Topics

Phone box won't select

wb9cnejon <wb9cnejon@...>

With n1mm log set for cw, ph, and dig all modes can be selected on the screen.  That is, after being clicked,  a circle is displayed around the mode on that band.  The problem is that after dig mode is selected, ph can no longer be selected.  When in digital mode i exited digital mode  by clicking ph.   Sometimes only one band phone mode can be selected.  I can only select ph after closing and re-starting n1mm+.  The funtion keys also do not change to their phone settings.
 This is present now and at least the last two years. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

kb9lgs

On 31 May 2020 at 21:07, wb9cnejon wrote:

I have seen this problem too. And yeah it kind of locks the program up. And yes a lot of
times the way to fix it is to exist the program and go back in.

https://www.avg.com

--
Ray Todd Stevens Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant Stevens Services

Thought for the day:
Kids do what we do not what we say

John Bednar

Make sure that in the contest selection, contest setup that you included a
mode that includes phone and CW.

You didn't say if the Digital interface windows close when you click on the
phone band button.

You may find that entering the mode (CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK31) in the callsign
box and pressing ENTER will help.

I realize that with the addition of FT8 & DIGI mode there are some issues. I
am reworking the mode control in the program. This is a big effort that
started about 6 weeks ago and a lot of code has been touched. I switched
from PSK31 to phone and RTTY to phone with the new code and it works.

There are a lot of contact modes that are assigned to DIGI mode. This may
require some input from the user.

[...]

I do have the log configured to use cw, ph, and dig.  Yes fldigi closes when i click ph or cw.  Then i can't select ph after that.  Cw selection is fine.

--
Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd
(812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Kids do what we do not what we say

ve3ki

If you select CW first, and wait for the Digital Interface window and fldigi to close and things to settle into the standard N1MM+ CW configuration, can you then use the buttons to switch to phone?

--
Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd
(812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Kids do what we do not what we say

wb9cnejon <wb9cnejon@...>

Just tried it.  Now i can't change to phone on any band even right after starting the program.

--
Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd
(812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Kids do what we do not what we say

wb9cnejon <wb9cnejon@...>

On another machine it is working fine now.

--
Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd
(812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Kids do what we do not what we say

VE9AA - Mike

...What happens when you type CW into the callsign field and hit enter?

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 04:02 PM, wb9cnejon wrote:
Just tried it.  Now i can't change to phone on any band even right after starting the program.

--
Mike VE9AA

VE9AA - Mike

...or SSB for that matter.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 04:02 PM, wb9cnejon wrote:
Just tried it.  Now i can't change to phone on any band even right after starting the program.

--
Mike VE9AA

wb9cnejon <wb9cnejon@...>

I just did a fresh install of n1mm+ on another laptop.  On screen, i can select cw on all bands and ph only on 20 meters.  Im not just talking abt the circle around it.  If i select 40 meter ph, and press a function key, it sends cw.  When in cw mode i typed "ssb" in call sign filed.  Nothing is circled but the window banner shows 80 lsb.  The function keys however did not change to ssb functions.  I selected 20 mtr dig and that worked.  I entered ssb in callsign field and fldigi shut down, nothing is circled and banner shows 20 mtr usb.  Funtion keys are still cw functions.  I tried cq and it sent cw.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 04:02 PM, wb9cnejon wrote:
Just tried it.  Now i can't change to phone on any band even right after starting the program.

--
Mike VE9AA

John Bednar

You have another problem.

What contest do you have selected?

In the contest dialog, what “mode” did you select?

Open Config, select Mode Control tab. What option do you have selected on the left side of the window? “Use Radio Mode” is the default.

Open the Band Map window, place the radio on 40m. Tune from the bottom of the band to the top. Do you have a section of the band defined for CW (blue text) and Phone (black text)? If you removed the phone section of the problem bands, it could explain this behavior.

John, K3CT

[...]

After connecting a radio it all seems to work.  Is that necessary for mode switching  to work within the sw?  I have to set up 5 laptops for fd, but only have one of the radios to test with prior to fd.  We did have this issue the last 2 years at fd with radios connected.

[...]

Works fine here with no radio connected

After connecting a radio it all seems to work.  Is that necessary for mode switching  to work within the sw?  I have to set up 5 laptops for fd, but only have one of the radios to test with prior to fd.  We did have this issue the last 2 years at fd with radios connected.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

In the contest dialog, what “mode” did you select?

Open Config, select Mode Control tab. What option do you have selected on the left side of the window? “Use Radio Mode” is the default.

Open the Band Map window, place the radio on 40m. Tune from the bottom of the band to the top. Do you have a section of the band defined for CW (blue text) and Phone (black text)? If you removed the phone section of the problem bands, it could explain this behavior.

John, K3CT

Image removed by sender.

[...]

A penny saved is ridiculous.

John Bednar

Ray,

I expect there is a reason. If this involves a non-RTTY digital mode, I
have already explained the cause.

If this is a phone or CW only issue, the selection of the program mode items
and the radio mode are important. Read and answer my questions below that I
sent to WB9CNE.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 04:02 PM, wb9cnejon wrote:

Just tried it. Now i can't change to phone on any band even right after
starting the program.

--
Mike VE9AA

https://www.avg.com

--
Ray Todd Stevens Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd
(812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
A penny saved is ridiculous.

kb9lgs

On 3 Jun 2020 at 6:38, John Bednar via groups.io wrote:

No computer to radio connection involved. Manually entering the data.

Ray,

I expect there is a reason. If this involves a non-RTTY digital mode, I
have already explained the cause.

If this is a phone or CW only issue, the selection of the program mode items
and the radio mode are important. Read and answer my questions below that I
sent to WB9CNE.

John, K3CT

When I was working with it I could get it to fail pretty consistantly. What I was doing was a
video on how to enter data for a couple contests for our club members. So was taking a
fixed set of data and entering it while filming it and doing a narrative. So I should have some
notes on how to make it fail consistantly. and lets face it. Consistant failures help.

I do rememeber that when this happened it also was resulting in "unique" log entries. Where
the log was not matching the data entered regarding mode and frequency. Some times it
was going to a third mode. That is I would be switching from voice to cw and it would enter
the log entry as a digital contact on a different band.

As I said I will try to get all of my notes out and make a video of it failing with narration if that
would help. Not sure I should post a big file here. Thinking that probably trying to setup a
place to upload it and then post a URL.

Is there anything else I could maybe do to document this better and help.
--
Ray Todd Stevens Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything
which is not prohibited is compulsory.

Barry Bettman

Curious which contest is selected?

73,

Barry K6ST
Nevada Section Youth Coordinator

ARRL (American Radio Relay League) arrl.org

The national association for amateur radio

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 3:16 PM kb9lgs <raytodd@...> wrote:
On 3 Jun 2020 at 6:38, John Bednar via groups.io wrote:

No computer to radio connection involved.   Manually entering the data.

> Ray,
>
> I expect there is a reason.  If this involves a non-RTTY digital mode, I
> have already explained the cause.
>
> If this is a phone or CW only issue, the selection of the program mode items
> and the radio mode are important. Read and answer my questions below that I
> sent to WB9CNE.
>
> John, K3CT

When I was working with it I could get it to fail pretty consistantly.   What I was doing was a
video on how to enter data for a couple contests for our club members.   So was taking a
fixed set of data and entering it while filming it and doing a narrative.   So I should have some
notes on how to make it fail consistantly.   and lets face it.  Consistant failures help.

I do rememeber that when this happened it also was resulting in "unique" log entries.   Where
the log was not matching the data entered regarding mode and frequency.   Some times it
was going to a third mode.  That is I would be switching from voice to cw and it would enter
the log entry as a digital contact on a different band.

As I said I will try to get all of my notes out and make a video of it failing with narration if that
would help.   Not sure I should post a big file here.   Thinking that probably trying to setup a
place to upload it and then post a URL.

Is there anything else I could maybe do to document this better and help.
--
Ray Todd Stevens     Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant      Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd                                                        (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
    Dictatorship (n): a form of government under which everything
    which is not prohibited is compulsory.

kb9lgs

On 1 Jun 2020 at 22:48, wb9cnejon wrote:

I think I have this. Or at least for the incidents I experienced. No idea if this is related to the
problem that others have reported here. I actually have no radio hooked up. Have been
doing training videos for my club. But I can quickly make it happen. Was going to do a
video because In thought it might be complicated. Here are the steps to failure for me.

Open a field day log in the current database. Select ssb+cw+digital

Click on a band and mode on the left. enter a call and then realize you selected the wrong
mode or band and click on a different one. It won't click and then you can't change
band/mode until you exit the program.

Even if you erase the data and try to change them once you have locked the changes by
clicking on this with data in the fields things stay locked.

I just did a fresh install of n1mm+ on another laptop.  On screen, i can select cw on all bands and ph only on 20 meters.  Im not just talking abt the circle around it.  If i select 40 meter ph, and press a function key, it sends cw.  When in cw mode i typed "ssb" in call sign filed.  Nothing is circled but the window banner shows 80 lsb.  The function keys however did not change to ssb functions.  I selected 20 mtr dig and that worked.  I entered ssb in callsign field and fldigi shut down, nothing is circled and banner shows 20 mtr usb.  Funtion keys are still cw functions.  I tried cq and it sent cw.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...> Date: 6/1/20 4:54 PM (GMT-05:00) To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Phone box won't select ...or SSB for that matter.On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 04:02 PM, wb9cnejon wrote:

Just tried it.  Now i can't change to phone on any band even right after starting the program.

 -- Mike VE9AA

https://www.avg.com

--
Ray Todd Stevens Specializing in Network and Security Consulting
Senior Consultant Stevens Services
raytodd@...
308 Kentucky Hollow Rd (812) 279-9394
Bedford, IN 47421

Thought for the day:
A penny saved is ridiculous.

ve3ki

It doesn't do that here on my laptop with no radio. I can enter a call sign, and regardless of whether the cursor is still in the call sign box or has moved into the exchange box, indeed even regardless of whether the exchange is also entered or not, I can change program modes by clicking on a band panel button. I have the "Band Button Left Click Enabled" option checked in the right-click menu in the Entry window.

I don't know why yours is behaving differently, but -- instead of exiting the program, have you tried just doing a Wipe (or Alt+W or Ctrl+W) to clear the entry fields before trying to change bands or modes? Even if you change bands or modes by typing into the call sign box instead of by using the band panel buttons, you can then hit Wipe (or Ctrl+W or Alt+W) again to restore the data you cleared with the first Wipe. Or at least, that's how it works here.

On 4 Jun 2020 at 16:22, ve3ki wrote:

[...]

If you wipe the information before you try to change bands all is good. BUT once you have
trigger this, clearing the fields or wiping will not allow things to work. When it gets in this
mode it is in this mode until you exit.

Now I do have networking turned on. Could that be it?