Topics

Changing modes

Pete Smith

I just noticed something weird.  When I enter SSB in the Callsign textbox of the Entry Window, it switches my radio mode just fine, but the lefthand band list is still headed  CW.  It seems to get the heading from the mode of the current contest.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Pete,

I think that is intended.  It isn't meant so much as a mode indicator, but is a control for changing bands/modes as applicable to the loaded contest.

73,

Drew K3PA

Pete Smith

Could be, but that doesn't work very well in mixed-mode contests.

On 6/1/2020 5:29 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

I just noticed something weird.  When I enter SSB in the Callsign textbox of the Entry Window, it switches my radio mode just fine, but the lefthand band list is still headed  CW.  It seems to get the heading from the mode of the current contest.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

Pete Smith

Correcting myself, it works fine in mixed-mode contests, where there are two band bars

On 6/2/2020 8:13 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

Could be, but that doesn't work very well in mixed-mode contests.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.
On 6/1/2020 5:29 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

I just noticed something weird.  When I enter SSB in the Callsign textbox of the Entry Window, it switches my radio mode just fine, but the lefthand band list is still headed  CW.  It seems to get the heading from the mode of the current contest.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

ve3ki

Pete,

Which contest (the behaviour appears to be different for different contests)? And what is in the Mode category in the Contest Setup window? In mixed-mode contests, in my testing the columns I see are dependent on what's in the Mode category setting. Also, for clarity, are you saying there is only one column headed CW (which is what I would expect to see if the Mode category says CW only)? Or are there two columns, but there is something unexpected about the way they behave?

John has been working on improving mode control for some time now; he is the expert on this topic.