Topics

PSK shift not recorded and PSK31 in Callsign field has no effect #n1mm

Steve Allen

I never noticed this in the past, this could be normal behavior.  When running in PSK31 and using Fldigi interface QSO can be seen in the Signal browser all offset by 150hz (14.07181Mhz, then 14.07196Mhz, etc).  These are the sounds offset by the sound card in the computer all while the radio is tuned to 14.070Mhz.  When a QSO is recorded in the N1MM+ window all QSO's are recorded at 14.070Mhz but not at the offset recorded / displayed in the Signal Browser window.  Is this normal behavior.  If so, fine.  If not how does one address this?

Second issue is typing PSK31 in the Callsign field does nothing.  Typing CW, SSB or RTTY does switch the rig to the correct mode (an ICOM7610) but entering PSK31 in the field does nothing.  Why?  What is the cause for this behavior?

Any help is appreciated.  I admit I'm a little lost on some aspects of N1MM+ even though I've been using it for contesting for 5 years.
73,
Steve - KC1SA

ve3ki

On your first issue, there is an option in the Setup menu in the Digital Interface window called Turn Auto TRXUdate On. This option should be checked in PSK in order to log exact frequencies rather than the dial frequency. There is also a check box in the DI Setup window called Display Radio Freq and not Exact Freq in DI Caption, but this check box should not be checked. Regarding the Signal Browser, that is an fldigi feature; perhaps the fldigi documentation might help explain some of its behaviour.

On the second issue: In the Contest Setup window, the Mode category should be set to either DIGITAL or SSB+CW+DIGITAL. In the Configurer, under the Mode Control tab, right-hand side where it says Mode Sent to Radio, in the row for DIGI, for both boxes according to the information for this radio under Supported Radios in the manual, the setting for the IC7610 should be PSK. Typing PSK31 into the call sign box should open the DI window with your default PSK interface (which was presumably set to fldigi in the DI Setup window), and put the radio into PSK mode. The Op Mode in the fldigi window will control the digital operating mode (BPSK31 / BPSK63 / QPSK31 and so on).

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 05:57 PM, Steve Allen wrote:
[...]

M0JWB - Jim Bryant

With regard to your second issue, I have a similar setup bur working fine here

Type in PSK31 (or, PSK63 if used) into the ‘Entry Window’ and the mode changes in FLDIGI and in N1MM+ both work fine

Jim M0JWB

Portishead UK

[...]

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 04:37 PM, ve3ki wrote:
Rich (VE3KI),
Thanks for the Turn Auto TRXUdate On hint.  That fixed the frequency recording issue.  I'm still having some issues with PSK mode.  I've had the IC7610 for about 18 months and figured most of it out, or at least ways to make it work for me but those may be incorrect or at least not the 'right way'.  For PSK operation from a program like N1MM, HRD,  FLdigi, etc I've only been able to have the rig transmit data when set to USB-D1 mode.  In PSK mode and using programs the radio enters TX mode but no carrier (no power out).  So my work around has been to manually set the rig to USB-D1 mode.  Now stand alone operation of the rig in PSK works fine using the radio front panel in PSK mode.
What the heck am I setting wrong in FLdigi or N1MM to not let the radio TX data in PSK mode?

Steve - KC1SA

ve3ki

I don't know about the PSK mode - there might be menu settings in the radio that have something to do with the problem - but if you want the program to put the radio into USB-D1 mode automatically instead of having to do it by hand, then in the Configurer under the Mode Control tab, set the entries for Mode Sent to Radio for DIGi modes to AFSK-R.

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 07:34 AM, Steve Allen wrote:
[...]

Rick Ellison

Steve..

On the mode tab of the N1MM config you will see 2 drop down items for each radio. One for RTTY and one for Digi. In the Digi dropdown select AFSK-R. When you enter a digital mode this should put the radio into USB-D1 when you select a digital mode.

73 Rick N2AMG

[...]

N2AMG & VE3KI,
Thanks for the tips.  Now when I type PSK31 in the call box the radio switched to USB-D1.  putting AFSK-R in does switch the radio to USB-D1.  It is odd that the radio can decode PSK internally via it's PSK mode switch BUT N1MM to work with the radio needs to be in AFSK mode.   Perhaps a question off to ICOM is in order.
Again, Thank you for the help.
73,
Steve - KC1SA