Topics

good evening from DU1/N6HPX

Larry fields

  Hello to the group here and I know I am new to this group, I am Larry and been using the N1MM+ for a few years now? my problem might have been addressed elsewhere but I am looking for advice here.

My radio here is an Icom 718 and I been trying to figure out how to get the radio to display the Frequency on the system, I am using the Signalink USB, I have tried the setup but it throws comments at me on it. Can I run this without the rig control, or is there a different way?

OPERATE 80-70CM SSB,AND DIGITAL MODES
NETS: 7095 KHZ 0900,1100& 2300 UTC
DX1AFP 145.200 VHF ,432.440 MHZ
2m 144.109 usb,

The SignaLink does not do rig control - it's just a sound card with an added VOX circuit for PTT. If you want radio control so that the program knows what frequency and mode the radio are set to, you will need a CI-V interface to the computer.

You can use N1MM+ without radio control, but every time you change bands or modes you will have to type in the frequency (in kHz) or mode into the Entry window call sign box.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 08:41 AM, Larry fields wrote:
  Hello to the group here and I know I am new to this group, I am Larry and been using the N1MM+ for a few years now? my problem might have been addressed elsewhere but I am looking for advice here.

My radio here is an Icom 718 and I been trying to figure out how to get the radio to display the Frequency on the system, I am using the Signalink USB, I have tried the setup but it throws comments at me on it. Can I run this without the rig control, or is there a different way?

OPERATE 80-70CM SSB,AND DIGITAL MODES
NETS: 7095 KHZ 0900,1100& 2300 UTC
DX1AFP 145.200 VHF ,432.440 MHZ
2m 144.109 usb,

VE9AA - Mike

Larry,

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-supported/supported-radios/#ic-718-using-address-5e-hex

Icom

General Icom Information (all Icom owners please read)

  • Almost every Icom rig requires an ICOM CT-17 CI-V interface or compatible. If your Icom radio has a USB computer interface (IC-7200, IC-7600, etc), install the latest driver for the virtual COM port and audio codec.
  • Icom rigs use software handshaking. That means they do not use DTR and RTS. However, interfaces that get their power from the RS232 port require you to set DTR and/or RTS to “Always On” to supply power to the interface. Check your interface manual to see how DTR and RTS must be set.
  • Set N1MM Logger and the rig to:
    • Address – see specific rig information below
    • Baud Rate – 9600 or 19200 (see specific rig maximum rates below). When a slower baud rate is selected, the program will disable CI-V acceleration features added for radio programming and keyboard tuning.
    • Data Bits – 8 bits
    • Parity – None
    • Stop Bits – 1 bit
  • On your rig, set:
    • “CI-V Transceive” to OFF – If CI-V is set to ON, the Bandmaps will not update as the VFO is turned.
    • “Some Icom rigs have a “4 or 5 Byte Data” or “Frequency Data Length” interface option. Set the radio to use 5 data bytes for the frequency.
  • Due to the limited Icom radio control, the user needs to control the radio from the keyboard. This means that the user can not press these buttons on the radio: SPLIT (most radios), DUALWATCH, CHANGE, VFO/MEMO, A=B, A❮❯B, or MAIN/SUB. Icom radios only report the VFO frequency of the active VFO. Because of this, the program will select each VFO to read the frequency during initialization. During 2011, Icom added a firmware command to poll the radio split to the latest firmware updatable and new radios. Those radios that are capable or reading the split have been updated in program versions 12.03.01 or newer. See the specific radio text for the firmware revision. When using these radios with the proper firmware and program version 12.03.01 or newer, users can change the radio split by pressing the radio button and the program will track.
  • To set and clear split under program control, use ALT+F7 or one of the other keyboard commands. Split is correctly set/cleared when clicking in the Bandmap or Available windows. To select VFOB (SO2V mode only), use the PAUSE, “\”, or CTRL+Right/Left Arrow keys. In SO2V mode, the VFO is also selected with a Right or Left click on the band buttons in the Available window.
  • Frequencies > 2 GHz are ignored and not sent to the radio.
  • For CW sending, a separate CW interface cable is needed between the radio and the computer. This interface may be serial or parallel port or a WinKey. The CI-V cable or serial cable to the radio alone is not enough to do CW.
  • The ALT+F10 swap VFO frequency command is disabled during SO2R for Icom radios that lack a swap VFO CAT command. This is because the program is unaware of Icom VFO B frequency in SO2R mode.
  • The Icom command set (CW via CAT control) is not supported. A COM, LPT, or WinKey is required to send CW.
  • The models below are supported:

  • <snip>

IC-718 using address 5E hex

    • Set N1MM Logger to 19200 bps and the radio to “AT” (AuTo).

--
Mike VE9AA

Les Elliott

You can use one of these to make a CIV
and another to use for cw.
ebay item 264881038502
(ones with a ferrite choke would be better)
Les, G4OGB

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 1:34 PM
Subject: [N1MM+] good evening from DU1/N6HPX

  Hello to the group here and I know I am new to this group, I am Larry and been using the N1MM+ for a few years now? my problem might have been addressed elsewhere but I am looking for advice here.

My radio here is an Icom 718 and I been trying to figure out how to get the radio to display the Frequency on the system, I am using the Signalink USB, I have tried the setup but it throws comments at me on it. Can I run this without the rig control, or is there a different way?

OPERATE 80-70CM SSB,AND DIGITAL MODES
NETS: 7095 KHZ 0900,1100& 2300 UTC
DX1AFP 145.200 VHF ,432.440 MHZ
2m 144.109 usb,

Les Elliott

Sorry – you need one with CTR available for cw.
like - 222727769676
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
Les, G4OGB

Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 1:34 PM

  Hello to the group here and I know I am new to this group, I am Larry and been using the N1MM+ for a few years now? my problem might have been addressed elsewhere but I am looking for advice here.

My radio here is an Icom 718 and I been trying to figure out how to get the radio to display the Frequency on the system, I am using the Signalink USB, I have tried the setup but it throws comments at me on it. Can I run this without the rig control, or is there a different way?

OPERATE 80-70CM SSB,AND DIGITAL MODES
NETS: 7095 KHZ 0900,1100& 2300 UTC
DX1AFP 145.200 VHF ,432.440 MHZ
2m 144.109 usb,

Larry fields

thanks for the info will have to order the cable to do that, and will continue the add
ing frequency manually