Topics

N1MM and WSJT-X setup with K3

Dana Shtun

RIch and all
I tried setting up N1MM and WSJT-x using DXLabsuite Commander but
something hangs in the communications link as initially WSJT-x tracks the K3 then loses the frequency tracking…and PTT isn’t working.
If UDP is used by commander to talk to wsjt-x within N1MM:

1. What is the PTT setting (s)
2. What is the UDP port(s)
3. Since I’ ve been using N1MM and WSJT-X separately for ages, are there any tweaks to .ini?
4. When I started WSJT-x from within N1MM I noted it reset WSJT-x and I had to re install settings which is fine…but can anyone advise
the correct settings for a Elecraft K3, Win10 and WSJT-X 2.1?
The online instructions are a bit convoluted...

Thanks 73
Dana VE3DS

On Sep 5, 2019, at 07:56, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

"the addition of Commander" - Commander is not involved. "DXLab Suite Commander" is WSJT-X's label for its capability to control the radio via UDP packets to another software program that is actually doing the communicating with the rig. N1MM+ uses the identical UDP packet method as Commander, so as far as WSJT-X is concerned, N1MM+ is the same as Commander (although in practice, there are apparently timing differences). When WSJT-X is started from the Window > Load WSJT/JTDX menu item in N1MM+, WSJT-X does its rig control via N1MM+ and does not need or use a direct connection to the rig.

"I use LPbridge" - the point of using the UDP communication method for CAT control is that you do not need port sharing software like LP-Bridge. N1MM+ can control the rig directly without using LP-Bridge, and WSJT-X can use N1MM+ to control the rig via the UDP connection.

Since there have already been reports that suggest that timing problems may be leading to WSJT-X sensing loss of CAT control even without LP-Bridge introducing additional delays, it is not surprising that there would be problems when LP-Bridge is also included in the mix. Indeed, in the past some people were unable to get WSJT-X to communicate with the rig via LP-Bridge even without the involvement of the UDP packet method. It appears as if WSJT-X may be quite sensitive to timing of the responses it receives from the rig, leading to the potential for problems when rig control is performed with the help of other programs.

I'd suggest you try it without using LP-Bridge (N1MM+ connected directly to the rig, and WSJT-X using N1MM+ for rig control). There are no guarantees this will work for you, as other people have been reporting difficulties, but it is more likely to work properly without LP-Bridge involved than with it.

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 07:14 PM, Bud Governale wrote:
I experienced the same loss of PTT under the same circumstances.
Your timing speculation may be relevant.
I use LPbridge for virtual comports to link wsjt-x and n1mm with my K3.
The addition of Commander may have also enhanced loosing sync.

73,

Bud W3LL

Rick Ellison

Dana..

In the next release there are some changes that were put in to stop the K3 from disconnecting from the TCP connection. In the few that have tested this it seems to working and no longer dropping the connection like it was. When the next release come out let me know if it corrects the drop outs you have been seeing.

You should be able to setup the WSJT/N1MM setting by following the directions in the online help here at:

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/wsjt-x-decode-list-window/

73 Rick N2AMG

[...]

Avast logo

DxLab Suite Commander is not involved at all. You do not need to download, install or use Commander. If you already use DXLab Suite, you may already have Commander installed in your computer, but regardless, you don't use it when you are using N1MM+.

N1MM+ uses UDP packets, as documented in the WSJT-X source code archive, to communicate with WSJT-X. The WSJT-X programmers call this method DXLab Suite Commander because that was the first external rig control program that used this method to communicate with WSJT-X. They could have added N1MM+ to the list of radio types as a synonym for the current DXLab Suite Commander setting, but they chose not to, so we are stuck with the confusing terminology.

If you have been using N1MM+ successfully for a long time in CW and SSB, you shouldn't need to change anything except for the specific items documented in the manual's "WSJT Decode List" section. If you have never used PTT before from N1MM+ (because you use semi-breakin in CW and don't use wav files in SSB), then the easiest way to configure PTT is to check the "PTT via Radio Command Digital Modes" check box in the N1MM+ setup for the rig control port. In WSJT-X, configure PTT via CAT.

The specific settings you need to set up in WSJT-X for the intercommunication to work are described in the documentation. All of the other settings in WSJT-X can be the same as you use with WSJT-X stand-alone.

As Rick has said, he has been working on changes to fix the rig control problems that some people encountered with the K3 (and maybe some other rigs). Hopefully the changes in the next release of the program will solve that problem.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 08:56 PM, Dana Shtun wrote:
[...]

Pete Smith

I'm not clear what advantages are conferred by using N1MM+ to control the radio when interoperating with WSJT-X.  I'm guessing it might have to do with enabling networked operation, or perhaps other operating modes such as SO2V or SO2R..  For simple-minded SO1R operations like mine in the digi contest , it worked perfectly well to turn off N1MM's rig control and rely on WSJT-X alone.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 9/9/2019 10:59 PM, ve3ki wrote:

[...]

Tim Shoppa

I tend to agree with you Pete for my SO1R effort in WW DIGI.

I really super like N1MM and all its features but it seems like a super convoluted way to key the PTT on the rig with WSJT.

Now WSJT itself is not a good contest logger either. I think I misinterpreted its call coloring and duped some calls by working them both FT4 and FT8 same band. And it didn’t compute scores or upload to scoreboards in real time.

So I think there is a value in handing off some details to a real contest logger because contesting is such a tiny part of the WSJT world and most of the WSJT developers are far from being contesters.

But in the end I was reminded of what happens at a top tier M/M when the computers crap out: every top tier operator just keeps on making Qs - keying by hand and logging with pencil and paper - rather than trying to debug software :-). So maybe the integration needs to be a bit looser than requiring N1MM do every PTT operation.

Tim N3QE

On Sep 10, 2019, at 7:33 AM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I could tell during the test, N1MM was supplying the colors for the  WSJT band activity screen, as well as providing and coloring the WSJT-X decode list, even though  WSJT-X was doing the rig control solo.

On 9/10/2019 8:06 AM, Tim Shoppa wrote:

[...]

Ok, that explains the disconnection that Im seeing….I did get it running last night, so will wait for the update.
thank you Rick.
73 Dana VE3DS

On Sep 9, 2019, at 21:08, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

[...]

As the FT modes are being recognized in more and more contests (ARRL RTTY,NA VHF, Dxdepitions, ect) for example where you can work multi modes when you want to work RTTY or PSK after working an FT mode you have to close WSJT and re-enable to port in N1MM. Or as a lot of users do they use a virtual port to try and control one radio in both programs. When things are working correctly in N1MM you change modes by typing the mode in the Entry window. Type RTTY and the digital window opens and the radio is all set to work RTTY. Type FT8 in the Entrywindow and the digital window closes and WSJT is loaded and the radio is all ready to run. And same with PSK. Everything should be one smooth operation. For most radio’s everything has been working fine for some radio’s timeouts were occurring and causing WSJT to drop the TCP connection. Between what I have programmed now and an improved TCP listener that I’m working on this should be eliminated.

73 Rick N2AMG

[...]

Great, Rick - thanks.  Makes all kinds of sense for multi-mode contests.

On 9/10/2019 9:20 AM, Rick Ellison wrote:

[...]

John Hill

Rick,
I use a K3.  I have a comment regarding the CAT PTT issue.  N1MM+ worked flawlessly on 09/13/19.  That included CAT PTT.  I made 29 40 meter FT8 contacts in an hour.  I was running whatever the current version was on that day.

Yesterday, I operated again for about an hour and discovered that CAT PTT was unreliable.  Initially it worked, but later I noticed that the rig wasn't transmitting.  I had to switch over to RTS PTT.

My conclusion is that one of the revisions since 09/13/19 cause the issue to return.  I am running v1.0.7952.0.

73,
W2HUV

Rick Ellison

John..

I would check all of your settings again. I have not made any changes since the 9/10 release v.1.0.7943. For the past week I have not even been near my computers..

73 Rick N2AMG

I use a K3.  I have a comment regarding the CAT PTT issue.  N1MM+ worked flawlessly on 09/13/19.  That included CAT PTT.  I made 29 40 meter FT8 contacts in an hour.  I was running whatever the current version was on that day.

Yesterday, I operated again for about an hour and discovered that CAT PTT was unreliable.  Initially it worked, but later I noticed that the rig wasn't transmitting.  I had to switch over to RTS PTT.

My conclusion is that one of the revisions since 09/13/19 cause the issue to return.  I am running v1.0.7952.0.

73,
W2HUV

John Hill

Rick,
Could someone else have made a change that affected CAT PTT?

73
W2HUV

Rick Ellison

Looking at the revision history there have been no other changes that would effect that.

73 Rick

Could someone else have made a change that affected CAT PTT?

73
W2HUV

Steve London

Can you go back to the old version and see if it still works ?

You can download it from here:
https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/mmfiles/categories/programlatestupdate/

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 09/22/2019 05:09 PM, John Hill wrote:
Rick,
Could someone else have made a change that affected CAT PTT?
73
W2HUV
_._,_._,_

John Hill

Steve,
Thanks for the suggestion!  I tested both versions as follows:

1) Started N1MM+ and loaded WSJT-X from the Window tab.
2) Selected 40m in WSJT-X (not that the band matters).
3) Clicked the WSJT-X "Tune" button 50 times.

TX lit on the rig 37 times for the old version and 27 times for the current version; i.e. 74% and 54% of the time, respectively.

Apparently, I missed some no TXs when I did so well on 09/13/19, unless there is some other factor that I have overlooked.  I should mention that the "Fake it" frequency shift appeares to occur all of the time, which leads me to believe that CAT PTTs aren't always received by N1MM+.

73,
W2HUV

John H. Long Jr.

I am just setting up a new (for me) K3 and see the same CAT problem here.

Rick Ellison

John..

Make sure you are using the latest version as far as I know as of last month all of the K3 issues were fixed and everything was working with them .

73 Rick N2AMG

I am just setting up a new (for me) K3 and see the same CAT problem here.