Topics

Networking Spare Computer in Multi-Two

David Needham

 I have set up my Multi-two station networked together on N1MM. I have two main Windows computers and a third one I'd like to have running as a backup. Their Windows names are Run1, Run2, and Run3.
When I start the third computer, the only choice I have are to call it N1MM Run1 or Run 2. I have been selected Run 2. There is no radio connected to it, so I manually set it to 10m and don't select any of the settings that say to give an error if either of the other stations is on the same band. Is there a better way I should be doing this? The documentation suggest running a backup computer, but doesn't cover this question
Thanks, Dave, AA4VT

Tom LeClerc

Hi Dave, I do exactly the same thing here I have a multi-2 station  And have an extra PC sitting there for the sole purpose of backing up all the logs all the time basically you need to name the computer or the station in the configuration so when you name the  Computer name it backup one or office 1 or something other than the names of the other computers if you just did a clone of a hard drive to get that computer working you have the same name as the other 1 that's probably the problem.

That is an absolutely great idea by the way and I saw it written up some place and the thought Hey I'm doing that already lol.

Good luck!

73, Tom

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020, 07:28 David Needham <aa4vt.dave@...> wrote:
 I have set up my Multi-two station networked together on N1MM. I have two main Windows computers and a third one I'd like to have running as a backup. Their Windows names are Run1, Run2, and Run3.
When I start the third computer, the only choice I have are to call it N1MM Run1 or Run 2. I have been selected Run 2. There is no radio connected to it, so I manually set it to 10m and don't select any of the settings that say to give an error if either of the other stations is on the same band. Is there a better way I should be doing this? The documentation suggest running a backup computer, but doesn't cover this question
Thanks, Dave, AA4VT

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

You have chosen bad names for your computers. They should be named to help you and others understand what PHYSICAL computer you are talking about.

When you switch to the third computer, use Ctl+Alt+M to toggle Run1/Run2.  You want to set it to the computer that you are replacing.

The purpose of identifying Run1/Run2 is to group one or more computers into a set so that the sponsor can enforce band change rules. Obviously, you don't want to operate the third station while both of the others are operating.  Pick the one that isn't operating and set run1/run2 to whatever that computer was.

Tom - N1MM

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020, 07:28 David Needham <aa4vt.dave@... <mailto:aa4vt.dave@...>> wrote:

I have set up my Multi-two station networked together on N1MM.
I have two main Windows computers and a third one I'd like to
have running as a backup. Their Windows names are Run1, Run2,
and Run3.

When I start the third computer, the only choice I have are to
call it N1MM Run1 or Run 2. I have been selected Run 2. There
is no radio connected to it, so I manually set it to 10m and
don't select any of the settings that say to give an error if
either of the other stations is on the same band. Is there a
better way I should be doing this? The documentation suggest
running a backup computer, but doesn't cover this question

Thanks, Dave, AA4VT

David Needham

So if I am understanding this correctly, I'll change my computers Windows names to AA4VT-Ham-Desk, Steve- Laptop-A and Steve-Laptop-B.

I select AA4VT-Ham-Desk to be Run 1 at Station 1.

I select Steve-Laptop-B to be Run 2 at Station 2.

The spare is Steve-Laptop-B, which will be the backup, where I will select Run 2 which will not be logging QSO's unless I swap it for one of the other.

Does that work as intended?

Thanks, Dave AA4VT

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

1. Limit names to 15 characters.

2. Why is Steve-Laptop-B initially Run2? What is Steve-Laptop-A? Run 1 or Run 2?

Tom - N1MM

On 10/23/2020 10:10 AM, David Needham wrote:
So if I am understanding this correctly, I'll change my computers Windows names to AA4VT-Ham-Desk, Steve- Laptop-A and Steve-Laptop-B.

I select AA4VT-Ham-Desk to be Run 1 at Station 1.

I select Steve-Laptop-B to be Run 2 at Station 2.

The spare is Steve-Laptop-B, which will be the backup, where I will select Run 2 which will not be logging QSO's unless I swap it for one of the other.

Does that work as intended?

Thanks, Dave AA4VT

David Needham

Will do on limiting to 15 character names.

Dave-Ham-Desk will be at Transceiver 1, where I'll chose Run 1 when starting N1MM

Steve-Laptop-A will be at Transceiver 2, where I'll chose Run 2 when starting N1MM

Steve-Laptop-B will be the spare, with no transceiver connected, but would like to keep another copy of the data base. I am asked to chose Run 1, Run 2 or Last Used. What is the best choice?

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

Doesn't matter. You don't know which station will fail.   Choose Run1 or Run2 depending on which station you want to replace.  Ctl+Alt+M

Tom

On 10/23/2020 10:32 AM, David Needham wrote:
Will do on limiting to 15 character names.

Dave-Ham-Desk will be at Transceiver 1, where I'll chose Run 1 when starting N1MM

Steve-Laptop-A will be at Transceiver 2, where I'll chose Run 2 when starting N1MM

Steve-Laptop-B will be the spare, with no transceiver connected, but would like to keep another copy of the data base. I am asked to chose Run 1, Run 2 or Last Used. What is the best choice?

Steve London

On 10/23/2020 08:32 AM, David Needham wrote:
Will do on limiting to 15 character names.
Dave-Ham-Desk will be at Transceiver 1, where I'll chose Run 1 when starting N1MM
Steve-Laptop-A will be at Transceiver 2, where I'll chose Run 2 when starting N1MM
Steve-Laptop-B will be the spare, with no transceiver connected, but would like to keep another copy of the data base. I am asked to chose Run 1, Run 2 or Last Used. What is the best choice?
Choose either. Just make sure that "Log QSOs at all Stations" is checked.

However, since all you are using Laptop-B for is a copy of the database, having "Log QSOs at all Stations" checked on Dave-Ham-Desk and Laptop-A gives you a complete database on each computer, making Laptop-B redundant. There are also other ways to backup your log, such as TRNMirror ( https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/appendices/third-party-software/#real-time-log-backup-trnmirror-by-larry-k8ut ).

73,
Steve, N2IC

Steve London

On 10/23/2020 08:10 AM, David Needham wrote:
So if I am understanding this correctly, I'll change my computers Windows names to AA4VT-Ham-Desk, Steve- Laptop-A and Steve-Laptop-B.
I select AA4VT-Ham-Desk to be Run 1 at Station 1.
I select Steve-Laptop-B to be Run 2 at Station 2.
The spare is Steve-Laptop-B, which will be the backup, where I will select Run 2 which will not be logging QSO's unless I swap it for one of the other.
Just to make sure this is clear. QSO's will be sent from every computer to every other computer in the network, and will appear in the Log window on every computer. In your case, users will not be making QSO's from Laptop-B, unless it is swapped in.

73,
Steve, N2IC

David Needham

Correct. Laptop B is a hot backup not connected to any radio