Topics

N1MM (almost) mutes Winkey USB sidetone

Pete Smith

Getting set up for CQWW CW, and have a small problem.  My Winkeyer USB's sidetone is fine when using it standalone or with the WKDemo, but when I start MM+ it is muted almost to inaudible.  That suggests to me that MM+ must be sending a parameter to the keyer, but if so, I don't see anywhere in Config/Winkey to specify the sidetone level.  What am I missing?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

VE9AA - Mike

I believe most everyone uses the rigs' sidetone, when interfaced with N1MM+
(how would you hear it with your headphones on anyways?)

That's how I do it.

GL Pete.

Bob Epstein K8IA

Pete,

Like VE9AA. I have always used the radio sidetone for contesting and the Winkey has always muted when N1MM pgm connects.

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

I believe most everyone uses the rigs' sidetone, when interfaced with N1MM+
(how would you hear it with your headphones on anyways?)

That's how I do it.

GL Pete.

Larry K8UT

>Config >Winkey only selects Sidetone ON or OFF.

On my Winkey USB there is no sidetone volume difference between N1MM+ and WKDemo.

Getting set up for CQWW CW, and have a small problem.  My Winkeyer USB's sidetone is fine when using it standalone or with the WKDemo, but when I start MM+ it is muted almost to inaudible.  That suggests to me that MM+ must be sending a parameter to the keyer, but if so, I don't see anywhere in Config/Winkey to specify the sidetone level.  What am I missing?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Pete Smith

Interesting, Bob.  Not my experience, though, as you say, 99 percent of the time I'm using headphones and my radio's sidetone.  The Winkeyer is not totally muted, just turned down too far to hear easily.

On 11/22/2019 9:20 AM, Bob Epstein K8IA via Groups.Io wrote:

Pete,

Like VE9AA. I have always used the radio sidetone for contesting and the Winkey has always muted when N1MM pgm connects.

73, Bob K8IA
Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

I believe most everyone uses the rigs' sidetone, when interfaced with N1MM+
(how would you hear it with your headphones on anyways?)

That's how I do it.

GL Pete.

Dave Hachadorian

For SO2R, I turn off the sidetone on both rigs.  Winkey is set for paddle-only sidetone.  I brought speaker audio out of the Winkey and connected it to one of those old Radio Shack mobile comm speakers, and it is LOUD!  I can easily hear my paddle sending even with headphones on.  The only drawback is that other people in the house have to listen to a loud blast of CW every now and then.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ