Topics

Ran into trouble with WSJT setup

Jamie WW3S

When I load WSJT from the mm window drop down, I get error box, says in red close WSJT first to shut down properly, I shut down WSJT and reload, same message....WSJT seems to be controlling the rig, at least freq wise....did I miss a step?

On Jun 20, 2019, at 12:16 PM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

It's the file called N1MMWSJTInstructions.pdf, and it's dated June 15 2019.

There is different coverage of the same material in the online manual web page describing the WSJT Decode List window, at <https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/wsjt-x-decode-list-window/>. That page was most recently edited on June 17.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM, Rick Ellison wrote:
Yes I updated it the other day. Goto the website click Downloads\File
Explorer\Additional Support Files and it's in the list of files.

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf
Of Jamie WW3S
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 11:41 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MM+] Setup WSJT-x and mm guide?

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Rick Ellison

That is not an error box it is the window that opens when N1MM is controlling the radio in WSJT. It’s just telling you that when you go to shut down from using WSJT to close it first.

If it connects to WSJT you should see the indicator turn to green.

3 Rick n2AMG

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Jamie WW3S

So I see the green square, I guess that means I’m setup correctly?

On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:07 PM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

That is not an error box it is the window that opens when N1MM is controlling the radio in WSJT. It’s just telling you that when you go to shut down from using WSJT to close it first.

If it connects to WSJT you should see the indicator turn to green.

3 Rick n2AMG

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Jamie WW3S

How does the callsign get from WSJT to mm? I’m working stations in WSJT, but nothing is population in mm?

On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:07 PM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

That is not an error box it is the window that opens when N1MM is controlling the radio in WSJT. It’s just telling you that when you go to shut down from using WSJT to close it first.

If it connects to WSJT you should see the indicator turn to green.

3 Rick n2AMG

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

You do not have the correct settings more than likely in WSJT. In the pdf file there is a image on the settings in WSJT make sure the ports and checks are correct..

73 Rick

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

It also depends on if you have the N1MM WSJT Decode window open or not. If you are not using it the callsign will not appear in the N1MM entry window. While using WSJT you do nothing in the N1MM entry window. Place your WSJT window over the entry window so you are not tempted to touch the Entry Window. When you log the call in WSJT then it appears in the N1MM log.

If you have the WSJT Decode window open it will place the call in the entry window as a place holder so you can’t enter anything in the Entry Window. But same thing place the WSJT window over the Entry Window so you don’t touch it…

73 Rick

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

dl4267@...

I know this is really dumb, but where and what is WSJT?

On Jun 20, 2019, at 4:32 PM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

You do not have the correct settings more than likely in WSJT. In the pdf file there is a image on the settings in WSJT make sure the ports and checks are correct..

73 Rick

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

WSJT-X is a program that allows you to work FT8 and some other modes. If you do a google search you will find the correct website to download it at. If you have never used it you might not want to try it this weekend in the contest. There is some learning to go along with using it.

73 Rick N2AMG

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Jamie WW3S

I must have missed a setting somewhere, the calls are being logged in WSJT but nothing appearing in the mm log....I’m setup for dxpedition, and have sub-cw-digital in the contest setup

On Jun 20, 2019, at 5:46 PM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

It also depends on if you have the N1MM WSJT Decode window open or not. If you are not using it the callsign will not appear in the N1MM entry window. While using WSJT you do nothing in the N1MM entry window. Place your WSJT window over the entry window so you are not tempted to touch the Entry Window. When you log the call in WSJT then it appears in the N1MM log.

If you have the WSJT Decode window open it will place the call in the entry window as a place holder so you can’t enter anything in the Entry Window. But same thing place the WSJT window over the Entry Window so you don’t touch it…

73 Rick

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Jim Brown

On 6/20/2019 3:12 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
I must have missed a setting somewhere, the calls are being logged in WSJT but nothing appearing in the mm log....I’m setup for dxpedition, and have sub-cw-digital in the contest setup
NOT DXpedition. Settings, Advanced, Special operating activity, ARRL Field Day.

73, Jim K9YC

Rick Ellison

In N1MM on the broadcast data tab First setting at the bottom you have the port enable and it is set to 2237.

Open WSJT from the N1MM menu when it opens click File\Settings\Reporting Tab.

In the middle of the tab the section labeled UDP Server First box says UDP server enter 127.0.0.1 UDP Server Port number enter 2237

Last box on the Reporting tab called N1MM Logger+ Broadcast make sure the Enable logged contact ADIF Broadcast check box is unchecked. This setting is no longer used…

73 Rick

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Jamie WW3S

Yep, verified....in WSJT , on the reporting tab, the three check boxes by udp, I only have accept udp requests checked, the other 2 are not, is that right?

On Jun 20, 2019, at 7:15 PM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

In N1MM on the broadcast data tab First setting at the bottom you have the port enable and it is set to 2237.

Open WSJT from the N1MM menu when it opens click File\Settings\Reporting Tab.

In the middle of the tab the section labeled UDP Server First box says UDP server enter 127.0.0.1 UDP Server Port number enter 2237

Last box on the Reporting tab called N1MM Logger+ Broadcast make sure the Enable logged contact ADIF Broadcast check box is unchecked. This setting is no longer used…

73 Rick

Is there a newer setup guide somewhere on how to interface the 2? The one
google found me is from Jan 2018, and I believe there were several changes
since then...

Jamie WW3S

Can I test it tonight using the field day setup? I thought I needed a different setup to test outside the contest?

On Jun 20, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 6/20/2019 3:12 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
I must have missed a setting somewhere, the calls are being logged in WSJT but nothing appearing in the mm log....I’m setup for dxpedition, and have sub-cw-digital in the contest setup
NOT DXpedition. Settings, Advanced, Special operating activity, ARRL Field Day.

73, Jim K9YC

ve3ki

You can test outside contests by choosing the DX contest type in N1MM+, with the Mode category set to SSB+CW+DIGITAL (or just DIGITAL) and with the special operating activity check box not checked in WSJT-X. This will generate the normal non-contest messages in WSJT-X and log non-contest QSOs in N1MM+.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 07:36 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
Can I test it tonight using the field day setup? I thought I needed a different setup to test outside the contest?
On Jun 20, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 6/20/2019 3:12 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
I must have missed a setting somewhere, the calls are being logged in WSJT but nothing appearing in the mm log....I’m setup for dxpedition, and have sub-cw-digital in the contest setup
NOT DXpedition. Settings, Advanced, Special operating activity, ARRL Field Day.

73, Jim K9YC

Jamie WW3S

Yes, that’s what I was doing, but the qsos aren’t getting logged into mm....

On Jun 20, 2019, at 8:13 PM, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

You can test outside contests by choosing the DX contest type in N1MM+, with the Mode category set to SSB+CW+DIGITAL (or just DIGITAL) and with the special operating activity check box not checked in WSJT-X. This will generate the normal non-contest messages in WSJT-X and log non-contest QSOs in N1MM+.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 07:36 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
Can I test it tonight using the field day setup? I thought I needed a different setup to test outside the contest?
On Jun 20, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 6/20/2019 3:12 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
I must have missed a setting somewhere, the calls are being logged in WSJT but nothing appearing in the mm log....I’m setup for dxpedition, and have sub-cw-digital in the contest setup
NOT DXpedition. Settings, Advanced, Special operating activity, ARRL Field Day.

73, Jim K9YC

ERIC OLSON

You mentioned HRD earlier.  You don't have it running and using the UDP connection do you?

Eric N7EPD

[...]

One more thought.  Do you see the call signs in the N1MM decode window as WSJT-X is monitoring?  If not the UDP isn't set up right yet.

Eric N7EPD

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Thank you for those settings!  I now have calls showing up in the N1MM's WSJT Decode List and filling in the callsign and mode in N1MM's Entry Window.

But when I completed a contact in WSJT-X, it was NOT shown in N1MM's Log window?  Am I still missing a piece of the puzzle?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS.  My settings are:

WSJT-X's Reporting, UDP Server set to 127.0.0.1 and 2237 with all three checkboxes checked.
N1MM's Broadcast Data has nothing at the top checked, and the UDP Enabled checked and 127.0.0.1 and 2237 set.

Rick Ellison

Lynn..

Are you loading WSJT from within N1MM??

Using the setting that you state there is no reason I see that the logged qso’s are not showing up in your log. If the calls are in N1MM WSJT Decode window then you are receiving the UDP messages correctly. This is the same UDP messages that the callsign gets logged with.

What log in N1MM do you have selected??

73 Rick N2AMG

Thank you for those settings!  I now have calls showing up in the N1MM's WSJT Decode List and filling in the callsign and mode in N1MM's Entry Window.

But when I completed a contact in WSJT-X, it was NOT shown in N1MM's Log window?  Am I still missing a piece of the puzzle?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS.  My settings are:

WSJT-X's Reporting, UDP Server set to 127.0.0.1 and 2237 with all three checkboxes checked.
N1MM's Broadcast Data has nothing at the top checked, and the UDP Enabled checked and 127.0.0.1 and 2237 set.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I am manually starting WSJT and have not (yet) configured the path to the executable in N1MM.

Not sure how to tell which "log" I have selected, but the log window title bar says "General Logging - ham.s3db" after the date and time.

I'm new to N1MM and have just installed it this morning.  My local club uses it extensively, but this is my first exposure to it.  They're into contesting and I'm more into digital modes.

Unfortunately, the 40m FT8 activity dried up since this morning, so I can't complete a QSO at the moment.  I suspect most folks are getting set up for field day.