Topics

[K2] N1MM Logger sending CW to K2

Mike Kopacki

I am trying to setup my K2 with N1MM Logger so that I can send CW and phone from my Windows 10 tablet to the K2.  I have the KIO2 cable built and just purchased the KUSB converter.  I updated the driver for the converter (although I find no instructions that say this needs to be done).

N1MM Logger now follows the radio band and correctly logs the contact.  However, I cannot send CW from N1MM Logger to the K2.  I get the following error message at the bottom of the Entry window:  "Unable to send this CW because there is no CW port set in Config: "

The user manual for N1MM Logger makes this comment:  "N1MM Logger does not support the K2 “virtual keying” feature using commands sent to the K2 serial port."
So I am confused as to whether or not it is even possible to set this up.  Has anyone been able to do this?  Any help is appreciated, and thanks!
Mike

Mirko �ibilja

Mike, you just need simple CW interface (described somewhere in Logger manual), or even better, purchase a W1EL WinKeyer.

73, Mirko, S57AD

--
Mirko S57AD

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

On 12/14/2019 4:02 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:
[...]

VE9AA - Mike

Mike,

Winkeyer.

Proven.

GL

Mike VE9AA

Mike Kopacki

First, thanks for the replies both here and by individual email.

I have an electronic keyer already - the CMOS SUPER KEYER III - designed by KC0Q and N0II.  It is quite nice and I would prefer to use it (rather than buy another one), especially if N1MM cannot send CW messages directly from the Entry window to the K2.  I will also try to reach out to them for help.

I have been off the air for 19 years but before my hiatus I used the N1MM logging software and even documented the port setup (with a screenshot) with the K2.  Even though I cannot remember, I'm guessing that I got it working since there is a screenshot of the port setup.  Back then I was using a computer and connecting via the LPT port so I know things are different now.

As of now the keyer is not sending Morse to the K2.

I hope all this info will prompt more replies!

Thanks, Mike

ve3ki

Does that keyer have a connection to the computer? If not, the computer can't possibly use it to send CW. You can use it from a paddle, but not from a computer.

N1MM+ can send CW to the K2 via a suitable connection between the computer and the K2's key jack. If you had it working from an LPT port many years ago, that must have been with the help of a keying circuit (one transistor) between the LPT port and the radio's key jack. The equivalent today would use a similar one-transistor keying circuit connected to a USB-to-serial adapter instead of to an LPT port. There are other possible solutions (such as a mortty, WKmini, winkeyer, ...), but the one-transistor keying circuit one is the one most similar to what you apparently used before.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 02:52 PM, <mikekopacki@...> wrote:
[...]

What is the W1EL keyer and how is it connected?

Mark Schreiner

Same as WinKeyer.  K1EL was the original designer of it.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019, 8:45 PM <mikekopacki@...> wrote:
What is the W1EL keyer and how is it connected?

Mark Schreiner

K1EL

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019, 8:45 PM <mikekopacki@...> wrote:
What is the W1EL keyer and how is it connected?

Monte Stark

Hi Mike,

The keyer connects to the computer via a USB port. (cable)

The output of the keyer connects to the KEY jack on your rig. Set that Key jack to Hand Key if your radio has such a menu item.

The paddles connect to the keyer.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y

Mountain Home, ID  DN23dc