Topics

CW keying an Icom 7300 via N1MM?

Andrew O'Brien

Anyone care to share their config settings for CW keying of an Icom 7300 using N1MM ?  I have successfully used CW and N1MM with Kenwood and Flex radios but can't find a way to produce keying of the rig with the new Icom.  I get PTT and other control of the Icom via N1MM ,  but no CW is actually generated . Perhaps there is also an internal Icom setting that I need to set?  I do have the rig set for "straight" key.

--
Andy K3UK

Miguel Caban

Hi I have an ICOM 7300 2 days ago I had to set it for voice W1VE Synth DVK and CW keying the only way I know how to active the CW key is to purchases the Winkeyer USB, last night I tested it out and works very good. With the IC-7300 I tried every way to activated without Winkeyer USB with negative results. Even with other software  which I have Ham Radio Deluxe,. DXlab does not work with out Winkeyer USB.

If you need any information on the set let me know.

P.S I am new to Ham radio only 2 months but still I am glad to help

Miguel Caban Saint Cloud, FL
KN4YF  73

CJ Johnson - WT2P

In the 7300 you can specify which signal you want to generate cw. The setting is on my 7300 single cable post but matching n1mm keying settings to what you set on the radio will generate keying

I don't have the exact configuration in front of me but it is doable. A drawback is of you have a key connected to the 7300, you won't have the same cw speed control as n1mm.

73,
wt2p

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 3:13 PM 'Andrew O'Brien' andrewobrie@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

Anyone care to share their config settings for CW keying of an Icom 7300 using N1MM ?  I have successfully used CW and N1MM with Kenwood and Flex radios but can't find a way to produce keying of the rig with the new Icom.  I get PTT and other control of the Icom via N1MM ,  but no CW is actually generated .. Perhaps there is also an internal Icom setting that I need to set?  I do have the rig set for "straight" key.

--
Andy K3UK

Andrew O'Brien

CJ, I read your post and that looks like the use of CW by setting the Icom internal menu (Connectors/USB Keying) to either RTS or DTR.  I'll try that later but that appears to require a few VSP's to be installed.  My first goal is to try and achieve CW via CAT command and the 7300 is listed as capable of that (since it can do that via the  internal key also) .  I'll go back to both Commander/Winwarbler and N1MM and fiddle a bit more.

Andy K3UK

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 3:13 PM 'Andrew O'Brien' andrewobrie@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Anyone care to share their config settings for CW keying of an Icom 7300 using N1MM ?  I have successfully used CW and N1MM with Kenwood and Flex radios but can't find a way to produce keying of the rig with the new Icom.  I get PTT and other control of the Icom via N1MM ,  but no CW is actually generated .. Perhaps there is also an internal Icom setting that I need to set?  I do have the rig set for "straight" key.

--
Andy K3UK

--
Andy

John Bednar

There are only a few items to set.

- Using the radio SET menu configure DTR for CW. If you want, configure RTS to PTT.
- In N1MM Logger Configurer, open the radio COM port setup window.
- Set the DTR dropdown to CW and if you configured the radio above, the RTS dropdown to PTT.
- There is no need to check "radio command PTT for CW".
- Click on OK to save the settings.
- In Configurer, there should be only one checkmark in the CW/Other column. At the radio COM port.

I don't use the radio PTT. The radio will switch to TX if semi-break in keying is enabled.

John, K3CT

www.wt2p.com

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 3:13 PM 'Andrew O'Brien' andrewobrie@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

Anyone care to share their config settings for CW keying of an Icom 7300 using N1MM ? I have successfully used CW and N1MM with Kenwood and Flex radios but can't find a way to produce keying of the rig with the new Icom. I get PTT and other control of the Icom via N1MM , but no CW is actually generated .. Perhaps there is also an internal Icom setting that I need to set? I do have the rig set for "straight" key.

--
Andy K3UK

--
Andy

ART SEARLE <w2nra@...>

You don’t need WinKeyer for CW.

The N1MM Logger setup for the IC-7300 is attached.

On correction to this is set the com port speed to 115,200.

You have to use the USB port not the CIV Remote Port or the Spectrum and CW will not work.

73, Art, W2NRA
DXCC CW Honor Roll
CWOPS #1955

On Feb 6, 2018, at 5:08 PM, mcaban12@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

Hi I have an ICOM 7300 2 days ago I had to set it for voice W1VE Synth DVK and CW keying the only way I know how to active the CW key is to purchases the Winkeyer USB, last night I tested it out and works very good. With the IC-7300 I tried every way to activated without Winkeyer USB with negative results. Even with other software  which I have Ham Radio Deluxe,. DXlab does not work with out Winkeyer USB.

If you need any information on the set let me know.

P.S I am new to Ham radio only 2 months but still I am glad to help

Miguel Caban Saint Cloud, FL
KN4YF  73

73, Art, W2NRA
DXCC CW Honor Roll

Andrew O'Brien

Art, for some odd reason when I duplicate your exact setting, N1MM tells me  that it can't send the CW because I don't have a CW port configured.  As far as I can see, I do have one established because I checked the CW check-box  just as you did .  Using the latest version of N1MM
Andy K3UK

On Feb 6, 2018, at 5:08 PM, mcaban12@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi I have an ICOM 7300 2 days ago I had to set it for voice W1VE Synth DVK and CW keying the only way I know how to active the CW key is to purchases the Winkeyer USB, last night I tested it out and works very good. With the IC-7300 I tried every way to activated without Winkeyer USB with negative results. Even with other software  which I have Ham Radio Deluxe,. DXlab does not work with out Winkeyer USB.

If you need any information on the set let me know.

P..S I am new to Ham radio only 2 months but still I am glad to help

Miguel Caban Saint Cloud, FL
KN4YF  73

73, Art, W2NRA
DXCC CW Honor Roll

--
Andy

Andrew O'Brien

Bingo !  It was the
"Using the radio SET menu configure DTR for CW"   I was missing .

Andy K3UK

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 5:21 PM, CJ Johnson fredwt2p@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

Your  the  best I did what you said and it works, thank you very much for your support.

73 Miguel KN4GYF beginner

[...]

SQ9CNN / Rafal Dunal

Edited

Hi,

I reopen this topic, because I have a problem with CW keying of my ic7300. All settings looks to be ok:
1) 115, n, 8, 1, dtr=cw, rts=ptt, tx=1
2) port checked for CW, dtr=cw, rts=ptt
3) In my trx, Connectors: USB keying  CW = DTR,
4) CI-V Unlink from Remote.

NO KEYING at all. spectrum and freq display on n1mm is ok.

If I force in N1mm DTR and RTS to on, the radio turns on ptt and send CW, so the settings are ok!!!

With HRD all works OK.

What can be the reason?

SQ9CNN

John Bednar

SQ9CNN,

Line two is not needed. Set that COM port to NONE and uncheck the box.

The CW/Other box should be checked for the radio COM port.

If you have trouble, direct email me a snapshot of your Config window and a snapshot of the radio COM port settings.

John, K3CT

I reopen this topic, because I have a problem with CW keying of my ic7300. All settings looks to be ok:
1) 115, n, 8, 1, dtr=cw, rts=ptt, tx=1
2) port checked for CW, dtr=cw, rts=ptt
3) In my trx, Connectors: USB keying  CW = DTR,
4) CI-V Unlink from Remote.

NO KEYING at all. spectrum and freq display on n1mm is ok.

If I force in N1mm DTR and RTS to on, the radio turns on ptt and send CW, so the settings are ok!!!

With HRD all works OK.

What can be the reason?

SQ9CNN

SQ9CNN / Rafal Dunal

It worked! tnx so much.

Andrew OBrien

Art, do you still have the original attachment?  I need to refer to you instructions again.
Andy