Topics

Optimum PC

Janez Majdic

Hello,
I have to get new PC, because old one with i3-2100 processor is not capable to handle Waterfall Bandmap and Spectrum display satisfying. I need to run both because I have FT-2000 with IF-2000 build in, and LP-PAN.
Now I'm asking, what is the optimum PC configuration to run N1MM+ with Waterfall Bandmap and Spectrum display. Is i5-9600K processor enough or must I get i7-9600K. Is onboard video enough, or must I get extra video card? Sound card would be Creative SB-XFi, as is now, or should I look for better one? For Windows 10, 16GB RAM, and 500GB SSD HD should be enough!

Janez - S51J

John Bednar

Janez,

Both of these are 9th generation CPU’s with the latest on-chip video. The I5 has six cores, almost four times the computing power of your I3 and all of the four core I7’s. There shouldn’t be an issue with the I5. It is faster than most of the I7 CPUs in use.

Unless you have other plans, 8 Gb memory is fine. Concentrate on the DDR speed and latency numbers. Take advantage of the motherboard dual or quad pairing. No need to install 16Gb.

I would start with the on board video. The update rate is slow compared to gaming video rates.

The audio card doesn’t need to be as fancy as the SB-XFi.  I do agree with the purchase of a card from a company with good drivers. You won’t get any use out of 192 Khz sampling and 24 bit resolution isn’t needed.

The M.2 PCIE SSD drives are impressive. I have used the Intel 760P series M.2 in my last three builds and the CPU Mark score is 99 percentile of all worldwide computers tested.

John, K3CT

On 2019-10-07 6:16 AM, John Bednar via Groups.Io wrote:

Both of these are 9th generation CPU’s with the latest on-chip
video. The I5 has six cores, almost four times the computing power of
your I3 and all of the four core I7’s. There shouldn’t be an issue
with the I5. It is faster than most of the I7 CPUs in use.
John, one caveat when comparing I5 and I7 CPUs. The I5 is runs *one*
thread per core where the I7 will run *two* threads per core. Thus
for a thread intensive application like N1MM with spectrum display
(particularly with MMTTY using EXTFSK/EXTFSK64 or other digital modes),
the I7 is significantly superior - even a four core I7 vs. the six core
I5.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

I have to get new PC, because old one with i3-2100 processor is not capable to handle Waterfall Bandmap and Spectrum display satisfying. I need to run both because I have FT-2000 with IF-2000 build in, and LP-PAN.
Now I'm asking, what is the optimum PC configuration to run N1MM+ with Waterfall Bandmap and Spectrum display. Is i5-9600K processor enough or must I get i7-9600K. Is onboard video enough, or must I get extra video card? Sound card would be Creative SB-XFi, as is now, or should I look for better one? For Windows 10, 16GB RAM, and 500GB SSD HD should be enough!
Janez - S51J

John Bednar

Joe,

I believe this has changed in this desktop cpu generation. One thread per core in the I5 & I7.  The mobile cpu version may be different.

John, K3CT

On 2019-10-07 6:16 AM, John Bednar via Groups.Io wrote:
> Janez,
>

> Both of these are 9th generation CPU’s with the latest on-chip video. The I5 has six cores, almost four times the computing power of your I3 and all of the four core I7’s. There shouldn’t be an issue with the I5. It is faster than most of the I7 CPUs in use.
>

> Unless you have other plans, 8 Gb memory is fine. Concentrate on the DDR speed and latency numbers. Take advantage of the motherboard dual or quad pairing. No need to install 16Gb.
>

> I would start with the on board video. The update rate is slow compared to gaming video rates.
>

> The audio card doesn’t need to be as fancy as the SB-XFi.  I do agree with the purchase of a card from a company with good drivers. You won’t get any use out of 192 Khz sampling and 24 bit resolution isn’t needed.
>

> The M.2 PCIE SSD drives are impressive. I have used the Intel 760P series M.2 in my last three builds and the CPU Mark score is 99 percentile of all worldwide computers tested.
>

> John, K3CT

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

Re: Memory
It depends if this is merely for amateur radio or general use.

If it's for general use, then web browsing these days now starts to push 8GB memory quite frequently (and only just in the last 3 months or so).

If I was buying a new machine I'd definitely put 16GB in it because it might not be a huge problem now, but will be in the near future, by the looks of it.

73, Paul VP9KF & G4BKI

P.S. My main machine is i5 quad core, 8GB, Win7Pro, Toughbook CF-53. Browsers Firefox (occasionally now), Chrome (infrequently) & Vivaldi (99.9%). With the same applications and tabs open Firefox is just slightly smaller in footprint.

Janez Majdic

John, Tom, Joe, Paul, thank you! Your answers showed me that I'm in right direction!

Regards, Janez - S51J

Jason Newton

Hi Janez,

I am having a similar issue with spectrum/waterfall display and the responses are informative. Thanks to those who replied!

I can’t  comment on the SB-XFi sound card but can offer that because the LP-Pan utilizes 192k/24bit audio you may consider the Behringer UMC202HD USB.  Note that it is an external sound device and is reported to have excellent drivers.  See the LP-Pan website for additional comments.

73, Jason K8JT

Steve London

You could avoid the sound card cost entirely by purchasing a low cost SDRPlay or Airspy HF SDR, and using it with your FT-2000/IF-2000. Sell the LP-Pan.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 10/07/2019 10:13 AM, Jason Newton wrote:
Hi Janez,
I am having a similar issue with spectrum/waterfall display and the responses are informative. Thanks to those who replied!
I can’t  comment on the SB-XFi sound card but can offer that because the LP-Pan utilizes 192k/24bit audio you may consider the Behringer UMC202HD USB.  Note that it is an external sound device and is reported to have excellent drivers.  See the LP-Pan website for additional comments.
73, Jason K8JT
_._,_._,_