Topics

Run N1MM on Windows Laptop but WSJT-X on Raspberry Pi

Bedrock305

I know that N1MM and WSJT-X can be run together, but is it possible to run N1MM on the Laptop and WSJT-X on a raspberry pi?  If so, what would you have to configure differently?

John Bednar

> WSJT-X on a raspberry pi?

See:

http://www.kk5jy.net/wsjtx-build/

or one of the other 48,100 hits.

John, K3CT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bedrock305
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:09 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MM+] Run N1MM on Windows Laptop but WSJT-X on Raspberry Pi

I know that N1MM and WSJT-X can be run together, but is it possible to run N1MM on the Laptop and WSJT-X on a raspberry pi?  If so, what would you have to configure differently?

ve3ki

Sure, but if the two programs were running on different computers (regardless of what those computers were), would they interoperate the way they do in the same computer? Well, not quite 100% the same, but well enough for the Decode List window and logging of QSOs in N1MM+ to work?

There are spots to enter the IP address of the UDP Server (in WSJT-X) and the WSJT-X computer (in the N1MM+ Configurer). You would not be able to use the Load WSJT/JTDX menu item, so you would have to switch N1MM+ to digital mode and open the WSJT Decode List window manually. Would it work? Don't know yet.

Maybe I'll try it later this morning using two Windows computers. If it works with WSJT-X running in another Windows computer, it should work with WSJT-X running in any computer, as long as the two computers are on the same LAN.

Rich VE3KI

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 06:24 AM, John Bednar wrote:

See:

John, K3CT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bedrock305

ve3ki

I knew there was something I had forgotten - rig control. If the computer that was controlling the rig was the WSJT-X computer, it would be configured to control the rig directly (not through N1MM+ /"DXLab Suite Commander"), and N1MM+ would be configured without rig control. If the computer controlling the rig was the N1MM+ computer, the Network Server in the WSJT-X Settings window under the Radio tab (just below where you set the Radio to "DXLab Suite Commander") would have to be set to the IP address of the computer running N1MM+ with port 52001, as in 168.192.0.11:52001. Would that work? Don't know, haven't tried it.

Rich VE3KI

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 07:46 AM, ve3ki wrote:
Sure, but if the two programs were running on different computers (regardless of what those computers were), would they interoperate the way they do in the same computer? Well, not quite 100% the same, but well enough for the Decode List window and logging of QSOs in N1MM+ to work?

There are spots to enter the IP address of the UDP Server (in WSJT-X) and the WSJT-X computer (in the N1MM+ Configurer). You would not be able to use the Load WSJT/JTDX menu item, so you would have to switch N1MM+ to digital mode and open the WSJT Decode List window manually. Would it work? Don't know yet.

Maybe I'll try it later this morning using two Windows computers. If it works with WSJT-X running in another Windows computer, it should work with WSJT-X running in any computer, as long as the two computers are on the same LAN.

Rich VE3KI

See:

John, K3CT

ve3ki

I ran some tests with two Windows computers with little success. I may be doing something wrong or missing a critical setting, but I was unsuccessful in my attempts to get WSJT-X, running stand-alone on a computer interfaced with the radio, to log contacts to a passive copy of N1MM+ running on a separate computer. The Decode List window did not work either, but this was hardly surprising given my failure to get simple logging working between the two computers. Both logging to N1MM+ and the Decode List window worked fine when N1MM+ was running on the same computer as WSJT-X (with WSJT-X doing all the rig control), but not when the two programs were on separate computers.

\My suggestion about rig control in the previous message in this thread did not work either, even when WSJT-X and N1MM+ were running on the same computer, much less on separate computers.

Rich VE3KI

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 07:59 AM, ve3ki wrote:
I knew there was something I had forgotten - rig control. If the computer that was controlling the rig was the WSJT-X computer, it would be configured to control the rig directly (not through N1MM+ /"DXLab Suite Commander"), and N1MM+ would be configured without rig control. If the computer controlling the rig was the N1MM+ computer, the Network Server in the WSJT-X Settings window under the Radio tab (just below where you set the Radio to "DXLab Suite Commander") would have to be set to the IP address of the computer running N1MM+ with port 52001, as in 168.192.0.11:52001. Would that work? Don't know, haven't tried it.

Rich VE3KI

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 07:46 AM, ve3ki wrote:

Rich VE3KI

See:

John, K3CT

Bedrock305

Thanks, Rich - I will do some experimentation on my end as well.  I have WSJT-X running smoothly on the Raspberry Pi.  In fact, I also have VNC configured, so I can sit downstairs at home and operate the rig from my iPad or Laptop.

I'll post back here after my tests.

Chris NS8Q