Topics

Question for the Developers

Karin Johnson

Hello:
I am writing some code for a VERY highly modified version of PowerSDR that I use with my K2 and K3.  I have N1MM Logger Plus interfaced to this version of
PowerSDR, which works very nicely.  I am asking about the parallel port pins related to the ANTENNA pins.  How often does N1MM Logger Plus poll the
parallel port to set/reset the pins related to the antenna selection?  Is it just when a band change occurs, set once and wait for the next band change?
Or is it a continuous setting of the pins?  Also I am assuming that there would be polling going on for the inputs as they could occur at any time.
Is this correct?  The reason for asking this is that I am writing and modifying more of the highly modified PowerSDR version I have to control an external
amplifier with remote antenna switching depending on which rig is driving the amplifier.  I wrote my own client/server for a remote radio setup and am in
the process of testing out locally some of the required code. I can have an off line conversation with anyone who might be interested.
Regards,
Karin  Anne Johnson  K3UU
Palm Harbor, FL

Larry K8UT

Karin,

IMHO - I would not write a program that required parallel ports for ...anything... these days.

Your most robust and fastest radio data is going to come from RadioInfo UDP packets.

As reference, you can read about my freeware amplifier control and antenna switching apps here:

I'd be happy to consult if you need more info.

-larry (K8UT)

[...]

Tim Shoppa

Karin, rather than read parallel port pins, or virtual parallel port pins, I strongly recommend using the broadcast UDP packets going ahead for band change and other station automation.

The broadcasts are done on any frequency change and also periodically (5 seconds?)

It is a joy to use the UDP broadcast packets for station automation. (Compared to old days of parallel ports).

Tim N3QE

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:26 AM Karin Johnson <karinann@...> wrote:
[...]

I appreciate the replies.  The main reason I am using parallel ports is that I have a few old small form factor industrial computer boards that work very
well for my purpose, and besides I don't have to spend any money on new hardware.  Basically I'm cheap, and retired, and have lot's of time to do these
fun projects.
Sooooooo,  I know parallel ports are sort of 'passe these days, but I have them available to me and this hardware/software conglomeration is not
going anywhere with regards to public consumption.   That being said, what is the answer to the original question?   I just ran a very quick test with
some of the code I'm writing and it appears that the antenna data is written only once after band change occurs.  Now to the polling question.

Karin