Topics

Remote Station Operation With N1MM

Jim W7RY

Question to those who operate a remote station with N1MM in a contest...

So what do you use to run N1MM with a remote station?

Do you use something you can control the radio such as a remote control panel (Icom BA1)?
Or do you just use N1MM only to control the radio?

You're using a PC at the remote location?

What do you use to "see" the remote station PC?
Team viewer?
Windows remote desktop?
A VNC of some sort?
What about audio?

How do you send CW manually in a remote setup?

What about RTTY?

Looking forward to your answers.

Do you have any links to folks sites that have set this up? Videos?

Thanks and 73
Jim W7RY

--
Thanks
73

john ni0k

While I haven't used N1MM remotely, I do run remote. For remote desktop I used Google Chrome Remote. Since TeamViewer is actually a paid product it often complains that it detected a commercial environment. It might shut your remote access down at a very inconvenient time.

-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K

Jim W7RY wrote on 11/27/2020 9:05 AM:

[...]

Rick Tavan

See below

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 7:05 AM Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:
Question to those who operate a remote station with N1MM in a contest...

So what do you use to run N1MM with a remote station?
I run N1MM at the control site, connected to a Microbit RRC-1258 MkII. The RRC "looks like" a radio to N1MM. There are many other ways to do this but I'm happy with this.

Do you use something you can control the radio such as a remote control panel (Icom BA1)?
Or do you just use N1MM only to control the radio?
I use a K3 at both sites. At the control site, the K3 is effectively a K3/0 - only the panel is in use. It controls the remote radio as if it were local. The experience is almost indistinguishable from "being there."

You're using a PC at the remote location?
I do have a PC at the radio site ("remote location") but it is not involved in radio control and logging (with one exception - see below re remote spectrum display). My PC at the radio site runs the server functionality of PstRotatorAz for rotor and SteppIR control (and can do more), KPAxxx Remote, etc. Using remote serial ports, you can eliminate this PC but I find it very convenient as a window into the remote LAN and I like the way the apps work.

What do you use to "see" the remote station PC?
Team viewer?
Windows remote desktop?
A VNC of some sort?
I use Chrome Remote Desktop. I find it simple and reliable. I've used Windows Remote Desktop and Teamviewer but I prefer Chrome.
What about audio?
I run MIC audio from the control site to the radio site and receive audio from the radio site to the control site through the RRC pair.

How do you send CW manually in a remote setup?
The RRC provides two ways to do this - a keyer built into the RRC and a keying input. I use the keying input from an external keyer at the control site.

What about RTTY?
Haven't done this remotely, sorry. I suspect I could just pipe AFSK tones into the Control RRC MIC input. There are also some explicit provisions for RTTY that I haven't investigated.

Remote control is a fascinating exercise in system integration. There are several ways to do anything and, alas, a plethora of "moving parts." You need patience and perseverance. The end result can be a very satisfying remote control experience.

73,

/Rick N6XI

Looking forward to your answers.

Do you have any links to folks sites that have set this up? Videos?

Thanks and 73
Jim W7RY

--
Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

Rick Tavan
Truckee and Saratoga, CA

Rick Tavan

Oops, I forgot to complete the thought about an exception to my claim that N1MM runs only at the control site:

In order to achieve remote spectrum display, I run an instance of N1MM on the afore-mentioned PC at the radio site. It connects to an SDR that sits in the RX ANT loop of the remote radio and generates spectrum data that it relays across the Internet to the active Spectrum Display window at the control site instance of N1MM where logging takes place. No logging takes place on the radio site instance of N1MM - just spectrum display. It's a complicated interface but it works very well. There are dozens of configuration possibilities for this functionality. I like mine.

/Rick N6XI

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 7:57 AM Rick Tavan <rick@...> wrote:
[...]

Rick,

Would you kindly share how you share the spectrum data from the SDR?

-de John NI0K
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K

Rick Tavan wrote on 11/27/2020 10:04 AM:

[...]

Skip

I operate W7RN remotely.  It uses the Microbit RRC1258 pair with my K3 for control and a K3 at the station to actually make the RF.  The 1258 is complex because it supports a wide variety of radios and its HTML server-based configuration UI is non-intuitive, but once set up, you don't need to use it very much.  The 1258 has a built-in keyer and provides local sidetone [trying to listen off the air with a second receiver will drive you nuts].  I use an external WinKeyUSB which just keys the internal key line.

The 1258 pair effectively provide four "pipes" via the I'net which appear as 4 USB ports at the control end.  One of those is used as the COM port for the CAT control of the remote radio.  My logger [N1MM+] runs on my local PC.  We use UltraViewer to remotely control the station PC with all the station automation separate from the RRC1258 pair.  As N6XI said, there are a lot of "moving parts" in remote operation, and some can be a long way away from your control position.

We used to use Teamviewer which is a paid product ... allegedly free for non-commercial use.  Unfortunately, they have some automated processes that try to detect commercial use and cut you off ... usually at the worst time.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 11/27/2020 7:05 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
[...]

E.F.A. Project, and is believed to be clean.

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

We will be operating W1TJL's station this w/e as N1MM.

Two ops will be local at W1TJL.  The rest will be remote.  We are using AnyDesk to share the run station and another copy of AnyDesk to share the mult station.  Anydesk allows us to run N1MM+ on multiple monitors and share them with a remote op on a single monitor.

For audio, we are connecting the headphone out of the radio to a soundcard.  That soundcard will be managed by Murmer which is a server for Mumble.  Run & mult computers run Murmer, each remote op runs Murmer.  The latency is pretty good.

* No paddles. We will use Ctl+K
* For some reason, Alt+' won't change an FTDX-5000's filters, so we
are going to stick with 400 or 500 Hz
* Likewise, the radio won't allow pitch changes, so we are going to go
with 400 Hz.
* Finding signals that are not yet spotted is tedious without a
spectrum display.  Both radios will have spectrum displays.
* We don't yet have a good system set up for switching operators and
handling radio problems and amp tuning.

That's where we are.  This is a zero cost approach.

Tom - N1MM

Rick Tavan

I follow the instructions in the N1MM documentation for the AirSpy HF+ and K3. There were a few undocumented gotchas when I put it together but eventually I got it working. You run a barebones MM instance on a server computer at the radio site. Tell its Spectrum window to use Airspy HF+ as its source. Make sure spyserver.exe runs properly - I think it has some location dependencies that may vary with OS release. You tell the radio side MM Spectrum window to relay to the control side WAN address, port 13064, with a name of your choice. You set up port forwarding at the control side to accept that traffic. On the control side you tell MM to broadcast radio info to the WAN address of the radio site (Configure | Broadcast Data | Radio) and you tell the spectrum window to get its data from the name you invented on the server side. You set up port forwarding at the radio side to accept the radio data. The documentation is at https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/spectrum-display-window/#airspy-hf-via-spyserver. Look for "1.2 Airspy HF+ via Spyserver."

Make sure to turn off the radio side MM instance when you're done using it. Otherwise, it keeps broadcasting 7x24 which uses a LOT of bandwidth, could annoy your neighbors on slow, shared links, and could cost you money or future performance.

Hope that helps a little.

Rick N6XI

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 10:30 AM john ni0k <jasimmons@...> wrote:
[...]

Lu Romero - W4LT

>Question to those who operate a remote station with N1MM in a contest...

My answers follow in line, Jim

>So what do you use to run N1MM with a remote station?

A standard PC laptop, in my case a Lenovo W530 i7 16GB Ram 500GB sshd.  The faster, the smoother. Ive used other PC's, like Dual Core Dell 620/630's, but this machine runs everything flawlessly.  I now have two of them. The show up off lease every once in a while at around $400, much less the original $2,500 price tag. Absolutely fabulous keyboards, too!  ThinkPad keyboards are hard to beat!

>Do you use something you can control the radio such as a remote control panel (Icom BA1)?
>Or do you just use N1MM only to control the radio?

In my case, I remote on Flex 6400'ds and Kenwood TS590 rigs. I only use my K3 locally.  I do local support for W1YL's remote access to W7RN.  Her setup uses Remote Rig "K3-Twin" hardware systems and UltraViewer for antenna and amp control screens.  She has a K3/0 Mini control panel which makes her feel like she is at an actual radio.  She's 93 years old and can still run circles around most of us.  She handles the remote very well and does so on her own with little help.

There are two radios that I have personal access to, one here in my shack, and another 8 miles away at the Tampa ARC. These are accessed either locally or over the Flex native SmartLink access protocol with SmartSDR software. I have the Maestro console, which makes remote operation very simple. Plug in an ethernet connection (or use WiFi), choose the radio, and you are on! I can also use the PC using SSDR software, but I prefer real knobs and buttons, hence the Maestro.  With N1MMLogger and Maestro, think of Maestro as the radio on your desktop, but the RF Generating parts are elsewhere as in a PC with a Printer attached via the network. The RF parts are like a peripheral to the radio panel itself.

>You're using a PC at the remote location?

In the case of my own shack when I run locally, only the N1MM Logger PC and Maestro. When I remote my shack, I have a PC running pstRotor to control my Yaesu G450 with EZRotor. I run the Elecraft KAT500 and KPA500 native remote client/server software to control those devices. This software runs on my PC alongside N1MM and SSDR.  Since I only have two antennas, the KAT500 is my remote switch.

 In the case of the Tampa ARC, there is another PC at that shack and it controls the antenna switching and rotors via Green Heron Everyware software.  I call it the GH Server, and it runs a 6x1 switch for antennas and two RT21's for two towers. The client for this server runs in my local computer.  All the PC's at the Tampa ARC have the client installed so that any operating position (there are 6 of them) can run the rotors for any radio in the building.

>What do you use to "see" the remote station PC?

The Tampa ARC has a second, "simpler" remote station than the Flex: it is a Kenwood TS590.  It uses the "RemoteHams.com" software package for SSB and CW. This package also includes rotor control natively.  The Kenwood is taught its antennas (a dedicated 55ft tower with a XR5 and a OCF Multiband dipole) and it handles its own antenna switching when a band is selected.  Also, FT8 is available by connecting to the computer that controls the Kenwood and running WSJT-X locally via AnyDesk, which we have found to be superior to Team Viewer in this application.

>Team viewer?

No, we have removed all our Team Viewer apps due to constant nagging about TV being used in a "professional" setting requiring licensing.  AnyDesk is faster, easier to deploy and use and never nags about personal use.

>Windows remote desktop?

We have not found RDP to be robust enough to handle ham radio things like FT8 spectrum screens and audio concurrently.

>A VNC of some sort?

We use TightVNC for local management of the computers and as a "back door" in case of AnyDesk failure via Hamachi VPN. Normal operation is via AnyDesk either locally or remotely.

>What about audio?

AnyDesk handles audio flawlessly, as well as being able to deal with fast changing video.  We have found nothing better and it has become our standard remote access application to the Kenwood remote when using Digital.  Reason is that FT8 and RTTY is not VoIP friendly... Only way to do AFSK and Digital with the Kenwood remote is via AnyDesk running the apps on the local computer.

With the Flex, its different.  Its inbuilt DAX audio transport allows FT8 and RTTY to be run in the remote PC and it magically works through DAX "magic".

>How do you send CW manually in a remote setup?

Using outboard devices.  In the Flex environment, there is a Wedgeware called Remote Keyer Interface that allows one to use a WinKey remotely with a USB to serial dongle.  Some users are using this. It works well. On the Flex, in my case, I have N1MM controlling a microHAM cwKeyer which then keys the Maestro's straight key input. In this way, Im able to get sidetone on both F-Keys and local paddle.  One issue with Flex is sidetone for CW from F-Keys is not currently possible with their software system.  These kludges get around this issue.

On the Kenwood, some users have "ORB Devices" that allow the use of a paddle in the remote. The ORB Device is also useable with the Flex as well, but we have had no users attempt this.

We also have one user experimenting with the WinKey Software Remote program, which then uses two Winkeyers, one remote the other at the Kenwood rig.  This "works" but its not very contest friendly at the moment.

>What about RTTY?

As above, RTTY can be used locally using MMTTY on the Kenwood remote's PC and then run N1MM and MMTTY locally with control via AnyDesk.  On the Flex, you simply run FLDigi, 2 Tone or MMTTY on the computer that runs N1MM at your own shack and use Flex DAX for audio and Flex CAT for rig control.

Since TARC has two remote stations on separate towers on the property, the possibility exists that the stations could be accessed at the same time by two users.  This also includee "in person" clubhouse access for the equipment.  In this case, all inter operator communications is handled via the SLACK web collaboration software package.  Ops check on Slack to see if anyone is using the gear and announce their use.  When they are done, they say so on SLACK.  Every user has SLACK notifications running on their personal devices and get notified of the status of the club resources via this method.

I've attached a drawing of the Tampa ARC Flex Remote environment so as to give you an idea of how it is engineered.

Lu Romero - W4LT
Tampa ARC Remote "Chief Engineer"

George Harlem

Is anyone operating a remote station with N1MM+ Logger, Remoterig RRC1258's and Yaesu FTdx-5000's in Yaesu Twin configuration beside me?  I'm having a long list of functional problems attributed to my older Win7 PC (although it ran N1MM+ perfectly in my station at the pre-condo house).  I know I should upgrade to Win10--and I have not gotten to spectrum display yet, feel like a pterodactyl--but everybody seems to do remote with K3's or Flex radios or uses remote software at the control site instead of another radio.

George VA2EBI (from W1EBI)

George Harlem

How do you send CW manually in a remote setup?

The RRC provides two ways to do this - a keyer built into the RRC and a keying input. I use the keying input from an external keyer at the control site.

Rick, what settings do you use with an external keyer at the control site?  I suspect the answer is in the RRC User Manual, but some of those descriptions are a bit obtuse.  I have been using the internal Winkeyer emulator, but am not totally happy with the resulting CW.

George VA2EBI

[...]

_._,_._,_

Avast logo

Skip

Pin 4 in the RJ45 I/O connector on the control-side RRC-1258 back panel is the "key" line to the remote, just like the KEY input on the remote radio.  Pin 8 is ground.  I cut one end off an Ethernet jumper and put on an RCA phono plug.  I use a Y-cable to plug the straight key in so I can use either it or the WK.  The RRC will provide local sidetone on the SP/Headphone jack.

The RRC internal keyer has some weirdnesses that are annoying.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 11/30/2020 11:13 AM, George Harlem wrote:

How do you send CW manually in a remote setup?

The RRC provides two ways to do this - a keyer built into the RRC and a keying input. I use the keying input from an external keyer at the control site.

Rick, what settings do you use with an external keyer at the control site?  I suspect the answer is in the RRC User Manual, but some of those descriptions are a bit obtuse.  I have been using the internal Winkeyer emulator, but am not totally happy with the resulting CW.

George VA2EBI

Brayden Ebare

Hi,
I can leak some inside details of the K1TTT remote. We use strictly N1MM+ to control the radio and we use N1MM+ audio. We use a VOiP service to get the audio from the radio to the operator and the operators audio to the radio. We also use teamviewer to access the desktop. As for manual CW keying, that’s an issue.
I’m not sure how proprietary this info is so i left exact product names and left minor details out.

73,
KC1KUG

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:04 AM, Rick Tavan <rtavan@...> wrote:

[...]

ve3ki

An alternative method might be to run N1MM+ in a computer at the radio site, sending its CW via an external Winkeyer and operated via remote desktop software like AnyDesk. That copy of N1MM+ can control the radio through one of the RRC virtual serial ports at the radio site. The RRC boxes still handle audio and front panel radio control, but N1MM+ messages and keyboard CW are sent from the computer at the radio site using the Winkeyer. You can still use a paddle at the control site using either of the methods Rick mentioned for ad lib CW, with a Y-connector to allow both the RRC box and the local Winkeyer to provide CW keying to the radio.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 02:13 PM, George Harlem wrote:

[...]

This seems to be getting over-thought?  My control-side RRC adds 4 new COM ports to my computer when the USB connector is plugged in.  They are identified "RRC-1258 COMx (COMy)".  "x" is 0, 1, 2, and Extra.  "y" is the enumerated port assigned to "COMx" by Windows.  Find "RRC-1258 COM1 (y)", put "y" into the N1MM+ configuration for the radio port and N1MM+ has CAT control of the remote radio.  We've run distributed multi's with individual N1MM+ instances via a VPN.  Works slicker than canned beer, each station sees a consolidated log, N1MM+ tracks the freq/mode of the radio, typing a freq into the CALL field QSY's to that freq.

I use an external WinKeyUSB3, N1MM+ sends the text to it and it keys the remote via Pin 4 of the RJ45 I/O connector on the rear panel of the RRC [Pin 8 is ground].  About as simple as remotes can be.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 11/30/2020 12:07 PM, ve3ki wrote:
[...]

Proprietary?

Really?

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY
On 11/30/2020 1:56 PM, Brayden Ebare wrote:

[...]

By proprietary, I meant i'm not sure if he is ok with me sharing details of his remote setup. I'm sure he would gladly tell you about it, although i'm not going to take it upon myself to share details of his setup. You could also talk to Marty, NN1C, about it, he has lots of info on it also, i believe he has configured remote setups before.
Thanks,
Brayden

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 6:52 PM Jim W7RY <jimw7ry@...> wrote:
[...]

Michael Walker

I run my remote HF contest station with a very similar setup as others have mentioned.

The video of which is described on my QRZ page walking through the layout.

Essentially, all the radio stuff is controlled by a local PC that I remote desktop to for most of the command and control.  A lot of items are also controlled by my RPI running IBM's NodeRed so that a lot of command stuff can be controlled via a web accessing including things like the LP100A wattmeter.  Dave WO2X is a wonderful mentor on using NodeRed in an Amateur World.  Andreas, N6NU's contributions really got the rest of us moving forward with it.  He was the pioneer.   It is a great tool and you can access things from anything that can run a web page.

image.png

N1MM runs on the Local PC, which makes it so easy to set up and stabilize.  This is a key for contest operations.

I have been at this since 2005 and the goal from the beginning was to keep the traffic on the internet to a minimum since it is hugely variable.

The remote desktop part makes it very easy since I only have to configure 1 computer and maintain it.  It also means that the very few other users that I let access it do not have to configure anything.   N1MM runs wonderfully on the remote PC.

It is a Flex 6600 with a Maestro that I use for the user interface while remote.   For SSB, I can do record on the fly for the DVK.

I am pretty pleased how streamlined it is and hugely reliable.  In 16+ years of doing it this way, the remote PC has never let me down (currently W10 Pro on an older I5 PC with 16G of Ram).

The only hard part is CW Skimmer since the incredible amount of remote screen re-writes can really bog the upload data from the remote PC.  There is no real way to optimize this and sending the IQ stream to a PC local to me works, but, again, that is huge impact on the upload data stream.  And, it can also be fractional in the data transfer over the internet resulting in data corruption on the CW Skimmer display.  Possibly other remote desktop protocols might handle it better, but Teamview, MS Remote Desktop and AnyDesk all seem to do it the same way.

I don't do manual sending, but if I did, it would be via the Flex Maestro or there are a few remote WinKeyer solutions that work fairly well.  Just sending the make and break via something an RS232  port does not work reliably and I have tried it even on a local LAN.

RemoteRig works well for this for the radios it supports.  I ran it for about 8 years before I replaced it with a Flex 6300 about 6 or 7 years ago.

Oh, yes.  Stay off WiFi -- WiFi is a party line and is fundamentally broken for a project like this.  (I have reams of factual data supporting this).

Sorry for the longish email, but this has been a significant passion of mine in Ham radio since I moved in 2005 and quickly figured out that in an Urban area, I couldn't hear a thing on HF bands.  If you can't hear them, you can't work them.  (Don't get me started on Chokes).  :)

73 all es gud dx

Mike va3mw

[...]

Jussi-Pekka Sampola

Hi George & others that has commented to this thread.
I have setup with RRC + yaesu ft5k TWIN... From HL1 control site to OH6 station site...all works almost perfectly....except "rubber-bandmap freq follow up" i have been told this is related to latency?
N1MM+ i connected to parallel COM1 on remote control location in HL1... Meaning there is pretty long delays (more than couple secs)  how N1MM+ bandmap station freq follows  VFO changes.
Radio VFO control works and real freq follows with latency of 0.3-0.6 sec... but for some reason N1MM+ is very slow. During that move CW Keying in N1MM+ is disabled.

Im using FTDI Sabrent USBadapter + WIn10 powerful PC....

Any similar bahaviors? or any solutions or ideas?

thanks
J-P, W7BW

su 29. marrask. 2020 klo 11.33 George Harlem (george.harlem@...) kirjoitti:

Is anyone operating a remote station with N1MM+ Logger, Remoterig RRC1258's and Yaesu FTdx-5000's in Yaesu Twin configuration beside me?  I'm having a long list of functional problems attributed to my older Win7 PC (although it ran N1MM+ perfectly in my station at the pre-condo house).  I know I should upgrade to Win10--and I have not gotten to spectrum display yet, feel like a pterodactyl--but everybody seems to do remote with K3's or Flex radios or uses remote software at the control site instead of another radio.

George VA2EBI (from W1EBI)

--
Best Regards / Terveisin

J-P, HL1ZAU OH6RX, OH0K, W7BW, AH0K

Dennis W1UE

Skip
What other settings did you have to modify in the RR Control Box setup?

I've built a cable to key CW on pins 4 with ground on 8, but it doesn't key the unit.
I must be missing something.

Dennis W1UE