Topics

MTTY keys rig separately but not with N1MM

@sy308

I thought I would operate the sprint today.  Guess not.  MTTY works and keys rig stand alone.  When I start up N1MM, the FLDigi window shows decoded text but the EXTFSK box shows BAD for both COM ports associated with the 7610.  I suppose this is something with my setup or a setting wrong.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

ve3ki

EXTFSK cannot open a COM port that has been opened by another program. Therefore it cannot open the "extended" COM port used for rig control (so this port cannot be used for FSK keying). If the second ("standard") COM port is not mentioned anywhere in the N1MM+ Configurer, nor anywhere in MMTTY itself (as distinct from in EXTFSK), then EXTFSK ought to be able to open it. If you need to mention the second COM port in the N1MM+ Configurer for other reasons (for example, if you use it for CW keying), then you must check the "Digital" check box for that port. That tells N1MM+ to close that port before it starts up MMTTY, so that MMTTY (or EXTFSK being used from inside MMTTY) won't be blocked from opening it.

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 01:30 PM, @sy308 wrote:
I thought I would operate the sprint today.  Guess not.  MTTY works and keys rig stand alone.  When I start up N1MM, the FLDigi window shows decoded text but the EXTFSK box shows BAD for both COM ports associated with the 7610.  I suppose this is something with my setup or a setting wrong.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

@sy308

OK, Rich.  If I understand you correctly it is possible to use one of the 7610 USB COM ports for MTTY keying of the radio and the other COM for frequency, VFO, etc.  When the ports are setup in Config, only ONE should be listed, leaving the second one available in MTTY.  If CW keying is used, N1MM is designed to close ports checked with Digital. What I am not sure about is whether any conflicting settings remain in the MENU of the 7610, itself or in the config of the COM ports (Always ON, Always Off, CW, etc.) that are preventing the transmitting.  Thank you.

@sy308

Rich, I restarted the program after removing the second 7610 COM port and got an OK status with EXTFSK.  Transmits OK but late for the sprint contest.  I did not yet try CW reading yet.  Do I need to have any other setting or COM change for that feature to work?  Thanks.

ve3ki

CW reading should not be a problem - that's receive only. N1MM+ does not support transmitting from the CW reader window.

CW transmitting requires some kind of keying connection between the computer and the radio, and that generally uses a COM port somewhere. I don't know whether you have a choice of which COM port and which control line to use for CW keying in the 7610, but if you are able to use, say, DTR on the radio control port for CW keying, then you can check the CW/Other check box beside that port and set the control line (DTR) in the setup window for that COM port to CW, If the only control lines you are able to use are on the other COM port, then you will need to configure that port in the Configurer by checking both the CW/Other and Digital check boxes for it and then configuring the CW keying control line appropriately. There will be corresponding settings in the radio's menu, I am sure. Checking the Digital check box should tell N1MM+ to close the port in digital modes so that EXTFSK can use it, then reopen it again when you switch to CW.