Topics

N1MM+ WSJT-X Interface Failing #IC7300

Sheldon Hartling

I have a N1MM+/WSJT-X IC-7300 setup I used successfully for CNPOTA activations in August.  However, when I took it out to a park last week it was unstable and the interface between WSJT-X and N1MM+ failed repeatedly with the message:

   WSJT-X – ForEW1
   Rig Control Error

   DX Lab Suite Commander sent an unrecognised mode: "0"

Its an IBM Thinkpad T400 running Windows 7 64-bit with an ICOM IC-7300.  The only difference I can think of is that I'm running updated versions of N1MM+ (now at v1.0.8035.0) and WSJT-X (v2.1.0 -> v2.1.2).  WSJT-X seems to work properly as a stand-alone program and N1MM+ seems to be able to control the radio properly when not running FT8.

I reduced the power on the IC-7300 to 0% and changed the interface baud rate from to 115.2kbaud 19.2kbaud.  No change in the problem.

It will sometimes work intermittently and then fail after a few messages.  Usually the WSJT-X "Enable TX" goes out and when I reenable it I see the “Rig Control Error” message.  I’ve also seen the following error trace displayed a few times:

N1MMLogger.net - Version 1.0.8035.0

Built: 12/10/2019 7:57:46 AM

Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1,64:1,en-US,en-US

Error occurred at: 12/22/2019 5:51:53 PM in Thread:

System.ArgumentException: The IAsyncResult object was not returned from the corresponding asynchronous method on this class.

Parameter name: asyncResult

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndReceive(IAsyncResult asyncResult, SocketError& errorCode)

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndReceive(IAsyncResult asyncResult)

   at N1MMLogger.Net.AsyncTcpListener.ReceiveCallback(IAsyncResult ar) in C:\N1MM+Source\N1MM Logger on .NET\main\N1MM Logger.Net\Classes\AsyncTcpListener.vb:line 136

Call Stack before the runtime error:   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)

   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()

   at N1MMLibrary.SharedLib.CallStackString() in C:\N1MM+Source\N1MM Logger on .NET\main\N1MM Library\Classes\SharedCode.vb:line 89

   at N1MMLogger.Net.SharedCode.HandleError(Exception e, String PortName, String Info) in C:\N1MM+Source\N1MM Logger on .NET\main\N1MM Logger.Net\Modules\SharedCode.vb:line 186

   at N1MMLogger.Net.AsyncTcpListener.ReceiveCallback(IAsyncResult ar) in C:\N1MM+Source\N1MM Logger on .NET\main\N1MM Logger.Net\Classes\AsyncTcpListener.vb:line 153

   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)

   at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)

   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)

   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

   at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)

   at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)

   at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)

   at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

Any idea what to try next?

Thanks, Sheldon

Rick Ellison

Sheldon…

I don’t have any of my radios connected to test this out at the moment but up till 2 weeks ago everything was working correctly with WSJT and N1MM using the 7300. But if you would do the following and I will try to figure out your problem. Send me the following:

1.       Screenshot of you N1MM main  config window open showing the WSJT/JTDX setup tab.

2.        Screenshot of WSJT’s Radio settings tab.

3.       Screenshot of WSJT’s Reporting tab.

4.       When you open WSJT using the Load WSJT menu in N1MM the WSJT Radio window will open up. In that window there is a debug checkbox. Place a check in that box. After you lose connection with WSJT uncheck the debug box. And in your Documents/N1MM Logger+ directory you will find a file called LogError.txt please send that file to me also..

73 Rick N2AMG

[...]

Rick,
I emailed all of the files you requested.  The problem seems to be easy to reproduce in my setup.

Thanks for your help!
73 Sheldon VE1GPY

Sheldon Hartling

Resolved.  Thank you Rick!

Solution was to select "AFSK-R" in the Digi drop-down for radio 1 on the mode tab of the N1MM main config.

From Rick's email response ...
"This is going to put the 7300 in USB-D which is the mode you want to choose when using the 7300 with digital modes. The program is wanting you to use one mode and WSJT is sending something different so since WSJT is not getting a return it is expecting it is throwing the mode error message."

Thanks again
73 Sheldon VE1GPY