Topics

FunctionKeyMessages F2

Fred KG9X

I have noticed when testing my FunctionKeyMessages for the upcoming CW SS that when I send my Run F2 message as follows: F2 Exch, # B <<*>> 62 IL  it does not send the station I am working call first before the message.  But, when I use ESM to answer the call it DOES send the stations call first.  If I add a "!" before the # in the F2 message that fixes just sending the F2 key but then ESM will send the call twice.   I use ESM method almost all of the time when operating but any ideas on what I need to do to fix this?

TNX es 73,  Fred  KG9X

Chris Plumblee

If you don’t use ESM, the convention is to press Insert after you type the calling station’s call in the entry window. Insert sends F5 then F2.

73,
Chris W4WF

--
Chris Plumblee
407.494.5155

Fred KG9X

Interesting Chris.  I have completely forgotten about "Insert" since I use the ESM method.  And, as pointed out by Paul NS2M, if you need to repeat the entire exchange sending the F2 will then NOT send the other stations call.  Thanks!

73,  Fred  KG9X

Fred - NA2U

Thanks for this reminder!

73 from the desert,

Fred/NA2U

On Nov 1, 2019, at 8:59 AM, Chris Plumblee <chris.plumblee@...> wrote:

[...]

There seem to be two schools of thought for those who don't like ESM. Some still use "Insert" and another key (traditionally in CT it was "+" on the number pad, though in N1MM it defaults to apostrophe (" ' ") between semicolon and the enter key on the home row). Others like everything in F2, then F3 functions to log the qso and send TU <my call>. Since N1MM has separate S&P and Run F-key definitions, in the latter case you're not stuck in the awkward position that your exchange includes the other stations call when S&P, which is a big faux pas.

Unfortunately if you have multiple users who have different tastes, users who prefer to use F2 then F3 cannot use the same function key definition as everyone else.

I don't use ESM, but I use Insert and NumPad +, so I get along ok with ESM users at multi-ops. I don't like when the computer decide what it's going to send when I press the same button. Call me a control freak...

Chris W4WF

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 1:11 PM Fred KG9X <fred.kg9x@...> wrote:
Interesting Chris.  I have completely forgotten about "Insert" since I use the ESM method.  And, as pointed out by Paul NS2M, if you need to repeat the entire exchange sending the F2 will then NOT send the other stations call.  Thanks!

73,  Fred  KG9X

--
Chris Plumblee
407.494.5155

Larry K8UT

>Unfortunately if you have multiple users who have different tastes...cannot use the same function key

Easily remedied - use the <ctl>+O {OPON} function when changing operators to auto-select custom messages for each operator.