Topics

mmtty with ftdx3000

Rick Smith

  •  I have used that combination many times and now I have lost the magic.
  • The program (n1mm+)  was set up to work with a flex 6300 for a few cw contests.  It quit responding to function keys over this last weekend.  separate issue, later
  • ftdx3k uses com7 for cat and com8 for the rest of it, set to that
  • removed all the com ports for the flex.
  • extfsk is not happy with either com port?
  • I could seemingly get mmtty and n1mm+ both running, but with no mmtty windows, tough to use.
  • sometimes n1mm+ comes right up, sometimes it goes to not responding, the only way to kill it is with task manager.
  • I have mmtty with the decode window, no spectrum & propeller...
  • two days to cqww .
  • KT7G

ve3ki

EXTFSK and N1MM+ cannot both open the same port. Also, FSK keying and CAT control cannot both be done on the same port. If COM7 is used by N1MM+ for CAT control, then the keying from EXTFSK must be done on COM8.

To check which port is which, set up for CW first. Configure only one of the ports (COM7, say) in the N1MM+ Configurer as the radio control port, and check to make sure that N1MM+'s frequency control is working (changing the radio's frequency using the tuning knob should be reflected by changes in the frequency that appears in the N1MM+ Entry window's title bar, and changing the band or frequency in N1MM+ should cause the radio to QSY as commanded from N1MM+). If you are having trouble with this, check the instructions at <https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-supported/supported-radios/#ftdx-3000>. Once you know the CAT control part is working, you can try opening the Digital Interface window and getting that working..

Assuming COM7 is indeed the radio control port, configure COM7 for rig control in the N1MM+ Configurer. Do not mention COM8 in the N1MM+ Configurer at all. There should be no ports called COM8 listed there The only place COM8 should appear is in the little EXTFSK window. There should be no mention of either COM port anywhere in MMTTY itself, only in EXTFSK..

If the EXTFSK window is opening, then provided the Digital Interface window is set to use MMTTY as its digital interface "engine", MMTTY must be open somewhere. Maybe its window is off the screen somewhere, but the MMTTY program must be open, otherwise EXTFSK would not be running. First, check to make sure it is not just hidden behind another window, such as the Digital Interface window. If you still can't find it, there should be an MMTTY icon on the Windows Task Bar. (a white box with the letters RTTY and a pair of crossed ellipses). If the MMTTY spectrum window is not visible, hover the mouse over the MMTTY Task Bar icon to get a little thumbnail window called "RTTY Engine 1" to appear just above the Task bar. Left-click on that thumbnail window to restore the MMTTY window. If that doesn't work, right-click on that thumbnail window, and select either Restore (if it is not grayed out) or Move (if Restore is grayed out and the MMTTY tuning window is not visible on your screen). After selecting Move, press one of the arrow keys on your keyboard a couple of times, then the MMTTY window should appear, and you will be able to move it with the mouse. Mouse-click to "drop" the MMTTY window where you want it.

In the MMTTY Setup (Options) window under the TX tab, the PTT & FSK port should be set to EXTFSK (or EXTFSK64), and if you click on the Radio command button, the Port at the top of the Radio command window should be set to NONE. In the little EXTFSK window, select COM8 (the keying port - the one that is not being used for CAT control) and set the FSK and PTT to correspond with the settings in the FTDX3000's own menu.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 12:28 PM, <macrosmith@q.com> wrote:
  •  I have used that combination many times and now I have lost the magic.
  • The program (n1mm+)  was set up to work with a flex 6300 for a few cw contests.  It quit responding to function keys over this last weekend.  separate issue, later
  • ftdx3k uses com7 for cat and com8 for the rest of it, set to that
  • removed all the com ports for the flex.
  • extfsk is not happy with either com port?
  • I could seemingly get mmtty and n1mm+ both running, but with no mmtty windows, tough to use.
  • sometimes n1mm+ comes right up, sometimes it goes to not responding, the only way to kill it is with task manager.
  • I have mmtty with the decode window, no spectrum & propeller...
  • two days to cqww .
  • KT7G

Rick Smith

Thank You very much.  KT7G