Topics

Flex 6600M in SO2R

Grant Kesselring

I have followed the published Setup for SO2R Mode with a Flex-6700 and N1MM+ how-to guide.  Everything is working as it should except the RX audio switch I can't make do what I want.

When working SO2R, I'd like to listen to the S&P radio in both ears during transmission of the CQ on the Run radio, then listen to one in each ear when the CQ finishes.
What I'm getting is the Run audio is muted while the keyboard focus and audio for the S&P radio is in both ears (good).  However, when the CQ finishes on the Run radio, the audio switches back and is muted on the S&P radio.  This is very distracting when doing S&P.  The tilde key will bring stereo audio back (run in one ear, s/p in the other ear).  However, I have to hit the tilde key after each CQ to get the stereo receive back.  Am I missing something?

Thanks, Grant

Andy (KU7T)

Hi,
You have to use the STEREO macros in the function key messages. I do not have my file handy but I believe you need to add a Stereoon to F1 and F4.

Andy
KU7T

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of Grant Kesselring <kesselg75@...>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:42:37 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io>
Subject: [N1MM+] Flex 6600M in SO2R

I have followed the published Setup for SO2R Mode with a Flex-6700 and N1MM+ how-to guide.  Everything is working as it should except the RX audio switch I can't make do what I want.

When working SO2R, I'd like to listen to the S&P radio in both ears during transmission of the CQ on the Run radio, then listen to one in each ear when the CQ finishes.
What I'm getting is the Run audio is muted while the keyboard focus and audio for the S&P radio is in both ears (good).  However, when the CQ finishes on the Run radio, the audio switches back and is muted on the S&P radio.  This is very distracting when doing S&P.  The tilde key will bring stereo audio back (run in one ear, s/p in the other ear).  However, I have to hit the tilde key after each CQ to get the stereo receive back.  Am I missing something?

Thanks, Grant

Grant Kesselring

Hi Andy, thanks for the tip.  I was reading about that and tried to get it to work but couldn't.  Perhaps if you have a moment and could send me a sample function key file, that would jump start my understanding.

Here's what I tried...
###################
#   RUN Messages
###################
F1 CQ,{STEREOOFF}{OPERATOR}\SS\cq_short.wav{END}{STEREOON}
F2 Exch,{OPERATOR}\SS\u_k1kd_86_mn.wav
F3 TNX,{OPERATOR}\SS\tnx_qrz.wav
F4 {MYCALL},{OPERATOR}\SS\k1kd.WAV
# Replace "-" with "!" if you are using voicing of callsigns
F5 His Call,-
F6 Spare,-
F7 QRZ?,{OPERATOR}\QRZ.wav
F8 Agn?,{OPERATOR}\AllAgain.wav
F9 Zone?,{OPERATOR}\Zone query.wav
F10 Spare,{OPERATOR}\SS\test.WAV
F11 CQlong,{CQ}{STEREOOFF}{OPERATOR}\SS\cq.WAV{END}{STEREOON}
F12 Wipe, {WIPE}
#

Grant

Tim K9WX

Andy: I would also be interested in seeing a sample function key file that successfully uses the stereo macros.  Here's what I have tried without success, which I believe is very similar to that tried by Grant.

F1 CQ,{STEREOOFF}CQ CWT K9WX K9WX{END}{STEREOON}

Tim K9WX

John Bednar

Tim,

If you haven’t, program one key to {STEREOOFF} and another to {STEREOON}. Check to see if the command works on the Flex.

John, K3CT

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim K9WX
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 5:12 AM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Flex 6600M in SO2R

Andy: I would also be interested in seeing a sample function key file that successfully uses the stereo macros.  Here's what I have tried without success, which I believe is very similar to that tried by Grant.

F1 CQ,{STEREOOFF}CQ CWT K9WX K9WX{END}{STEREOON}

Tim K9WX

Andy (KU7T)

Hi,
A couple of things to keep in mind. I am by no means an SSB expert but had this working at some point. I am not including my full SSB file as I never went beyond experimental phone contester... A good resource for Single operator contesting is here: https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-operating/single-operator-contesting/

1. The stereo ON switch ({STEREOON}) is most useful in the run messages F1, F2, F3.  I have never used the stereo OFF macro ({STEREOOFF}), have not found the need. 
2. I combine the stereo ON macro with the OTRSP command in Run messages F1, F2, F3 messages.  Combination means to have this string in the macro file at the end: "{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}"
3. Use the toggle switch to enable/disable the stereo handling. CRTL+` (character below the tilde).  That is useful to focus on one radio for a while when things slow down on the other or when your rate is high on run radio and you do not want any distractions. There is also a menu under the SO2R menu to do that with the mouse. 
4. Use the ` (char below the tilde) to switch between stereo and mono.

To summarize and give examples:
Run
F1 CQ,{OPERATOR}\Cq.wav{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}
F2 Exch,{OPERATOR}\CqwwExchange.wav{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}
F3 TNX,{OPERATOR}\Thanks.wav{CLEARRIT}{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}

Hope this helps and good luck in the contest. 

Andy
KU7T

Grant Kesselring

Andy,
The {OTRSPOTHER RX} macro was the key to making it work for me.  Thank you very much for sharing!
73, Grant

Andy (KU7T)

Was that working out for you?

We know we have a (small) issue with hitting ESC while the radios are switching. Will take a look at that after the contest season. 

Andy
KU7T

From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io> on behalf of Grant Kesselring <kesselg75@...>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 12:58 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io <N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [N1MM+] Flex 6600M in SO2R

Andy,
The {OTRSPOTHER RX} macro was the key to making it work for me.  Thank you very much for sharing!
73, Grant

Grant Kesselring

Andy,
Yes, that worked out very well for me.  Thank you for that tip!
- Grant

Craig Thompson

Hi Andy

Yes, there definitely is an issue with the timing using the ESC key. It is rare but when using ESC and a macro you can have a lockup. Thanks for checking into this. 

73, Craig K9CT

Richard Zalewski

Thanks for the replies and tips.  Where do you put the  {OTRSPOTHER RX}  in the .mc file?

Richard 
W7ZR ex:5C5Z, CN2ZR, K2JSP, W6SBZ, W7KXR, K9ZIJ, W9KNF, W0KDF, W0MQU, J68ZR, KC6ZR, PJ4/W7ZR, KH2,W7ZR, KH6/W7ZR, V31ZR, VK4AAZ, XE2DV

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 10:57 AM Craig Thompson <craig@...> wrote:
Hi Andy

Yes, there definitely is an issue with the timing using the ESC key. It is rare but when using ESC and a macro you can have a lockup. Thanks for checking into this. 

73, Craig K9CT

Andy (KU7T)

Richard,

look up this thread for the info, 

samples:
F1 CQ,{OPERATOR}\Cq.wav{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}
F2 Exch,{OPERATOR}\CqwwExchange.wav{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}
F3 TNX,{OPERATOR}\Thanks.wav{CLEARRIT}{OTRSPOTHER RX}{END}{STEREOON}

Andy
KU7T