Topics

K3 intermittently forgets to transmit even though FT8 has gone into TX mode

Lewis Sayre

Every once in a while the radio "forgets" to transmit in FT8 and FT4.  Usually the next cycle it fires off OK.
Setup: SO2R, N1MM+, MicroHam MR2K+, 2 Elecraft K3s that have been upgraded to the equivalent of K3Ss. Computer- 3.7 GHz processor with 8 cores and 16 threads.
   Tried to use the MR2K+ soundcards but found I have a broken KIO3B board in K3 #2 as the line-in  to the radio doesn't work. So am using the soundcard in each K3. Am using the MR2K+ now for port assignment and K3 control.
    Is it that the TCP connection drops after 300 ms in WSJT-X and the radio control goes away if no ack?  Is there a setting in N1MM+ or in the Elecraft or in WSJT-X I could adjust so that the communication in the K3 wouldn't be so busy?  Usually happens when FT8 or FT4 is responding to a caller and suddenly I'm mute for a cycle which is very liddish.
    Anybody else have this problem or any reasonable ideas about how to fix it?
   Tnx!
   73 and I remain,
   Lew    w7ew

Larry Knain

I have seen similar but just with WSJT-X using DXLab Commander for the rig interface. I have not tried to track it down. The instances are very few for me and as best I can recall (regrettably maybe not accurate) seem to be after changing bands, modes, or WSJT-X settings (like going from F/H to non-F/H mode).

73, Larry W6NWS

On 8/11/2019 10:25 PM, Lewis Sayre via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Tim Shoppa

Lewis, I have intermittently seen something similar in bare WSJT-X (no N1MM) but maybe it's different in detail. In my case, it happens with both WSJT-X 2.0.1 and 2.1.0, and every so often the rig goes into transmit but there's no transmit audio from the WSJT app for one cycle. I think this happens under some conditions like maybe recent band change or recent audio frequency change.

Tim N3QE

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 10:25 PM Lewis Sayre via Groups.Io <domitrix=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

g3ybo

Hello

I have had the same with my set up as well.

Also no audio sometimes in mid cycle.

Other than that it works just fine with and without N1MM+

Roger G3YBO

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Ed Deichler

I experienced the no-TX problem in WSJT-X a few months ago.  The condition would persist for several days then right itself.  I mistakenly thought it was related to VOX/no VOX selection on my K3.  Turns out the problem was loose connections on the cables to the K3 from my computer soundcard. New cables plus a dab of OX GARD on the connector solved the problem.  Nice to fix a non-software problem, hi.

73 de Ed

On 2019-08-11 10:25 PM, Lewis Sayre via Groups.Io wrote:
Every once in a while the radio "forgets" to transmit in FT8 and FT4.
Does the K3 switch to transmit but generate no RF or does the K3
simply not switch to TX?

There are certain commands that will cause the K3 to mute audio if
they are received while the K3 is in TX. WSJT-X - particularly if
using the TCP interface with Commander, N1MM+, etc. for frequency
control and a "hardware" serial port for PTT - has a terrible
issue with getting PTT ahead of some of the frequency control
commands. This is because WSJT-X tries to do too much (in split)
in the first second of the transmit window rather than set the
TX frequencies in the two seconds *BEFORE* the TX window.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2019-08-11 10:25 PM, Lewis Sayre via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

ERIC OLSON

Lew and others with a K3,
Are you sure the firmware is up to date?  I had a similar experience but mine was out of date.  Loading the current firmware seems to have fixed it.

Eric N7EPD

[...]

I see the event occasionally and my K3 is current with updates.

I have suspected what Joe (W4TV) said is probably right that under some circumstances WSJT-X just can't get everything done it needs to get done after a change by the time it needs to be done and that may depend on when the change was done in an receive interval especially if the change was late in the receive interval.

73, Larry W6NWS

On 8/12/2019 9:38 AM, ERIC OLSON wrote:
[...]

ve3ki

Just to add to the mix of possibilities: at one time, I used to occasionally experience events where the wsjt-x program would go into transmit mode (status bar indicated it was in transmit and which message it was supposedly transmitting) but there was no audio being generated by the sound card. The rig was using VOX, so it stayed in receive, but the program did not decode anything at the end of that time slot. The problem always righted itself on the next cycle. N1MM+ was not involved at all.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:02 AM, Larry Knain wrote:

[...]

Ron Schwartz

This is also my experience. In my case (FTdx5000) there is a high probability that WSJT-X "forgets" its Tx status when you Disable Tx during the decode cycle or just as it transitions between 15 second intervals. Using VOX it both monitors and transmits in the next interval: tx msg appears as a rx'd msg. Using CAT PTT it doesn't key the PTT or it does key the PTT but doesn't generate audio. This behaviour was in version 1 and is still there in version 2.1.0. Sometimes it corrects itself the next cycle but not always. In the latter case I flick the Tune button twice and it resyncs.

73 Ron VE3VN

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM, ve3ki wrote:
Just to add to the mix of possibilities: at one time, I used to occasionally experience events where the wsjt-x program would go into transmit mode (status bar indicated it was in transmit and which message it was supposedly transmitting) but there was no audio being generated by the sound card. The rig was using VOX, so it stayed in receive, but the program did not decode anything at the end of that time slot. The problem always righted itself on the next cycle. N1MM+ was not involved at all.

Lewis Sayre

Gentlemen,
    Tnx for the comments and ideas.  A bit more detail...when the misfire happens the K3 does not go into transmit but the WSJT-X taskbar says it is in TX plus the TX window has the correct message printed.  The K3 remains in RX usually until the next TX time comes around and then the system usually functions appropriately.   I've tried pressing the tune and halt message buttons which have no effect other than to take WSJT-X out of what it thinks is transmitting- no effect on the K3. If I catch the misfire early enough I'll quickly double click the enable TX button and then all works but I'm a couple of seconds into the cycle and the chance of the DX station  receiving a good copy goes way down. The misfires usually happen in the middle of running the faithful, staying on 1 band with only the enable TX button being clicked when you're supposed to click it.  Some days when I first turn the system on the K3 won't go into TX on the very first tune or TX but then functions well thereafter...until the misfire randomly happens.
    I think W4TV's idea about WSJT-X forgetting to put the TX command first in line sounds like the best explanation.  I did re-download another edition of WSJT-X ver 2.1, but it didn't seem to make any difference.and I was already running ver 2.1.
     Imagine being on 6M,"running" JA/HLon FT8 and having a VR2 call in and the system fails like this...I survived that cardiac stress test and the WSJT-X ver was 2.0.1.
    I don't know if JTDX or MSHV has this misfire problem but would guess that they might as they are probably similar under the skin. I'd like to hear if any JTDX of MSHV users have had this problem.
   Thanks,
   73 and I remain,
   Lew     w7ew

Dan Violette - KI6X

  • Every once in a while the radio "forgets" to transmit in FT8 and FT4.  Usually the next cycle it fires off OK.
    Setup: SO2R, N1MM+, MicroHam MR2K+, 2 Elecraft K3s

Yes, same problem using K3, WSJT-X, DXLabs (logging) with sound card direct into K3 and serial PTT.  Think our only same items are K3/WSJT-X.  Dan KI6X

Rich K1DJ

Same here.  K3S solo op N1MM+ WSJT-X

On Aug 13, 2019, at 9:54 PM, Dan Violette - KI6X <danki6x@...> wrote:

  • Every once in a while the radio "forgets" to transmit in FT8 and FT4.  Usually the next cycle it fires off OK.
    Setup: SO2R, N1MM+, MicroHam MR2K+, 2 Elecraft K3s

Yes, same problem using K3, WSJT-X, DXLabs (logging) with sound card direct into K3 and serial PTT.  Think our only same items are K3/WSJT-X.  Dan KI6X

Walt W0CP

Go into DXlab Commander configuration and click the general tab. Check the box "no interrogation while transmitting".

B. Smith

N1MM uses DXCommander in name only, so, although this suggestion may help, it can't be done.

Rick Ellison

Hi Bill..

Are you using the latest version?? There were some recent changes made to the way the TCP connections is done and I had a couple of K3 users testing it out to make sure it corrected their issues of the radio dropping out. I have nothing but good things from them saying the radio connection is rock solid with their K3 setup. I’m hoping one of them will chime in here and tell you what their settings are so you can get thru this issue. I don’t own a K3 so I relied on what they were telling me.

73 Rick N2AMG