Topics

N1MM Logger Plus and FT8

Jeff Clarke

I've been doing some FT8 from PJ4 since activity is so low on CW during the weekday.

Does anyone know how I get my grid square to send when I call CQ or answer someone? When I call CQ it just sends CQ PJ4/KU8E in the standard messages.

I changed my station data in N1MM Logger Plus and in the WSJT-X window File>Settings> General I have PJ4/KU8E and FK52 for my grid square.

Thanks, Jeff  PJ4/KU8E

ShelbyK4WW

Jeff, I believe that adding the grid square exceeds the number of characters allowed. Try just using PJ2T, along with grid square to test my belief?

--
73, Shelby - K4WW
As I don't have an iPad nor iPhone, sent from my PC

Tim Shoppa

Jeff, with “compound callsigns” like PJ4/KU8E in FT8 it is not possible to send grid squares in your CQ.

This is not a M1MM issue, this is an FT8 issue. So further discussion should probably go to a FT8 list.

Tim N3QE

On Nov 19, 2019, at 9:06 AM, Jeff Clarke <ku8e@...> wrote:

I've been doing some FT8 from PJ4 since activity is so low on CW during the weekday.

Does anyone know how I get my grid square to send when I call CQ or answer someone? When I call CQ it just sends CQ PJ4/KU8E in the standard messages.

I changed my station data in N1MM Logger Plus and in the WSJT-X window File>Settings> General I have PJ4/KU8E and FK52 for my grid square.

Thanks, Jeff  PJ4/KU8E

AB2ZY

Wasn’t this discussed recently?

Not an N1MM issue.  FT8 messages are limited to 13 characters. CQ PJ4/KU8E FK52 is 16 characters.

Al

AB2ZY

I've been doing some FT8 from PJ4 since activity is so low on CW during the weekday.

Does anyone know how I get my grid square to send when I call CQ or answer someone? When I call CQ it just sends CQ PJ4/KU8E in the standard messages.

I changed my station data in N1MM Logger Plus and in the WSJT-X window File>Settings> General I have PJ4/KU8E and FK52 for my grid square.

Thanks, Jeff  PJ4/KU8E

ve3ki

This is indeed a limitation in the FT8 (or FT4 or JT65 or JT9 or ...) protocol, and not in N1MM+, but it is not as simple as a character count.

FT8 messages are not encoded in ASCII. The data payload in an FT8 message is only 77 bits, and yet it can accommodate a message like KA1ABC DL1ABC JN68, although that message looks to us like 18 characters. In fact, that same message can also be sent in JT65, which has only a 72 bit payload.

The bottom line is that only standard call signs can be sent in the standard message formats. Compound call signs fit into a much more restricted set of message formats, and those don't include grid squares. Consult the WSJT-X documentation (chapters 7 and 17) for more information.