Topics

Cannot Connect to Telnet Clusters

Riki, K7NJ

I’ve not been able to properly connect to telnet clusters. Usually, after a few seconds, I get the message “Connection Error Occurred”. But a few clusters, like GB7UJS.shacknet.NU:7373, seem to connect for a few seconds, but after 10 seconds or so they send a message saying “Connection Failed”.

An important clue is that there is no trouble connecting to the VE7CC cluster which works fine as far as it goes. But, I would prefer connecting to clusters that use AR Cluster V6  that will forward all spots (less only those that I’ve requested to filter out).

Any help in solving this problem (especially in time for the CQWW) would be very much appreciated.

73, Riki 4X4NJ (K7NJ)

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Ronald Morgan

Same telenet issue here in Illinois. I can connect to Northeast Servers but not to the ones in Central USA. 

Ron Morgan, AD9I

On Nov 22, 2016, at 5:01 PM, 'Riki, K7NJ' k7nj@... [N1MMLoggerplus] <N1MMLoggerplus@...> wrote:

I’ve not been able to properly connect to telnet clusters. Usually, after a few seconds, I get the message “Connection Error Occurred”. But a few clusters, like GB7UJS.shacknet.NU:7373, seem to connect for a few seconds, but after 10 seconds or so they send a message saying “Connection Failed”.

An important clue is that there is no trouble connecting to the VE7CC cluster which works fine as far as it goes. But, I would prefer connecting to clusters that use AR Cluster V6  that will forward all spots (less only those that I’ve requested to filter out).

Any help in solving this problem (especially in time for the CQWW) would be very much appreciated.

73, Riki 4X4NJ (K7NJ)

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Lee Sawkins

Hi Riki

You have set filtering at the VE7CC-1 cluster to reject all bands/modes except 40 meter CW.  It is no wonder you don't see many spots.  If you log in as 4X4NJ-16 you can set up filtering specifically for the CQ WW CW contest.  You can turn on skimmer spots by the command SET/SKIMMER.  You can reject all RTTY, PSK spots by the command SET/FILTER KEYWORD/REJ RTTY, PSK.

See VE7CC DX Cluster

Lee Sawkins

If you can connect to some servers and not others then the others are no longer in operation or you have the wrong addresses for them.

Lee VE7CC

Riki, K7NJ

Thanks Lee. You are 100% right.  I finally asked a friend who operates a DX Cluster for his URL. I added his URL to the Telnet list in N1MM+, and it works fine.  The obvious conclusion is that the N1MM DX Cluster list is in bad need of updating!

Just in case there would be problems with the DX Cluster that I’m connecting to, I would feel much better if I had a few more AR Cluster V6 DX clusters available. Many thanks to anybody who would be kind enough to send me a few URLs for such clusters.

Now the challenge is to set up the filters.  I say challenge because all the links that I’ve found for comprehensive information about AR Cluster V6 filters don’t work. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

73, Riki 4X4NJ (K7NJ)

Avast logo

www.avast.com

GALE STEWARD <k3nd@...>

Hi Riki,

Glad that you got it sorted. The following all work here:

K3LR    DX.K3LR.com, port 23

K1TTT    K1TTT.net, port 23

K3WW    K3WW.GOFRC.org, port 7300

73, Stew K3ND

To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 11:28 AM
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Cannot Connect to Telnet Clusters

Thanks Lee. You are 100% right.  I finally asked a friend who operates a DX Cluster for his URL. I added his URL to the Telnet list in N1MM+, and it works fine.  The obvious conclusion is that the N1MM DX Cluster list is in bad need of updating!

Just in case there would be problems with the DX Cluster that I’m connecting to, I would feel much better if I had a few more AR Cluster V6 DX clusters available. Many thanks to anybody who would be kind enough to send me a few URLs for such clusters.

Now the challenge is to set up the filters.  I say challenge because all the links that I’ve found for comprehensive information about AR Cluster V6 filters don’t work. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

73, Riki 4X4NJ (K7NJ)

Avast logo
www.avast.com

robby@...

Could you send me one of those URLs?  I have lost my telnet several months ago. I even bought another laptop and installed N1MM+ and still get connection failed. DXLabs works fine so it isn't the router.
-Robby
HP3SS

John Bednar

Robby,

Remember the Firewall allows “programs” to pass data. Make sure your firewall allows Logger+ to reach the web.

John, K3CT

Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2016 9:12 PM
To: N1MMLoggerplus@...
Subject: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Cannot Connect to Telnet Clusters

Could you send me one of those URLs?  I have lost my telnet several months ago. I even bought another laptop and installed N1MM+ and still get connection failed. DXLabs works fine so it isn't the router.

-Robby

HP3SS

g4bki@...

I test cluster telnet connections periodically and automatically. You can see the latest at:

DX cluster telnet files

Jan Pieter Oelp

Thanks to G4BKL (NOC) for his statement how TELNET can be activated in Windows Vista.........
Below is a copy of the text in http://www.g4bki.com/clusters.htm
It works for me.
Thanka again, Jan PA3CLQ

Installing Telnet on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8

Telnet is not installed by default in Windows Vista or newer; so if you try to run it you will get the message 
"'Telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." 
To install Telnet, do the following:

Click Start then select Control Panel
    Select Programs and Features
    Select Turn Windows features on or off
    Select the Telnet Client option
    Click OK

A dialog box will appear to confirm installation. The telnet command should now be available.

Still having trouble?
The following links may help
DXCluster.Info
IW5EDI
NG3K

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 2:28 PM
Subject: RE: [N1MMLoggerplus] Re: Cannot Connect to Telnet Clusters

I test cluster telnet connections periodically and automatically. You can see the latest at:

DX cluster telnet files

Avast logo

Dit e-mailbericht is gecontroleerd op virussen met Avast antivirussoftware.
www.avast.com

Nico - PA3ADU

I am a new user of N1MM software and are not a computer, windows or other software expert (I am grown-up with the slide rule...).

Basic installation and setup for 2 TRX went fine and can controle both.
Now setting up the Bandmap window and the DX cluster. bandmap showing TRX details. However, the telnet setup is not responding.
I tried to connect e.g. GB7BAA cluster via PuTTY whcih works fine. This means (I think) that the computer (firewall) is correctly configured. Using the same URL and port number in the Edit List of the N1MM telnet window (GB7BAA.COM:7300).
When connecting, the screen stops at "login:" and my call is not reconsied. What can possibly be wrong here? So far no luck with the help files and the forum.

73, Nico

Nico - PA3ADU

checking the "Automatically Logon" box in the Cluster tap did it for me!
Thanks to all who responded to my question.

73, Nico