Topics

Help for beginner needed

Brad Anbro

Hello all,

I am new to N1MM and am looking for instruction on how to get started correctly. I successfully downloaded the
N1MM program to a Windows 10 Pro desk-top machine and was wondering how to best interface it with an
older Yaesu FT-1000MP (early model) HF radio and a WinKeyer USB keyer.

For cables, I am using a serial-serial cable with which to connect the HF rig to the computer and an ordinary
printer cable to connect the WinKeyer USB to the computer. Is this the best way to go about hooking up these
components? Or should I be using something else, instead of what I have?

Also, does anything need to be done in the menu of the FT-1000MP for communicating with the computer?

Thanks in advance!

73,
Brad, N9EN/4
Bluff City, TN

Tom KG3V

Brad,

I do not know the FT-1000MP, but I am sure there are others here that do. Make sure you look at all the documentation N1MM+ offers. It includes details on interfacing and even specifics on nearly any compatible radio. I would start with just the radio first, once it is connected, you can ring up the BANDMAP, and confirm that the frequency is changing in N1MM+ when you tune the VFO on the radio. Then you are ready to start a great adventure.

73,

Tom, KG3V

On 10/22/2019 3:15 AM, Brad Anbro wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to N1MM and am looking for instruction on how to get started correctly. I successfully downloaded the
N1MM program to a Windows 10 Pro desk-top machine and was wondering how to best interface it with an
older Yaesu FT-1000MP (early model) HF radio and a WinKeyer USB keyer.

For cables, I am using a serial-serial cable with which to connect the HF rig to the computer and an ordinary
printer cable to connect the WinKeyer USB to the computer. Is this the best way to go about hooking up these
components? Or should I be using something else, instead of what I have?

Also, does anything need to be done in the menu of the FT-1000MP for communicating with the computer?

Thanks in advance!

73,
Brad, N9EN/4
Bluff City, TN

Ted Bryant

Brad,

To get the FT-1000MP talking to N1MM, look here:

<https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-supported/supported-radios/#ft-1000mp-mark-vfield>

Once you have that going, then look here for info on WinKeyer:

<https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/setup/interfacing/#k1el-winkeyer>

And

https://www.k1elsystems.com/

73, Ted W4NZ

Ps. Hope you will consider joining us in the Tennessee Contest Group