Topics

RTTY pgms

Ed Felter

I have been using N1MM+ and MMVARI for several years for my RTTY tests. While I know the answer is quite subjective, I’m wondering about the merits of MMTTY over MMVARI, if any.  I have assumed there is a reason why the developers included MMVARI. 73

Ed, AI6O

B. Smith

I used to be in your same status but as my interest in RTTY increased over the years I gradually added more and more capabilities by using multiple decoders. MMVARI alone works but there are many refinements possible by moving on from it. At present, I am using FLDIGI as the primary digital interface and have MMTTY and my most recent addition, 2-Tone, set up as alternates for the primary digital interface. FLDIGI in waterfall mode allows me to line up signals very easily when in Search and Pounce. When calling CQ, I turn off AFC so that I stay on  frequency. If someone answers off frequency one (or more) of the other decoders that I have running will pick up their signal using their AFC to compensate. You can set up the additional decoders using in N1MM's "Add RX Windows" feature in Setup. I currently use MMTTY, Gritty, and 2-Tone in RX only windows and at times only one of them will dig out the call sign.

Ed Felter

Thanks for the info. I’m sure that I’ll need to use MMTTY and evaluate it or any other secondary decoder. I used MIXW for several years but there is no support or development.

Ed, AI6O

Tom KG3V

Ed,

I have used MMTTY for quite a while. I am not a top-tier RTTY player, but MMTTY was fairly easy to setup. One thing I suggest is getting MMTTY running with your radio stand-alone first (not from N1MM+). Once you have that working, it is very easy to get it tied to N1MM+   I know there are other decoders that may be better, but this is a good place to start.

I posted some articles on my efforts to get MMTTY working with N1MM+ on my Ham Radio blog www.KG3V.com

73,

Tom, KG3V

On 10/21/2020 5:24 PM, Ed Felter wrote:
Thanks for the info. I’m sure that I’ll need to use MMTTY and evaluate it or any other secondary decoder. I used MIXW for several years but there is no support or development.

Ed, AI6O

Ed W2LCQ

I highly recommend 2Tone. I’ve also used MMTTY but I find that I can tune signals faster with 2Tone. Good luck with whatever you choose.

All best, Ed

73 de W2LCQ, Ed Jones

Frankford Radio Club
B.U.G. 204 - TBDXC 1337 - CWops 701 (Life) - SKCC 5474T - FISTS 12294 - QCWA 33438 - LICWC 51 - ARRL - New York County (Manhattan) FN30AT

Most certainly, some planets are not inhabited, but others are, and among these there must exist life under all conditions and phases of development.”Nicola Tesla

On Oct 21, 2020, at 5:30 PM, Tom KG3V <KG3V@...> wrote:

Ed,

I have used MMTTY for quite a while. I am not a top-tier RTTY player, but MMTTY was fairly easy to setup. One thing I suggest is getting MMTTY running with your radio stand-alone first (not from N1MM+). Once you have that working, it is very easy to get it tied to N1MM+   I know there are other decoders that may be better, but this is a good place to start.

I posted some articles on my efforts to get MMTTY working with N1MM+ on my Ham Radio blog www.KG3V.com

73,

Tom, KG3V

On 10/21/2020 5:24 PM, Ed Felter wrote:
Thanks for the info.  I’m sure that I’ll need to use MMTTY and evaluate it or any other secondary decoder.  I used MIXW for several years but there is no support or development.

Ed, AI6O

Ed Felter

Thanks, Ed, I will do so. Quicker tuning would be an added benefit.

It will be interesting for me to begin using and comparing MMTTY and 2Tone along with MMVARI.

Ed, AI6O

David G3YYD

2Tone is easier to setup than MMTTY with N1MM. Download here: https://www.rttycontesting.com/downloads/2tone/

It also on average outperforms MMTTY takes less CPU and occupies less screen space. But do read the accompanying documentation to get the most from 2Tone.

73 David G3YYD

I have used MMTTY for quite a while. I am not a top-tier RTTY player,
but MMTTY was fairly easy to setup. One thing I suggest is getting MMTTY
running with your radio stand-alone first (not from N1MM+). Once you
have that working, it is very easy to get it tied to N1MM+ I know
there are other decoders that may be better, but this is a good place to
start.

I posted some articles on my efforts to get MMTTY working with N1MM+ on
my Ham Radio blog www.KG3V.com

73,

Tom, KG3V

On 10/21/2020 5:24 PM, Ed Felter wrote:
Thanks for the info. I’m sure that I’ll need to use MMTTY and evaluate it or any other secondary decoder. I used MIXW for several years but there is no support or development.

Ed, AI6O

Tom KG3V

OK, I will have to try this one. Been sticking with MMTTY just because I got it setup and became familiar with it. Thanks for the suggestion, but I sure can't say it was "difficult" to get MMTTY working with N1MM+

73,

Tom, KG3V

On 10/22/2020 6:47 AM, David G3YYD via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Mark Killmon

Tom,

If you want extra decoding horsepower (more likely to yield a decode), add additional RX windows. GRITTY uses predictive logic, 2Tone is better with local signals and can be run in multiple instances, each with a different filter or “profile” in MMTTY parlance. If that combo won’t copy, move on to the next guy. 😁

Hope you and yours are well Tom. Hoping to get my above ground beverages done for E/W before the snow flies.

- SO