Topics

Need help with configuration window on Acer Aspire One

Bill Carpenter

I have Win 10 32 bit loaded on an old Acer Aspire One D255 netbook that originally has XP on it.  It runs Win 10 OK tho slowly.  I have N1MM+ loaded on it and it runs fine except for the configuration window being too big.  The OK button at the bottom is not visible and no amount of moving the window around or trying to resize it will make it visible.  The only two screen settings available are the normal 1024 X 600 and 800 X 600 neither which will allow me to make the window small enough to see the OK button.  I would like to run N1MM+ on this Acer as it's small size makes it perfect for Field Day.  Can any Win 10 experts here help?  I left Windows a few years ago for Linux so not well versed in Win 10 except for when I have to use it for programs like N1MM+.  Maybe I need to find a better graphics driver?

73, Bill NZ0T

ve3ki

600 pixels is not very much height for the display. One thing you can do is move the Windows Task Bar from the bottom of the display to the left or right side. You can right-click on the Task Bar and select Taskbar Settings, then set the "Taskbar location on screen" to Left or Right. Or, you could leave the taskbar where it is but set it to "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode". Either of those would give you a few more pixels of available height on the desktop, which might help.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 05:41 PM, Bill Carpenter wrote:
I have Win 10 32 bit loaded on an old Acer Aspire One D255 netbook that originally has XP on it.  It runs Win 10 OK tho slowly.  I have N1MM+ loaded on it and it runs fine except for the configuration window being too big.  The OK button at the bottom is not visible and no amount of moving the window around or trying to resize it will make it visible.  The only two screen settings available are the normal 1024 X 600 and 800 X 600 neither which will allow me to make the window small enough to see the OK button.  I would like to run N1MM+ on this Acer as it's small size makes it perfect for Field Day.  Can any Win 10 experts here help?  I left Windows a few years ago for Linux so not well versed in Win 10 except for when I have to use it for programs like N1MM+.  Maybe I need to find a better graphics driver?

73, Bill NZ0T

Randy Foltz

Bill, I have the same difficulty with a Gateway LT4004u netbook that runs Win 7.?? Only thing I found that would allow me to see the bottom of the Config Window is to rotate the screen so that it is in "Portrait" mode, make the changes in the Config Window and hit the OK button, then rotate back to "Landscape" mode.?? You can access the "Portrait-Landscape" mode with a right click on the desktop and choose "Graphics Properties."??

73,
Randy, K7TQ
Moscow, ID

On 10/22/19 3:09 PM, Bill Carpenter wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the ideas!   Moving or losing the taskbar didn't work - still not enough room.  The drop down box to change from portrait to landscape is grayed out so I can't do that either!

Les Elliott

Can you temporarily use an external monitor?
Les, G4OGB

Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 2:12 AM
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Need help with configuration window on Acer Aspire One

Thanks for the ideas!   Moving or losing the taskbar didn't work - still not enough room.  The drop down box to change from portrait to landscape is grayed out so I can't do that either!

Bill Carpenter

No, the external monitor circuit was taken out by a lightning strike several years ago.

David AD4TJ

Yuo can buy a USB to VGA adapter and plug a monitor into it, to get around the zapped VGA port.

73, David AD4TJ

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019, 7:40:01 AM EDT, Bill Carpenter <nz0tham@...> wrote:

No, the external monitor circuit was taken out by a lightning strike several years ago.

Bill Carpenter

Thanks David, I didn't think of that.  I'll get an adapter ordered.

73, Bill NZ0T