From: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io [mailto:N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jamie WW3S
Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2020 8:23 PM
To: N1MMLoggerPlus@groups.io
Subject: [N1MM+] band button in entry window, fixed

Not sure where the freq is stored, but found if I enter 3.503 in the entry window, thats the freq stored next time I press the 80m button.....thanks...73

gksmith_1

Hi John and all,

I also have the problem of the frequency not being stored.

I have talked to Jamie, WW3S and we have tried to sort out the problem on my system.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, updated within the past week, computer is a Core i7, 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, using N1MM ver.1.0.8269.0, (although I have had this problem for many prior versions of N1MM Logger), and when I tried the same procedure that WW3S did by manually entering the frequencies, the bands 80, 40, 15 and 10 meters all retained their frequencies after a shutdown and restart of N1MM, but the 20 meter band will not retain the frequency.

I operate mostly RTTY with N1MM so I try to set my frequencies 80 KHz up from the bottom of the band. I.E. 3.580, 7.080, 14,080, 21.080 and 28.080.

I can type these frequencies into the Entry Window, and then when I hover over each button on the Band Plan column, each shows the correct frequency, but if I shut down N1MM and restart it, then the 20 meter button has gone back to being set to 14.200.

If it indeed is supposed to be stored in the Admin Database, would this indicate that my database might be corrupted?

If so, what step should I take next to try to resolve this?

Thanks much for your assistance.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

ve3ki

What mode was the radio in on 20m when you set the frequency to 14.080 MHz - and which band button did you click on (RTTY or DIGI)? The frequency memories are stored by mode, and DIGI is considered a separate mode from RTTY. A few months back (actually just after the ARRL RTTY), I believe I reported that the memories are not stored correctly in DIGI mode (message #46848). Try making sure that the program and the rig are in RTTY mode before entering the frequency to see whether that gets it stored correctly.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:12 PM, gksmith_1 wrote:
[...]

Hi Rich,

I was in RTTY mode and the only column of Band buttons displayed is the RTTY column as I have N1MM set up for a RTTY contest.

I run FSK if that makes a difference.  I use MMTTY as my primary decoder, and also as my transmission program.  I have also running GRITTY and 2Tone as backup decoders.... the reason for GRITTY is that my radio is not supported for a Spectrum Display so I use GRITTY as a pseudo spectrum display.

Thanks.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

gksmith_1

Good afternoon all,

As a follow-up to my information, I tried running N1MM as if I had a manual radio connected with no CAT control capability.

When operating in this mode, upon starting up N1MM, now the default frequency for 20 meters is 14.070 MHz, and this frequency stays through either a shut down and restart of N1MM or equally the same for a complete computer shut down and restart, followed by starting N1MM, 20 meter frequency remains 14.070 MHz.

Next step in experiment....   With radio on, reconfigure N1MM to use my radio, Icom IC-7700, and as soon as I close the Config window, it acts as if it interrogates the radio, via CAT ( CI-V ), which has been set on 3.580 MHz, and during the interrogation it changes the VFO frequency to 18.082 MHz.

Once it is fully connected to the radio, the VFO frequency returns to its previous frequency, 3.580 MHz, and now the preset for 20 meters is 14.080. Sounds like a winner, but its NOT.  Upon shutting down N1MM and restarting the program, with, or without rebooting the computer, the default frequency for 20 meter RTTY again is 14.200 MHz.

I don't know what all this means, but it does make a person wonder what there is about the 20 meter band panel conditions that causes this.

As a point of interest, this same type of condition was asked about on October 13, 2018, in message

I followed the responses that this message generated but, at that time, it did not appear to have a solution, so that is why I have addressed it again now.

Thank you all for your suggestions, and hopefully, eventually a solution will be found.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

Jamie WW3S

Jerry, did you try Ricks suggestion from October and right click in the entry window and reselect the bands you want to use ?

On Mar 27, 2020, at 5:06 PM, gksmith_1 <gksmith_1@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jamie,

Yes, I did that, selected all the HF bands and tried that, to no avail.  I didn't record the results, but I think that maybe the frequency that I set for 30 meters also did not stay fixed as well as the 20 meter frequency.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

Gerald Boutin (VE1DT)

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 06:06 PM, gksmith_1 wrote:

[...]

 Jerry,

Are you using a MicroHam interface & Router software? Using this set up and the radio is off, I get 14200.00 on N1MM startup. If the radio is running, I get the last frequency the radio was using.

--
Gerald, VE1DT

gksmith_1

Hi Gerald,

No, interface here is Timewave Navigator..... and the only software in use is the one that installs the port drivers and Navigator Options Manager.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

gksmith_1

Good evening all,

Well, with more testing I have found that I can create the problem of the 20 meter frequency button in the Band Panel defaulting to 14.200 MHz, and by the same token I can eliminate the problem.

What causes the problem is the Band Map window.

In RTTY mode, if the Band Map window is CLOSED when N1MM logger closes, then all band buttons in the Band Panel will be at the last used frequency when N1MM is started again.,

However, by the same token, if the Band Map window is open when N1MM is closed, then the 20 meter frequency button in the Band Panel will default to 14.200 MHz.

I have run this exercise many times and it always follows that if the Band Map window is OPEN when closing N1MM, 20 meter Band Panel button will default to 14.200 MHz, and conversely when the Band Map window is closed when N1MM is closed, then, the next time N1MM is started, the 20 meter Band Panel button will be at the last used frequency.

I don't have a solution to the problem, but at least I can have a way to prevent it from giving me any more problems.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

John Bednar

Jerry,

I do see something odd occurring when the Bandmap window is open and the program is closed. I will look at this.

I just tested without restarting and the frequency by mode seems to be working correctly. For those that disagree check these items:

Do you have the contest set for digital modes? Open the contest dialog and look at the MODE dropdown. Is it set to a mode that includes “digital”?

I have the left hand side of this window set to “Use contest or radio mode”. Other settings may also be OK, just noting my setting.

To store the digital frequency by mode the right hand side of the Config, Mode Control tab window needs to be set correctly for RTTY and digital modes.

If you type RTTY in the callsign box and press ENTER does the radio switch to the correct mode for RTTY? If not, select the correct setting until this is correct. The frequency store by mode can not work properly if you don’t associate the radio mode to program mode correctly.

If you type PSK31 in the callsign box and press ENTER does the radio switch to the correct mode for Digi modes? If not repeat the above.

Select a contest with CW, SSB, RTTY and PSK modes and set the mode selector to CW+SSB+digital.

I noted the last used frequency on two bands and switched mode on a different band. When I returned to those bands and mode the frequency was correct.

John, K3CT

Well, with more testing I have found that I can create the problem of the 20 meter frequency button in the Band Panel defaulting to 14.200 MHz, and by the same token I can eliminate the problem.

What causes the problem is the Band Map window.

In RTTY mode, if the Band Map window is CLOSED when N1MM logger closes, then all band buttons in the Band Panel will be at the last used frequency when N1MM is started agaicw

n.,

However, by the same token, if the Band Map window is open when N1MM is closed, then the 20 meter frequency button in the Band Panel will default to 14.200 MHz.

I have run this exercise many times and it always follows that if the Band Map window is OPEN when closing N1MM, 20 meter Band Panel button will default to 14.200 MHz, and conversely when the Band Map window is closed when N1MM is closed, then, the next time N1MM is started, the 20 meter Band Panel button will be at the last used frequency.

I don't have a solution to the problem, but at least I can have a way to prevent it from giving me any more problems.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

gksmith_1

gksmith_1

Good morning to all.

First I would like to say Thank You to everyone who has worked on this condition.

This morning I updated N1MM Logger + to version 1.0.8280.0
I am afraid that I have to say that the problem still exists, and rather than have everyone sorting through all the messages, I will start again from the beginning.

Computer information is as follows:

Core i7   3.2 GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro  Version 1909 - last updated 3-26-2020

The troublesome condition that exists is the 20 meter button in the Band Panel.

If you use the N1MM program, it is supposed to save the last used frequency, per band and mode, in the Band Panel.

It will do this unless you have the Bandmap window open.

I will now give you the snips of the Entry Window and the last used frequencies with only the following windows used with N1MM open

Entry Window
Digital Interface Window
Log
MMTTY
Score Summary

The radio is CAT controlled and follows the program, and the program also follows the radio, if mode or frequency on the radio is changed, the program reflects the changes.
--------------------------

The contest is the BARTGSRTTY Spring HF contest

The log is a new one and does not have any contacts in it.

The following is the setup in config

Now, with this setup, the program, N1MM, remembers the last used frequency, by band and mode.
And, it will remember the frequency even if you shut down and restart N1MM.

The following are the snips of each band as set to the last used frequency

Now, if I open the Bandmap window, all the "last used frequencies" will still be intact as above.

BUT, if, with the Bandmap window OPEN, I close N1MM and re-open the program, I get the following:

Please note, the now indicated, previously remembered frequency for 20 meters.  It has changed to 14.200.

And the only thing different is that the Bandmap window is now open when N1MM is shut down and restarted.

The Radio has been set to 80 meters for this entire exercise, that is, after the last worked frequencies for each band were created.

It seems odd that it is only the 20 meter band, of the 5 that I tested, that has this anomaly.

Thanks to all who have a hand in working on this situation.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

VE9AA - Mike

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it would appear you think this is a very serious issue. (because of the plethora of detailed messages)
(until they get it fixed--if it's broken), couldn't you just hit the band button on the front panel
of your radio
or
type the frequency into the log entry window (where a callsign normally goes)
(or even click on a spot if you're assisted, in the avail mults/q's window)

In >150,000 Q's the past 10 yrs I've used the band buttons a few dozen times and it doesn't seem to slow me down any.

I am not making light of the issue, just offering that there are at least 3 other ways to make your logger go to a certain freq.

GL with your issue.

With respect,

Mike VE9AA
--
Mike VE9AA

gksmith_1

Hi Mike,

No, I do not think that this is a serious problem, but I appreciate that you took time to reply,

This entry of mine was not to make this seem like a serious problem.

As I had said previously, now that I know how to  avoid it, by shutting down the Bandmap prior to shutting down N1MM, it will not cause me any more grief.

However, having said that, I did want to let the development team know that the problem was not solved, and to ensure that I had adequately described the problem without ambiguity in case anyone else thought that this was just a small indication of a larger problem.

As  far as I am concerned I will not pursue it any further.

Thanks to all for all the hard work that is done on this project, and I, with my simple setup, will continue to enjoy the contests and the ease with which a contest can be conducted using N1MM Logger.

73 de WA3ZSC - Jerry

Jamie WW3S

No Jerry doesn’t think it’s serious...he took the time to give detailed messages so the developers may see what’s going on...he hesitated even posting here, for fear of a reply just like you gave him....it’s been going on for a while now, it was reported by another individual last year....and one of the developers did reply that he sees something odd when closing the program with the band map open....I saw the similar problem as Jerry, in my case it was 80m, always going to 3.983....I “fixed” mine by typing 3.580 in the entry window , and after that, it always went to 3.580....I’m the one that started this thread, with fixed in the title.... if you don’t have anything nice to say, maybe don’t say it at all....and if the “plethora of messages” annoys you, just delete and move on. I’m aware of several users with issues that they refuse to ask about, because they feel they get shamed by a certain few.....btw, I’m annoyed by the plethora of your 2 keyboard messages, but I just delete them....

On Mar 31, 2020, at 1:35 PM, VE9AA - Mike <ve9aa@...> wrote:

[...]

I spent a couple of hours on this and I believe the RTTY frequency is being corrupted by the USB frequency.

I have verified that the 20m RTTY frequency is saved in the database on exit correctly and loaded correctly from the database at startup. There are pieces to this puzzle.

I will look at this when I get time.

John, K3CT

[...]

John,

Thank you.