  no ferrite   $   didn't check

L-com  Makes a 0.5 M USB A to B with ferrite.
P/N U2A00002-05M   0.5 meter with ferrite  $5.21  qty 1-9
It is also sold by Show Me Cables for the same price.
L-com owns them.

Belkin Pro Series has a 6 inch USB A to B 2.0 no ferrite.
From hellabargain.com  $16.86
Perhaps Belkin is available elsewhere for less. I didn't look.

I've used a 6 inch USB for daily use with a portable CF card reader/dongle at work. Eventually, it went bad/ intermittent (as expected). A longer cable in flex service like that lasts much longer. In your station it may do fine.

L-Com also had an USB 2.0 A to MicroB with ferrites - 0.5 meter for $6.29 Qty 1-9. FWIW

End of search. I'm sure there's more out there.
The 3 who posted earlier should get my attachment.

73, Kimo Chun KH7U

Kimo Chun

I jumped the gun.

SF Cable has a 1 ft. USB 2.0 A to B
SKU# UB12-01   no ferrite   $1.00  (yes)

I have purchased various cables or products from all though I've not specifically tested the Tripp-lite ferrite cables for their efficacy.

73, Kimo Chun KH7U

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 6:16 PM Kimo Chun <kimochun@...> wrote:
As I have used both short and ferrite type USB A to B and hadn't seen both in the same cable, I thought I'd search after seeing the digest today.
I didn't do an exhaustive search.
But I found (all USB 2.0):

Tripp-lite makes a 3 ft and 6 ft USB A to B with ferrite.
P/N U023-003   3 ft. with ferrite  $5.99 on Amazon Prime
P/N U023-006   6 ft. with ferrite  $6.00 on Amazon Prime

Tripp-Lite makes a 1 ft USB A to B no ferrite.
P/N UR022-001  1 ft  no ferrite   $   didn't check

L-com  Makes a 0.5 M USB A to B with ferrite.
P/N U2A00002-05M   0.5 meter with ferrite  $5.21  qty 1-9
It is also sold by Show Me Cables for the same price.
L-com owns them.

Belkin Pro Series has a 6 inch USB A to B 2.0 no ferrite.
From hellabargain.com  $16.86
Perhaps Belkin is available elsewhere for less. I didn't look.

I've used a 6 inch USB for daily use with a portable CF card reader/dongle at work. Eventually, it went bad/ intermittent (as expected). A longer cable in flex service like that lasts much longer. In your station it may do fine.

L-Com also had an USB 2.0 A to MicroB with ferrites - 0.5 meter for $6.29 Qty 1-9. FWIW

End of search. I'm sure there's more out there.
The 3 who posted earlier should get my attachment.

73, Kimo Chun KH7U

Michael Walker

 All my USB cables are choked with either Mix 31 or 43 chokes.

They are very effective if they are the source of the RF I.

Mike va3mw

On Nov 28, 2020, at 11:29 PM, Kimo Chun <kimo@...> wrote:

[...]

From hellabargain.com  $16.86