Topics

sticky End of Windows XP Support

Andy (KU7T)

Windows XP was introduced by Microsoft in 2001 - 19 years ago. Replaced by Windows Vista in 2007, Windows 7 in 2009, Windows 8 in 2012, and Windows 10 in 2014, Microsoft continued to support XP until 2014.

When Microsoft discontinued XP support for your Windows desktop, it also discontinued XP support for programming tools on developers’ desktops. These tools – specifically Visual Studio and the .NET Framework upon which N1MM+ is based – have evolved to the point where innovation of the logging program is constrained by maintaining backward compatibility with Windows XP. Accordingly, the N1MM Development Team is announcing the end of XP support as of January 31st, 2021.

We strongly recommend that everyone upgrade to newer versions of Windows. For those who continue using Windows XP, the website will contain a static archive of N1MM+ based on a final XP-compatible release. However, there will be no updates to features or contests in that archive. Weekly N1MM+ updates beginning February 1st, 2021 will only support Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10.

Thanks and 73,
N1MM+ development team

Papi <papiflaps@...>

"What about Bob?"  You're not supporting Bob? Talk about MS blunders! (Only kidding. about your lack of support...I was forced to use "Bob" for a few months...what a fiasco!) Sorry, had to add this.

Tom Wagner (N1MM)

I had never heard of Bob...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob

Tom - N1MM

On 12/8/2020 7:29 AM, Papi wrote:
"What about Bob?" You're not supporting Bob? Talk about MS blunders! (Only kidding. about your lack of support...I was forced to use "Bob" for a few months...what a fiasco!) Sorry, had to add this.

Bob Turner

I remember Bob. I got ribbing at work from it as I was an IT Tech. I recall a bright yellow sticker with some goofy logo on it. Bob died before "Clippy". I think "Clippy" passed away as well. Clippy was a paperclip icon.

7 3 Bob
N2SCJ

"What about Bob?" You're not supporting Bob? Talk about MS blunders!
(Only kidding. about your lack of support...I was forced to use "Bob"
for a few months...what a fiasco!) Sorry, had to add this.

Tim Shoppa

Clippy for N1MM+: "It looks like you're trying to make a QSO? I can help you make a QSO!"

Tim N3QE

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 8:28 AM Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@...> wrote:
I remember Bob.  I got ribbing at work from it as I was an IT Tech.  I recall a bright yellow sticker with some goofy logo on it.  Bob died before "Clippy".   I think "Clippy" passed away as well.  Clippy was a paperclip icon.

7 3  Bob
N2SCJ

> "What about Bob?" You're not supporting Bob? Talk about MS blunders!
> (Only kidding. about your lack of support...I was forced to use "Bob"
> for a few months...what a fiasco!) Sorry, had to add this.

Skip

The BOB logo actually looked like BooB.  Possibly the shortest lived commercial software release in history, never got beyond 1.0 ... reminded me of Intercal, a language purposely designed to be unusable.  Folks at Microsoft must have had way too much time on their hands.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

On 12/8/2020 7:29 AM, Papi wrote:
"What about Bob?" You're not supporting Bob? Talk about MS blunders! (Only kidding. about your lack of support...I was forced to use "Bob" for a few months...what a fiasco!) Sorry, had to add this.

Lu Romero - W4LT

You were one of the lucky ones, then.

-lu-w4lt-

Andy (KU7T)

Just a reminder about this.

Weekly N1MM+ updates beginning February 1st, 2021 will only support Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10. Stated differently, XP users will not receive any N1MM+ updates from that date.

Thanks and 73,
N1MM+ development team

Andy (KU7T)

We have an experimental version of these changes that are planned for next week. It will download a zip folder of both the full installer and the updater. Install the updater first, and use the full one if directed to do so.

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/mmfiles/net4-6-installer-update/

Change Start Time for February CW and RTTY Sprint to 23Z Saturday. (Coded by N2IC)
Logger+ Audio: Removed the change made in 1.0.8930 to the concatenating audio player voicing of two or more numbers in a group. (several) (Coded by K3CT)
Multiplier window: added error handlers. (Coded by N1MM)
Move to .net 4.6 as minimum required framework version (Coded by KU7T):
    Removed support of Windows XP
    Removed N1MMV12WaveLib from both installers
    Removed N1MMV12WaveLib from all source code projects
    Removed legacy audio code (including N1MMV12WaveLib) from code base and configurer dialog
    Full installer: prevent from running on XP, if NET FW < 4.6, install it
    Updater installer: prevent from running on XP, if NET FW < 4.6, tell user to run full installer
    configured all projects to produce 4.6 assemblies
    recompiled RawInput.dll and use Release dll
Power scheme message update (K3CT) (Coded by KU7T)

Thanks and 73,
N1MM+ development team