Topics

No transmit keying

@sy308

I hope someone can point out the error of my ways.  I swear that I have not changed the configuration of my station since ARRL 160 but I can no longer key the transmitter with the program as of tonight.  I was hoping to test the setup before operating in the 160 contest this weekend.

Briefly, two transmitters single operator.   TS890=1, K3=2.  Both rigs key with Winkeyer and transmit as long as N1MM is not active.  As soon as N1MM is started, both radios are recognized, frequencies read, can click to change frequency, etc. In other words all looks normal ready to go BUT no CW is transmitted, that is my hand key is not operating either rig and F keys send no CW.

Both rigs are set to N1MM suggested port configuration and only WinKeyer has CW/Digi checked.  Winkeyer is Always ON, Always ON.

If I set PTT for CW, the rig ptt turns on the transmitter but no CW sent by the way.

What is going on here?  Thanks.

ve3ki

Something is wrong with the configuration for the Winkeyer. Perhaps Windows has changed the COM port number for the Winkeyer's USB port (this can happen, for example, if you unplug the USB cable from the computer and plug it back into a different USB jack on the computer).

The correct control line settings for the Winkeyer are DTR On, RTS Off - this is the way the port will be set up automatically if you simply check the Winkey check box. You also need to set the RadioNr to Both, but this and the Winkey check box are the only things you need to change from the defaults.

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:22 PM, @sy308 wrote:
[...]

Les Elliott

Or you are not in CW mode?
Les, G4OGB

[...]

John MM0JOM

I had something very similar happen to me a couple of weeks ago. All of a sudden winkeyer stopped operating. Checked com port and winkeyer settings and everything looked ok. Gave up in the end and went to single usb cable keying of the 7610 which worked perfectly.
John
MM0JOM

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 04:22 AM, @sy308 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for replies.  I will work with it again this evening.  I do know the radios were in CW mode and the program listed CW also.  I know the COM port of the WinKeyer was unchanged because I verified that with one of it's utility programs and there was no change.  I am at my work  now and will look again at settings this evening.

@sy308

A different WinKeyer worked with N1MM.  I have two.  The only difference was one was set up with Port1 (worked) and the other Port2 (did not work).  I have two radios at the station set up for the first WinKeyer.  TS590 went to Port1 and TS890 Port2.  I haven't researched this extensively in the documentation, but it would appear that CW keying will only work in my setup when Port1, Key1, etc. is used and selected but not Port2. This was frustrating to figure out and it wasted about 5 hours of my time.  Perhaps this clarification might show in Config menu setup for WinKeyer later on so it is more obvious??  Thanks.

ERIC OLSON

Check the winkeyer setup tab to see if use 2nd output is checked.

Eric N7EPD

A different WinKeyer worked with N1MM.  I have two.  The only difference was one was set up with Port1 (worked) and the other Port2 (did not work).  I have two radios at the station set up for the first WinKeyer.  TS590 went to Port1 and TS890 Port2.  I haven't researched this extensively in the documentation, but it would appear that CW keying will only work in my setup when Port1, Key1, etc. is used and selected but not Port2. This was frustrating to figure out and it wasted about 5 hours of my time.  Perhaps this clarification might show in Config menu setup for WinKeyer later on so it is more obvious??  Thanks.

Rick Ellison

Download the Winkey tools from the K1EL website and test out the Winkey to see if you have a problem with the second port or not

73 Rick N2AMG

A different WinKeyer worked with N1MM.  I have two.  The only difference was one was set up with Port1 (worked) and the other Port2 (did not work).  I have two radios at the station set up for the first WinKeyer.  TS590 went to Port1 and TS890 Port2.  I haven't researched this extensively in the documentation, but it would appear that CW keying will only work in my setup when Port1, Key1, etc. is used and selected but not Port2. This was frustrating to figure out and it wasted about 5 hours of my time.  Perhaps this clarification might show in Config menu setup for WinKeyer later on so it is more obvious??  Thanks.

Pete Smith

After disconnecting my Winkeyer from my Windows 10 computer, I've discovered that I routinely have to use WK3Tools to find out what port it is currently listening on, and then change the N1MM setting to match. Aggravating, but seems to be the price for the extreme convenience that the Winkeyer brings (in particular the ability to change from CW to phone and digital modes without rearranging my PTT setup)

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 1/22/2020 9:49 PM, rodman@... wrote:

A different WinKeyer worked with N1MM.  I have two.  The only difference was one was set up with Port1 (worked) and the other Port2 (did not work).  I have two radios at the station set up for the first WinKeyer.  TS590 went to Port1 and TS890 Port2.  I haven't researched this extensively in the documentation, but it would appear that CW keying will only work in my setup when Port1, Key1, etc. is used and selected but not Port2. This was frustrating to figure out and it wasted about 5 hours of my time.  Perhaps this clarification might show in Config menu setup for WinKeyer later on so it is more obvious??  Thanks.

Andy (KU7T)

WK3Tools works. A slightly different approach is to open Windows Device Manager, then unplug and plug back in. You should see the COM port disappearing and reappearing.  No other software needed.

73
Andy
KU7T

[...]

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Pete,

If you always use the same USB port and don't update software, it should stay the same.  Still a nuisance, but not as often.

73,

Drew K3PA

Skip

Unless of course a large company in Redmond Washington has forced an update to your operating system.  In that case, all bets are off and your sound card is likely to be hosed as well.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County