Topics

Foot switch connection ckt to N1MM+ WIN 10 computer

HL Serra

Hi, Anyone using a footswitch-

I combed the manual and the USER Group but I'm stymied by which ckt to use to connect my foot switch to the N1MM+ WIN 10 PC computer thru a serial to USB adapter.

I found two ckts in the documentation:

1. Hook the foot switch to Pin 6 of the DB9 of the serial to USB adapter, then provide 0 volts (low) when the foot switch is open, and +3 vdc (high) to pin 6 when the foot switch is closed through a 2N2222/ 1kohm resistor/ 10nF capacitor ckt (This seems to require an external power source to key pin 6, but there should be +5vdc somewhere thru the USB end of adapter.) OR

2. Connect a 10kohm resistor between pins 6 and 7. Set DTR, pin 4 to "Always ON", and RTS, pin 7 to "Always OFF," then connect the foot switch between pins 4 and 6. [I just tried this one and the foot switch doesn't key anything.]

Qs: Is the first ckt proper for a serial to USB adapter foot switch connection? Is the second ckt for a direct connection of the foot switch to a computer with an actual serial port? (My computer has no serial ports, just USBs.)

73, Larry N6NC

Steve London

On 12/24/2019 09:06 AM, HL Serra wrote:
Hi, Anyone using a footswitch-
I combed the manual and the USER Group but I'm stymied by which ckt to use to connect my foot switch to the N1MM+ WIN 10 PC computer thru a serial to USB adapter.
2. Connect a 10kohm resistor between pins 6 and 7. Set DTR, pin 4 to "Always ON", and RTS, pin 7 to "Always OFF," then connect the foot switch between pins 4 and 6.*[I just tried this one and the foot switch doesn't key anything.]*
I use this method. Has worked fine on 3 computers, 2 with USB-to-serial adapters.

73,
Steve, N2IC

Dave K2XR

I am using a footswith.  I used the method that you said does not work for you.

You may have overlooked typing it,  but one step is missing in your setup as typed.

Where you did  "Set DTR, pin 4 to "Always ON", and RTS, pin 7 to "Always OFF"    you also need to tell N1MM  what function to perform when the footswitch is closed.   The default is None    which is exactly you got...

Choosing Normal   will put the rig into Xmit.  But you can also trigger function keys, SO2R radio switch, ESM  and a few others.

    Hope that helps.

   Dave  K2XR

On 12/24/2019 11:06:41 AM, HL Serra wrote:
[...]

Joe WB9SBD

What is the reason, (I know there has to be one) for doing it this way with N1MM+?

Instead of simply wiring the footswitch to the external switch on the rig?

Joe WB9SBD

On 12/24/2019 11:30 AM, Dave K2XR via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Andreas Junge

The are 12 different functions pre-defined for foot switch action in N1MM. Not all of them are rig related. You can see them in the drop down menu.

Even if if it was PTT as you might assumed, then the rig could be far, far away. Maybe not even in the same room or building.

I hope this helps.

73, Andreas, N6NU

On Dec 24, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Joe WB9SBD <nss@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks, Steve. I'll try it again. Q: Do I need to open another "CW/Other" window for COM 7 (the USB adapter) in the Hardware CONFIG menu?

Dave- Yes, there is a message in Foot switch Mode F12: "F12 His Call Space, {F5}{F2}{END}{SPACE}" It works fine when I press F12, just not when I push the properly wired foot switch.

Joe and Andreas- I do it this way b/c I have been operating remote with N1MM+ running on my home computer.

73, Larry N6NC

Steve London

On 12/24/2019 01:50 PM, HL Serra wrote:
OK, thanks, Steve. I'll try it again. Q: Do I need to open another "CW/Other" window for COM 7 (the USB adapter) in the Hardware CONFIG menu?
What do you mean, "another" ? You have a foot switch. You have wired it to a 9 pin RS-232 plug or jack. That plug/jack is plugged into a USB-serial adapter. The adapter creates a virtual COM port when you plug it into the computer. That is the COM port you configure as a foot switch.

Make sure you have wired the foot switch correctly. The 10K goes between pins 6 and 7. The foot switch goes between pins 4 and 6.

73,
Steve, N2IC

HL Serra

Steve, et al- Victory! I Everything is set up properly, and I added the footswitch's COM 7 as a separate CW/Other device in CONFIG. For the Radio and the actual CW COM ports, I left their Foot switch mode to NONE. For the COM 7 Footswitch mode I chose F12 mode and everything works fine. Thank you all for your patience and your help.
Have a Merry and a Happy.
73, Larry N6NC

HL Serra

I just played around with the various Footswitch modes. Actually "ENTER ESM" mode works best for me for running with the foot switch, better than "F12" mode. F12 mode does some funny things like causing the Enter key to repeat His Call and my EXCH when I use Enter at end of QSO simply to log. In ESM Enter, everything works fine. Thanks again.
73, Larry N6NC

Frank de Wilde

Could this work with N1MM+ https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Single-Foot-Switch-Pedal-Control-Pre-Progr-Plastic-Key-for-Keyboard-Mouse-PC/264549854463
(instead of hooking up a normal foot switch to a USB(FTDI)to DB9 interface ?) I could'n find anyone who have done it with N1MM+ on the internet!

73 de Frank PH2M

Kelvin D. Olson

I don't know, but that does look promising.

Reading this thread reminded me that I have a MIDI stomp-box thing - 10 completely programmable stomp-buttons, and a rocker pedal. It made me think I wish I knew a thing or two about software programming, 'cuz... well... I guess I'm just dying to know how screwed up the datastream would get when the MIDI cable sucked in RF. So yeah, LOL, never mind. I'll keep my hobbies in their distinct boxes (or Faraday Cages, as it were).
--
KDO
n0mql

Steve London

To N1MM+, this looks like another keyboard, not a virtual COM port.

As such, it would not be integrated with the N1MM+ foot switch feature. However, it could be used to send a key stroke to N1MM+, just like pressing that key on your keyboard. If you are using the N1MM+ SO2R, two keyboard feature, it would NOT work correctly. N1MM+ has no way to know which of the two keyboards the foot switch should be associated with. However, if you are using a single keyboard, it should work correctly.

73,
Steve, N2IC