Topics

Replying to emails

Tom Osborne

Hi All

I have found that sometimes someone will ask a question I know the answer to, so I hit <reply> to answer.

In looking at the message, I don't see where anyone else has replied.  But - after I type in my reply, and hit <send> I see 5 other people have already replied.

Is there a setting in Gmail to show all the replies before I click on <reply>?  Thanksand 73
Tom W7WHY

VE9AA - Mike

Tom--I'll be forthright and say this does not exactly answer your question......but.....I do all 95% of my groups.io stuff online (not by email)

Just like you said, It amazes me how many similar replies one question gets.  Over and over.  It's incredible.

Sometimes I'll be the first to answer a posters question and then 5 similar replies will come the same day....in the same (grouped) thread.
It's like I am writing in invisible ink. hi  I presume that email users are not watching or even know the questions already been answered.

Anyways..if it 'bothers' you, you could always do it online.
Online is not "messy" like email.

All threads are grouped nice and neat.  I never complain (like the emails users do, of which I gather most folks are) about knowing what reply belongs in what thread,.

73 - Mike VE9AA

--
Mike VE9AA

Tom Osborne

Hi Mike

Yeah - that is what happens to me.  After I answer the question, 4 other people have said the same thing,  They must think I can't read or something.  73
Tom W7WHY

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 11:22 AM VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...> wrote:
Tom--I'll be forthright and say this does not exactly answer your question......but.....I do all 95% of my groups.io stuff online (not by email)

Just like you said, It amazes me how many similar replies one question gets.  Over and over.  It's incredible.

Sometimes I'll be the first to answer a posters question and then 5 similar replies will come the same day....in the same (grouped) thread.
It's like I am writing in invisible ink. hi  I presume that email users are not watching or even know the questions already been answered.

Anyways..if it 'bothers' you, you could always do it online.
Online is not "messy" like email.

All threads are grouped nice and neat.  I never complain (like the emails users do, of which I gather most folks are) about knowing what reply belongs in what thread,.

73 - Mike VE9AA

Joe WB9SBD

I get amazed when I ask a question, and will start to get answers, and then a day or so later I finally get my e mail posted question.

Joe WB9SBD

On 6/2/2020 1:35 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
[...]

Don Moman VE6JY

Using Gmail, I will often see a pop up indicating someone else has also sent an email when I'm replying to an email in the same conversation.  Under Settings:General I do have Conversation view set to on.

73 Don\
VE6JY

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 6:36 PM Tom Osborne <w7why1@...> wrote:
[...]

Larry K8UT

At the bottom of each message from groups.io are two important links - often overlooked:

The first is: "View/Reply Online (#nnnn)" - click this to read an entire message thread before replying to active discussions.

The second is: "Mute This Topic" - which prevents your inbox from being polluted by discussions in which you have absolutely no interest.

-larry (K8UT)

On 2020-06-02 1:08 PM, Tom Osborne wrote:
Hi All

I have found that sometimes someone will ask a question I know the answer to, so I hit <reply> to answer.

In looking at the message, I don't see where anyone else has replied.  But - after I type in my reply, and hit <send> I see 5 other people have already replied.

Is there a setting in Gmail to show all the replies before I click on <reply>?  Thanksand 73
Tom W7WHY

Jim Cooper

On 2 Jun 2020 at 14:05, Mark Beckwith wrote:

I view my inbox in chronological
order.  My program shows me the last
message I read.  I start by reading
the next one.  If I know the answer,
I might write a response if I'm not
quick enough to remember I could be
late to the party, in which case my
response could be old news.

But sometimes I don't remember to do
that.  So in my case, it is
completely on me and completely
avoidable.  Sounds like most or all of
you guys are much smarter than I am.
Mark ... you are not alone ... I download
ALL my email (no spam filter) and in my
local email reader I sort by last in at the
top ... then go down to last read and work
my way up ...

only difference is that I will sometimes write
an answer but not actually send it until I have
finished reading the particular group emails ...
(that way, if I see a lot of answers already
I can just delete my response; else I'll send
all my responses at once).

otoh, email is soooo expensive these days that
we should avoid an excess responses 'at all cost'
lest we run up everyone's bill for downloading
all those extra bits !!! ;)) not ...

w2jc