Topics

Help with DX-Doubler interface to new computer

Sig

I have just upgraded from a dual-core Pentium running WIN 7 to a refurb six-core i5 8th generation HP Pavilion computer. I’ve been using a DX-Doubler for several years now with the WIN 7 Pentium, which had an LPT port on the motherboard. Of course, the new computer has no LPT port, so I purchased a SIIG Legacy & Beyond Dual Serial Port and Single Parallel Port PCIe X 1 card featuring an ASIX/MosChip MCS9900CV-AA chipset and is advertised as being WIN-10 64 bit compatible. The parallel port is supposed to support ECP, EEP and SSP modes and is compliant with IEEE 1284 standard. The problem is that the interface to my DX-Doubler does not work via this LPT port. When I go into Device Manager, the LPT port Properties does not show an address other than LPT1, LPT2, etc. What am I missing? Is there a known issue with WIN 10 and LPT usage?

Thanks for any help,
de Sig, N3RS

Larry K8UT

Sig,

>Is there a known issue with WIN 10 and LPT usage?
Yes. The problem is that your parallel port will be assigned as LPT1, 2, or 3, but the physical address will not be the default values that were assigned in the Windows 7 and earlier releases. There is a paragraph in the documentation that describes the problem:

You need to determine that assigned address and set it in the N1MM Configurer.

You can look in the Windows Device Manager or use the utility program referenced on the N1MM web page.

-larry K8UT

[...]

Larry, thanks for your insight and guidance in getting this LPT problem resolved. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what was going on to no avail and then you came to the rescue. Not having to worry about addresses in the past left me unprepared to deal with this address problem until you cleared it up for me. You are a great resource for all of us Logger+ users and we are all in your debt. Thanks for being so open to helping us dummies enjoy this great app called N1MM Logger+.

73 de Sig, N3RS

Sig,