Topics

Bandmap in WAE not displaying properly

Rich Seifert

I even double-checked; I CHECKED the “Show unworkable spots” and UNCHECKED it a few times (in case it’s sense was somehow reversed). It has no effect in WAE.

Rich KE1B

On Nov 10, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Rich Seifert <ke1b@...> wrote:

I bring this up every year, but it never seems to get noticed or resolved.

I understand that the Bandmap behaves differently in WAE, since just working a station doesn’t mean you can’t later exchange QTC with them, so a lot of stations “stay” on the map.

First, I DOUBLE-CHECKED that I do NOT have “Show duplicate/unworkable spots on map” checked. However, in WAE (only) dupes and unworkable spots are ALWAYS displayed, cluttering up the map considerably. This is true for both domestic stations (where they should disappear as soon as I work them, since we can’t exchange QTC), and intercontinental stations with which I have already exchanged a full complement of QTC. They appear grayed-out, AS IF I had checked the “Show unworkables” in the config menu.

Minor annoyance, but it’s been there for years.

Rich KE1B

Rick Ellison

Rich..
I think this is because of the special coloring that is used in the bandmap for stations.:

The Entry Window and the Bandmap window contain visual cues about the QTC status of stations spotted in the bandmap. A special color scheme for spotted call signs has been implemented, as follows (colors are configurable – these are the defaults):
RED: the station is a new multiplier on this band (single multiplier color, the same as in other contests)
GREEN: this is a new station on this band, and you can also exchange QTCs with him (you have not yet exchanged 10 QTCs with this station) (in other contests, this is the double multiplier color, but there are no double mults in WAE)
BLUE: this is a new station on this band, but you have no more QTC’s available that can be exchanged with this station (you have already exchanged 10 QTCs, or else you are both EU stations or both DX stations, so you cannot exchange QTCs) (normal QSO color in other contests)
BLACK: this station is a dupe on this band, but you still could exchange QTCs with him for QTC points (this color is the “Color of a QTC callsign in the WAE contest” color in the Manage Skins, Colors and Fonts window)
GREY: dupe, and there are no QTC that can be exchanged – this station is non-workable for any kind of credit, so just pass him by (the same as in other contests)

I have not looked at the code but I believe that the coloring is why you are still seeing the unwanted spots...

On Nov 10, 2019, at 12:26 PM, Rick Ellison <rellison@...> wrote:

Rich..
I think this is because of the special coloring that is used in the bandmap for stations.:
[snip]

Yes, I am VERY familiar with the special color code implemented for WAE, and the reasons for doing so.

GREY: dupe, and there are no QTC that can be exchanged – this station is non-workable for any kind of credit, so just pass him by (the same as in other contests)

I agree; any spot that is unworkable (because you have already exchanged a full complement of QTC, or it is a worked, non-intercontinental station) WOULD be grey on the bandmap, EXCEPT that there is a switch that allows you to eliminate all of these called “Show dupes/unworkable stations in bandmap”. I have that function UNCHECKED, which should eliminate any grey stations. It does so on other contests but not for WAE.

I can’t see any reason to FORCE the user to see completely unworkable spots if they don’t want to. There seems to be no benefit in WAE as opposed to other contests.

Rich KE1B