Topics

FTDI Serial Port Emulator Problems

Joe Gore

I have been using a Parallax USB to Serial (RS-232) adapter to emulate a COM port for years without a problem.  I have been using the Windows 10 drivers downloaded from the Parallax website.

All of a sudden, I am getting this message:
"Power surge on the USB port – Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply." If you expand it, it says "Power surge on the USB port – A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device."

USB power surge error in Windows 10

I have disconnected the device, clicked Reset and rebooted the computer, only to get the same error again.

I had an extra Parallax adapter and tried it - worked once, then stopped. I have tried the adapters on another computer and get the same result.

I was looking on Amazon at other adapters - one had a comment that "Microsoft is releasing new drivers which break many devices with bogus FTDI chips ...".
I have no reason to think that the chips from Parallax are other than genuine, but this comment makes me think my problem may be some conflict with Windows 10.  I have tried both the Parallax drivers and the ones direct from FTDI.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  All suggestions will be appreciated ...

73,
Joe
WA4RTE

John Bednar

Joe,

Your USB port may have suffered some damage.

My laptop USB port was damaged from a USB disk caddy with an external power supply. The USB port still works but that message appears whenever the computer is started.

John, K3CT