Topics

Can't Get CAT Control to Work with N1mm

Jim Ruff

I have installed WSJT-X within N1mm, and while the software loads properly inside N1mm, I can't get CAT control to work with my K3.  I keep getting two error messages:
WSJT-X For EW1
Another instance may be running.

FATAL ERROR
Multiple instances must have unique rig name

What do these messages mean and how can I fix the problem?

Thanks,
Jim W7JHR

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...>

Usually you would have wsjtx cat connected to the K3 and no cat connections to N1MM, only localhost udp port

connection between the programs.

See https://qsl.net/w3mie/articles/wsjt-x%20with%20jtalert%20and%20n1mm.html?fbclid=IwAR0s2jREKmq55wltMGRBIY2fd-v3Eo5r0VPcX4cyWe8NTKfNw2Rb4lgVk64

Adrian Fewster

On 2/6/20 1:28 am, Jim Ruff via groups.io wrote:
I have installed WSJT-X within N1mm, and while the software loads properly inside N1mm, I can't get CAT control to work with my K3.  I keep getting two error messages:
WSJT-X For EW1
Another instance may be running.

FATAL ERROR
Multiple instances must have unique rig name

What do these messages mean and how can I fix the problem?

Thanks,
Jim W7JHR

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

ve3ki

On the face of it, these messages are telling you that when you start WSJT-X there is already another copy running. One way this can happen is if the program did not terminate properly when it was run in a previous session, leaving a zombie process running. You can use Task Manager to look for running WSJT-X processes and kill them off before starting N1MM+, or you can simply do a Windows restart to end previous processes and get a clean start.

Don't start WSJT-X stand-alone before running N1MM+. Start N1MM+, then use the Window > Load WSJT/JTDX menu item to start WSJT-X. Follow the setup instructions in the on-line documentation; there is a brief checklist at
<https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/wsjt-x-decode-list-window/#setup-checklist>.

If you have transferred settings from a stand-alone copy of WSJT-X to the copy that runs from N1MM+, you need to redo all of the setup steps at <https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/wsjt-x-decode-list-window/#within-wsjt-x-jtdx> *after* doing the transfer of setups.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM, Jim Ruff wrote:
I have installed WSJT-X within N1mm, and while the software loads properly inside N1mm, I can't get CAT control to work with my K3.  I keep getting two error messages:
WSJT-X For EW1
Another instance may be running.

FATAL ERROR
Multiple instances must have unique rig name

What do these messages mean and how can I fix the problem?

Thanks,
Jim W7JHR

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

ve3ki

This advice is long out of date. It applied during the early days of WSJT-X use from N1MM+, before the current program integration methods were used, but it is not applicable to the method Jim is using. The "WSJT-X for EW1" message he received is clear evidence that he is using the newer method, in which N1MM+ handles all CAT control on behalf of WSJT-X.

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 01:51 PM, Adrian Fewster wrote:
[...]

I run latest software in both programs and find wsjtx direct cat control and just tet N1MM handle the logging via udp suits me well, and more reliable.

I don't believe you know what you are talking about.

On 2/6/20 4:11 am, ve3ki wrote:
[...]

Drew Vonada-Smith K3PA

Adrian,

Read the N1MM help file recommendations.  Rich is exactly right and most definately does know what he is talking about.  That does not mean you can't do it another way, but it is not the suggested method.

By the way, please use callsigns in your signature on ham groups.

73,
Drew K3PA

Rick Ellison

Adrian..

I am sorry to inform you but criticizing   one of the Development team by telling him you don’t believe he knows what he is talking about is a fast way to get banned from this group. Soon, as soon as JTDX changes one of their udp messages you will find the way you are making the connection to N1MM no longer working. The setup direction for using WSJT within N1MM is located at this link. https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/manual-windows/wsjt-x-decode-list-window/

This will be the only supported way this will be done. Passing just the log data to N1MM is only there for JTDX. Once they have changed their messaging it will be removed.

73 Rick N2AMG