Topics

install folder error #solved

andrewsherman@...

Hi.
My first attempt at installing this and i get the error as attached.
Can anyone help please?
I've tried multiple locations, Desktop, custom folder on C drive but still get the same error!

TIA.
Andy.

Anthony Luscre

Are you installing on one of the new Windows computers that has or originally had Windows S Mode?
If so that is the problem as Windows S defaults to One Drive.

One the screen before the error message make sure you set the destination to the local Documents folder not a cloud folder.

--
Anthony Luscre

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com

Amateur Radio Resources for Students/Youth - www.k8zt.com/hry

andrewsherman@...

Hi Anthony.

Yes a ‘new’ windows 10 laptop, not an S version though. I stayed away from the S as I think only software from the store can be installed on them.

I’ve tried default the location and various other locations on my drive, including the Desktop. Still the same error crops up.

I may try try disconnecting from wifi completely later to see if that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy. M0BND

Michael Adams

Andy --

I think new Windows 10 (not 10S) machines also try to get users to default to storing documents, etc. on OneDrive.  When I was setting up my father's new computer a couple of months ago, that was one of the questions asked during the out-of-box experience.

If you are using DropBox or the Synology CloudStation utility, those are also forbidden locations for the logger.

Keep in mind that the anti-cloud restriction applies both to the program directory as well as the data directory.   There are two directory trees that you need to keep outside cloud sync directory trees.

-- Michael N1EN/VE2

andrewsherman@...

Edited

Thanks for the reply Michael.

After re-running the install and drilling down through the install path, I had seen that the install directory for the software was fine, however, my files were, in fact, trying to use a default cloud directory.....my, as ever incorrect assumption, that both directories were local file based!!

Thanks all, just have to learn the software now!

Cheers again.

Andy - M0BND

Eliot Mayer, W1MJ

I get an error message, "N1MMLogger.net - The program detected that your N1MM+ user folder ... is stored in the cloud ... Re-Install and move the files to a local location on your disk".  It was true that my original user folder was a OneDrive folder, so I uninstalled and re-installed N1MM, choosing a local folder.  But I still get the message, and it still thinks my user folder is the original OneDrive folder.  In other words, it seems to have ignored my choice of local folder during re-installation.  How can I get N1MM to forget the original folder and use my local folder?  Thanks dE W1MJ

Pete Smith

Did you also delete the N1MM+ Documents folder?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 12/7/2019 3:23 PM, Eliot Mayer, W1MJ via Groups.Io wrote:

I get an error message, "N1MMLogger.net - The program detected that your N1MM+ user folder ... is stored in the cloud ... Re-Install and move the files to a local location on your disk".  It was true that my original user folder was a OneDrive folder, so I uninstalled and re-installed N1MM, choosing a local folder.  But I still get the message, and it still thinks my user folder is the original OneDrive folder.  In other words, it seems to have ignored my choice of local folder during re-installation.  How can I get N1MM to forget the original folder and use my local folder?  Thanks dE W1MJ

Eliot Mayer, W1MJ

Hi Pete N4ZR et al,

I tried your suggestion, but the error message did not change.  I finally found that the unwanted User Data path was "stuck" in the Windows Registry, and it looked like I fixed that problem.  But now N1MM+ is completely non-functional!  I put some screen shots of the error message and other details here:

www.w1mj.com/N1MM_Installation_Issue.pdf
Appreciate any help getting me up and running again.

73 DE W1MJ

Eliot Mayer, W1MJ

I just read "Rules for Posting to the groups.io Forum" on http://n1mm.hamdocs.com/support/ so I am adding this information:

Program version:  N1MM Logger+ FullInstaller 1.0.7711.exe
Operating system version: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Memory:  16 GB
CPU speed:  3.2 GHz
Contest name:  N/A
Radio type:  Elecraft K3
USB to serial adapter:  No, using Siig PCI serial interface board
Any port sharing software:  No

Any error code AND description:  The program won't start.  Instead, a window opens with this long message:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException(0x8004015): Class not
registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154
(REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))
 at
System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CoCreateInstanceCore(Guid&
cisid, Object punkOuter, Int32 context, Guid& iid)
 at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstanceCore(Guid clsid)
 at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateInstance()
 at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.GetOcxCreate()
 at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.TransitionUpTo(int32 state)
 at System.Windows.Forms.AxHost.CreateHandle()
 at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CrateControl(Boolean
figureVisible)
 at System.Window.Forms.AxHost.EndInit()
 at N1MMLogger.Net.EntryWindow.InitializeComponent() in
C:\N1MM+Source\NMM Logger on .NET\N1MM
Logger.Net\Forms\EntryWindow.Designer.vb:line 3469
 at N1MMLogger.Net.EntryWindow..ctor() in C:\N1MM+Source\N1MM
Logger on .NET\N1MM Logger.Net\Forms\EntryWindow.vb:line 380

Other information:  This is a fairly new computer.  But at one point N1MM+ ran on it.  I reinstalled it due to a message saying that I should do so with the User Data folder not in "the cloud".  I did that, but now it doesn't work at all.

Thanks,

Eliot, W1MJ

Eliot Mayer, W1MJ

The N1MM support page, Tom says, "Add SOLVED to the title of a post that contains the solution... We all do embarrassing things. Fess up if you did something like that and asked for advice."  I just made such a post, but adding "SOLVED" appears to have moved it to a different message thread.  So I am re-posting here in case anyone made the same dumb mistake and found this thread...

This was indeed one of the "embarrassing things".  I am not new to N1MM software, but I forgot to add the "latest update" installation after I did the "full install".  I'm a bit surprised that the effect was so dramatic as I have described, but anyway, once I followed the usual instructions for the 2nd part of installation, I am up and running again.  There, I have fessed up.  73 DE W1MJ.

Pete Smith

Eliot. I am by no means an expert; it's been 7-8 years since I did user support.  You need to ask on the <N1mmLoggerplus@groups.io> reflector