Topics

[K2] N1MM Logger sending CW to K2

Mike Kopacki

I am trying to setup my K2 with N1MM Logger so that I can send CW and phone from my Windows 10 tablet to the K2.  I have the KIO2 cable built and just purchased the KUSB converter.  I updated the driver for the converter (although I find no instructions that say this needs to be done).

N1MM Logger now follows the radio band and correctly logs the contact.  However, I cannot send CW from N1MM Logger to the K2.  I get the following error message at the bottom of the Entry window:  "Unable to send this CW because there is no CW port set in Config: "

The user manual for N1MM Logger makes this comment:  "N1MM Logger does not support the K2 “virtual keying” feature using commands sent to the K2 serial port."
So I am confused as to whether or not it is even possible to set this up.  Has anyone been able to do this?  Any help is appreciated, and thanks!
Mike

Mirko �ibilja

Mike, you just need simple CW interface (described somewhere in Logger manual), or even better, purchase a W1EL WinKeyer.

73, Mirko, S57AD

V V sob., 14. dec. 2019 ob 22:03 je oseba <mikekopacki@...> napisala:

I am trying to setup my K2 with N1MM Logger so that I can send CW and phone from my Windows 10 tablet to the K2.  I have the KIO2 cable built and just purchased the KUSB converter.  I updated the driver for the converter (although I find no instructions that say this needs to be done).

N1MM Logger now follows the radio band and correctly logs the contact.  However, I cannot send CW from N1MM Logger to the K2.  I get the following error message at the bottom of the Entry window:  "Unable to send this CW because there is no CW port set in Config: "

The user manual for N1MM Logger makes this comment:  "N1MM Logger does not support the K2 “virtual keying” feature using commands sent to the K2 serial port."
So I am confused as to whether or not it is even possible to set this up.  Has anyone been able to do this?  Any help is appreciated, and thanks!
Mike

--
Mirko S57AD

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

On 12/14/2019 4:02 PM, mikekopacki@... wrote:

N1MM Logger now follows the radio band and correctly logs the contact.  However, I cannot send CW from N1MM Logger to the K2. I get the following error message at the bottom of the Entry window:  "Unable to send this CW because there is no CW port set in Config: "

Mike

VE9AA - Mike

Mike,

Winkeyer.

Proven.

GL

Mike VE9AA

Mike Kopacki

First, thanks for the replies both here and by individual email.

I have an electronic keyer already - the CMOS SUPER KEYER III - designed by KC0Q and N0II.  It is quite nice and I would prefer to use it (rather than buy another one), especially if N1MM cannot send CW messages directly from the Entry window to the K2.  I will also try to reach out to them for help.

I have been off the air for 19 years but before my hiatus I used the N1MM logging software and even documented the port setup (with a screenshot) with the K2.  Even though I cannot remember, I'm guessing that I got it working since there is a screenshot of the port setup.  Back then I was using a computer and connecting via the LPT port so I know things are different now.

As of now the keyer is not sending Morse to the K2.

I hope all this info will prompt more replies!

Thanks, Mike

ve3ki

Does that keyer have a connection to the computer? If not, the computer can't possibly use it to send CW. You can use it from a paddle, but not from a computer.

N1MM+ can send CW to the K2 via a suitable connection between the computer and the K2's key jack. If you had it working from an LPT port many years ago, that must have been with the help of a keying circuit (one transistor) between the LPT port and the radio's key jack. The equivalent today would use a similar one-transistor keying circuit connected to a USB-to-serial adapter instead of to an LPT port. There are other possible solutions (such as a mortty, WKmini, winkeyer, ...), but the one-transistor keying circuit one is the one most similar to what you apparently used before.

Rich VE3KI

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 02:52 PM, <mikekopacki@...> wrote:
First, thanks for the replies both here and by individual email.

I have an electronic keyer already - the CMOS SUPER KEYER III - designed by KC0Q and N0II.  It is quite nice and I would prefer to use it (rather than buy another one), especially if N1MM cannot send CW messages directly from the Entry window to the K2.  I will also try to reach out to them for help.

I have been off the air for 19 years but before my hiatus I used the N1MM logging software and even documented the port setup (with a screenshot) with the K2.  Even though I cannot remember, I'm guessing that I got it working since there is a screenshot of the port setup.  Back then I was using a computer and connecting via the LPT port so I know things are different now.

As of now the keyer is not sending Morse to the K2.

I hope all this info will prompt more replies!

Thanks, Mike

Mike Kopacki

What is the W1EL keyer and how is it connected?

Mark Schreiner

Same as WinKeyer.  K1EL was the original designer of it.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019, 8:45 PM <mikekopacki@...> wrote:

Mark Schreiner

K1EL

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019, 8:45 PM <mikekopacki@...> wrote:

Monte Stark

Hi Mike,

The keyer connects to the computer via a USB port. (cable)

The output of the keyer connects to the KEY jack on your rig. Set that Key jack to Hand Key if your radio has such a menu item.

The paddles connect to the keyer.

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y

Mountain Home, ID  DN23dc

CW Ops #1211

SKCC #4904

QRP ARCI #8829

SOC #2

Idaho DX Association

Ron@...

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of mikekopacki@...
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2019 6:46 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] [K2] N1MM Logger sending CW to K2

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Steven G. Steltzer

Mike,

If you're a builder, check out the K3NG keyer program for the Arduino boards. N1MM+ works with them in Winkey emulation mode and the cost of parts is hardly worth mentioning.

Steve, WF3T

Mike Kopacki

I’m using a tablet that has only 1 USB port. Right now it is connected to the K2’s RS-232 port to control the rig. Won’t I lose that, Ron, if I set it up the way you describe?

ve3ki

If your tablet only has one USB port, then you need an external USB hub. That's sort of like a splitter for USB - it plugs into the single USB port on your tablet and then you can plug several USB devices into the USB ports on the hub.

Rich VE3KI

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 08:53 AM, <mikekopacki@...> wrote:
I’m using a tablet that has only 1 USB port. Right now it is connected to the K2’s RS-232 port to control the rig. Won’t I lose that, Ron, if I set it up the way you describe?

Mike Kopacki

That was my next question, Rich!

Steve London

Even better, check out https://hamprojects.info/mortty/ . It's a complete solution that uses the K3NG Winkey emulation. $26 including shipping within the USA.

Steve, N2IC

On 12/17/2019 01:18 AM, Steven G. Steltzer wrote:
Mike,
If you're a builder, check out the K3NG keyer program for the Arduino boards. N1MM+ works with them in Winkey emulation mode and the cost of parts is hardly worth mentioning.
Steve, WF3T

Mike Kopacki

Okay, I've read the Winkeyer user manual. I believe this is what I need to do.  Please let me know if I have missed something...and a sincere "Pre-setup" thanks!

Pre-setup
1 - purchase a USB hub and a USB A to B cable
2 - purchase the Winkeyer
3 - assemble the RCA to 3.5mm cable

Hardware setup
1 - connect the USB hub to the tablet
2 - connect the USB to serial adapter cable to the hub (to control the K2)
3 - connect the Elecraft KUSB cable to the adapter cable and to the RS-232 port on the K2 (to control the K2)

4 - connect the Winkeyer to the hub with the USB A to B cable
5 - connect a 3.5mm stereo splitter to the key jack of the K2 (so I can connect both the Winkeyer and paddles)
6 - connect the RCA connector to the Winkeyer (EITHER key 1 or key 2) and the 3.5mm end to the splitter on the K2
7 - connect my Bencher paddles to the 3.5mm splitter on the K2

Software setup
1 - Follow instructions in the Winkeyer manual

ve3ki

Change the hardware steps to:
1 - connect the USB hub to the tablet with a USB cable
2 - connect the elecraft KUSB adapter between the USB hub and the RS-232 port on the K2
3 - connect the Winkeyer to the USB hub with a USB cable
4 - connect a cable between the Key 1 jack on the Winkeyer and the K2's key jack (do not use Key 2)
5 - connect the Bencher paddle to the Winkeyer's paddle input

As Steve has pointed out, if you don't mind doing a little soldering, a mortty is an economical alternative to the WInkeyer.

Rich VE3KI

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 11:16 AM, <mikekopacki@...> wrote:

Okay, I've read the Winkeyer user manual. I believe this is what I need to do.  Please let me know if I have missed something...and a sincere "Pre-setup" thanks!

Pre-setup
1 - purchase a USB hub and a USB A to B cable
2 - purchase the Winkeyer
3 - assemble the RCA to 3.5mm cable

Hardware setup
1 - connect the USB hub to the tablet
2 - connect the USB to serial adapter cable to the hub (to control the K2)
3 - connect the Elecraft KUSB cable to the adapter cable and to the RS-232 port on the K2 (to control the K2)

4 - connect the Winkeyer to the hub with the USB A to B cable
5 - connect a 3.5mm stereo splitter to the key jack of the K2 (so I can connect both the Winkeyer and paddles)
6 - connect the RCA connector to the Winkeyer (EITHER key 1 or key 2) and the 3.5mm end to the splitter on the K2
7 - connect my Bencher paddles to the 3.5mm splitter on the K2

Software setup
1 - Follow instructions in the Winkeyer manual

Carel PA0CMU

Mike,

I have a laptop with only one COM port and a Elecraft K2.

- in N1MM Logger+ port COM1 is set for the communication with the radio (4800,N,8,1, DTR=CW, RTS=PTT). Just click the 'CW/Other' button.
- pins 2, 3 and 5 of the 9-pins sub-D connector are used for that CAT control (will be the same on your side, I think)
- pin 4 (DTR) is connected to a switching transistor which keys the 3,5mm KEY input of the K2 to ground. (set lnp=hand in the K2 menu-settings)
- my external K1EL keyer (an old K9 model chip, NOT a Winkeyer) is connected parallel to the 3,5mm KEY jack. 

So N1MM Logger+ keys my K2 in CW mode and when I manually want to send morse code I use my Bencher paddle connected to the K1EL keyer. I don't have a USB-to-RS232 convertor cable and cannot test if that works in the same way as my COM port, but give it a try.

Mike Kopacki

I have decided to go with the Winkeyer.  Thanks to all for helping with that decision.  -Mike

Mike Kopacki

Rich, thanks for your comments on the setup. The Winkeyer user manual says the RCA plug can be plugged into either key 1 or 2. 

Why do you say only use key 1?