Topics

com port in use another part of n1mm

k2mme

anotther newbie problem: When the program boots up I get a message saying port 4 already in use.Task manager doesnt show anything.  Com 4 is coming from  a 756pro 3 through usb to ftdi converter. So it seems that port conflict is within n1mm. Any comments are apprecciated.

73 Howie k2mme

Les Elliott

This was posted last year, (not by me), may be of help.

Occasionally Windows can get confused and orphan both physical and virtual
comports.  These ports are not visible to the user in Device Manager, but
Windows will enumerate them causing failures when trying to create a virtual
com port where one invisibly already exists.

This procedure will in most cases allow the user to un-hide hidden com ports
in order to delete them eliminating possible com port conflicts.

Before starting, shut down your radio and close any programs what may be
using the virtual com ports, like SmartSDR CAT or other third-part
applications.

1.) Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click
Command Prompt.

2.) At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

3.) Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
start devmgmt.msc

Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.

4.) Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you
can see all devices associated with the computer.

5.) Scroll down to the Ports section and you will be able to see all the
hidden and unused COM ports. The hidden com ports have a grayed out icon
next to them.

6.) To delete a particular port, click to highlight it and hit the Delete
key on your keyboard. In the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK.

7.) After you have deleted the unused and hidden COM ports, the list will
show only those COM ports you use or may use in the future.  Be careful not
to delete com ports that are working properly.

8.) When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.

9.)Type exit at the command prompt.

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the
devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and
prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden
devices <

Les, G4OGB